Cash or Travelers Checks

Travel discussion for St. John
Michigan Girls #2

Cash or Travelers Checks

Post by Michigan Girls #2 »

Just wondering if we should bring cash or get travelers checks? Do most of the businesses take Travelers checks - like Snuba,Snorkeling, Digny Rental, etc.

Thanks.
Michigan Girls #2
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

I haven't seen any one using traveler's checks on STJ at all during my 5 trips there. I've always used cash or charge cards. There are a few businesses that take cash only but other than that, it's just like vacationing anywhere on the mainland. Personally I wouldn't bother with traveler's checks.
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

I second that... traveller's checks are too much of a hassle.
Tami
Image[/url]
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

Ditto, cash for most meals, taxis, tips and credit cards for bigger purchases.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We've used Traveler's checks with no problems. Depends on what makes you comfortable,
janet
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I don't know why but I think travelers checks are a pain.
I bring case, and then get more from the ATM when I need it. Never had an issue getting cash from an ATM.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

If we are traveling for an extended period of time, we bring traveler's checks. Not to use for purchases but, to be able to cash in at a local bank for emergency cash. We don't want to rely on an ATM or carry excessive amounts of cash when we travel.

If we are gone for only a week, cash and credit cards are all we take. Two or more weeks, cash, credit cards and traveler's checks.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

I brought them to St. John this year because I didn't trust the ATMs to be always working. I didn't need them until the end when the woman at St John car rental gave us a big discount on one of our cars because of a problem we had but said it was to complicated to do both cars on a credit card so pay for one cash or travellers checks- so they unexpectedly came in handy. They are free from AAA if you belong. However I agree that almost everywhere takes credit cards so you probably won't need the checks.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

We've used them, no problem. Mostly we use cash and credit, but have had no problems with the travelers checks. Your call!
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Best TIP....pack half as much and bring Twice the amount of money