Johnson Bay cell service?

Travel discussion for St. John
tedprosser

Johnson Bay cell service?

Post by tedprosser »

Can anyone tell me if you can get cell phone service while on the hook in Johnson Bay?
I know they do not work if you are on land near Johnson Bay
P-600

Post by P-600 »

Not sure where the hook is but we stayed at Rainbow Beach right on Johnson Bay last month and we didn't have any cell service with both Verizon and Sprint. Sprint never works for us on the Coral Bay side. My daughter had much better coverage with her Verizon phone than we did with Sprint on the island overall.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
tedprosser

Post by tedprosser »

Thanks Julie

On the Hook , or on a boat in Johnson Bay
tedprosser

Post by tedprosser »

I am hoping that the coverage would be better out in the bay, on a boat vs on land, I have never been able to get any cell service on land up that way

Any comments on the New Inovative Cell Service that was launched in Nov?? Claiming better coverage On STJ and Coral Bay
conchman

Post by conchman »

Ditto, We always have to go to B-Mountain to get a signal(Verizon)...I am so happy just to get a signal its likely jumping to the BVI's and costing me a fortune...never checked, just pay the mongo bill after we get back
http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

"If I had trouble the warranty said, Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"
RickG

Post by RickG »

On the Salt Pond Bay road I start to lose mobile coverage as soon as the Bordeaux Mountain tower gets occluded, right about Island Blues. The cafe at Concordia has occasional GSM signal, enough that a random text message will pop through.

In November we had great GSM coverage on the south side of East End, again line of sight to the Bordeaux tower.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I thought I read somewhere that AT&T coverage was good on the Coral Bay side?? I am considering just getting a pay as you go phone for while we're there, as it doesn't look like my Verizon phone will cut it?
augie

Post by augie »

michigan girls wrote:I thought I read somewhere that AT&T coverage was good on the Coral Bay side?? I am considering just getting a pay as you go phone for while we're there, as it doesn't look like my Verizon phone will cut it?
That's what we've done the last few trips. Signals tend to be very spotty (at best!) away from Cruz Bay with our Verizon phones.
Come see us!
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

But the pay-go phones from AT&T worked ok for you? If so, I think I'll order one today :)
augie

Post by augie »

michigan girls wrote:But the pay-go phones from AT&T worked ok for you? If so, I think I'll order one today :)
Yes, they've worked out pretty well.
Come see us!
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Thanks - just ordered one :)