Villa Suggestions

Travel discussion for St. John
News of St. John

Villa Suggestions

Post by News of St. John »

Hi everyone-

Here is my wish list:

Breathtaking daytime views of water, not mountains. (Some mountains are ok :))

Sunset views (Had sunrise on my past trip)

Sleeps 6 comfortable

Outdoor area for entertainment - preferable an outdoor kitchen, large deck - we plan to spend a good amount of time outside after dark

Hot tub

Closer to Cruz Bay than Coral Bay (Stayed on Ajax Peak last trip)

Would love to have North Shore views but highly unlikely

Budget: $5,000-ish for New Year's

I absolutely love Coconuts and think it is a great deal. I am just curious if there are similar properties, especially similar properties with a North Shore view.

Thanks!
Jenn, News of St. John
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Try Aurora from Catered To. The views are fabulous, and outdoor areas have nice cushioned chairs, including a table for six. The kitchen isn't outdoors, but there's a very nice Weber grill. We had Ted from Ted's Supper Club cook for us there, and he seemed happy with the set-up. (Other than that, we don't cook in.) The only thing missing from your list is a hot tub. But the pool has great views, and we spent a lot of time in it at night looking out toward St. John. Highly recommend it.
News of St. John

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately it's a bit above my price range. I just started looking at Cinnamon Tarn. The views are amazing but the sunset views would not be as great as those at Coconuts on Gifft Hill. I guess I have to decide what is more important...
Jenn, News of St. John
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I have stayed at Cinnamon Tarn twice. It is a lovely, lovely house, but I think you may feel a little cramped with six people. There is no outdoor kitchen--and the inside kitchen is rather basic (but perfectly functional) and the deck is rather small and not covered. There is a HUGE hot tub though! The views are beautiful but you will not see the sun setting from this house--the sun is just a bit further to the left.

Another thing to consider is sound privacy depending on what your setup of six people is. Two of the bedrooms are across from each other via a breezeway, and the doors are louvred, not solid, so if you have a snorer in the group, or (ahem) other noises, you should know that people elsewhere in the house will be able to hear you. The third bedroom is upstairs and has a roof deck with the best views of all but there is no door on the entry to the room. Also, the bathroom walls in the bedrooms don't go all the way to the ceiling, so there's a noise issue there as well.

I would rent it again in a heatbeat if it was just John and I, but not with a group. Just my opinion of course!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
News of St. John

Thanks Liamsaunt! Those are a lot of great points to think about. It would be myself and my husband, my parents and my two boys. I am not worried about feeling cramped but the noise thing may be an issue. Thanks again!
Jenn, News of St. John
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I like Alesandra but not sure if it will be in your budget with the holiday
Tom
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Second Wind in Reef Bay offers all the above except the sunset view. Marvelous sunrise but sadly not sunset.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Knolmom

Villas

Post by Knolmom »

Responded to your PM and also think you should look at Kia Ora at Privatehomesvi because of your budget. Not fancy at all but nice outdoor areas and sunset views.
lorijo

Post by lorijo »

Coconuts is FANTASTIC with all the requirements that you stated...I can't wait to go back.. the outdoor spaces are great and I love the kitchen! Beautiful property!!
News of St. John

Thank you for all the great suggestions!

Knolmom- I have replied to you twice. But it looks like they were never sent. Odd...hope you got them!

So after looking at possible every villa on the island (some several times!), it looks like we are going with Coconuts. I am super excited. Just waiting to receive the rental agreement to make it official.

I am so excited to share such a special place with my children and parents. I can only hope that they love it just as much as I do. I'm sure they will... :)
Jenn, News of St. John
Knolmom

Villas

Post by Knolmom »

Did get your PM today's and yes, I do feel that Cinnamon Tarn is more a romantic getaway place and Coconuts is more q family house. Also feel that Coconuts may be a superior choice to Kia Ora. A
L things considered, though, I would give anything to be able to return to Cinn Tarn someday, it just never fits in with our plans. If you read my past posts you may recall that it was where my Now DH and I decided that we would get married and that it would be on St John. We actually had our wedding reception at he house next door---Island Sun.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi CTBG - Congratulations on your villa decision. I think you will be very happy at Coconuts. I'll write a villa review when we return from our trip.
efrank

Post by efrank »

I see you've already decided, but I just wanted to give you a backup suggestion in case something doesn't work out with the other. Have you looked at Sago Palms? DH and I had a wonderful time there in '08. It should sleep 6 comfortably although we only used 1 bedroom. Views of water were great, and I believe I got some good sunset views off the upper deck.
petepie

Post by petepie »

Also check out Vistaero - best view I've seen at a villa. 180 degrees over Rendezvous bay with sweep to the east to catch sunset over St. Thomas. Huges public spaces (decks, great room) and huge pool and hot tub. Stayed there in 2009, since then some reviews have said needs maintenance, so ask lots of questions about current condition.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Cali Caribe an Argonauta up on Contant Point have always caught my eye for views and proximity to town. I believe they are next to each other. Pretty sure Liams Aunt has stayed at Argonauta...