? Best Snorkel Set

Travel discussion for St. John
JohnThomas

? Best Snorkel Set

Post by JohnThomas »

Hi,

Tried to do a search as I know this topic has come up many times but I had no luck. I am wondering which snorkel set everyone recommends. I need to buy 5 sets so I would like to spend no more than $100 for each set. In my research I have seen the US Divers set on Amazon for about 89. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

:)
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Hi John, I'm no expert- but I'm sure the experts will chime in soon. I will tell you, however, I think the best set is one that fit's comfortably & seals all along the contours of where it touches your face. You can test thus when by putting the mask over your face without the strap, and suck air in through your nose, if it stays attached to your face and no air comes in, it's a good fit. Years ago I went out & bought sets that were around $55 and they all leaked because they weren't good fits. Since then, we've rented equipment from Cruz Bay Watersports & Crabby's on St. John and they've always been fantastic!!
Peace,

Lisa
JohnThomas

Post by JohnThomas »

lpowmacback- Hi, Thanks! Renting did cross my mind but I wasn't sure of the quality of the sets. I may consider this if I can't find what I am looking for! :)
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Lisa's got it right. It is not a good idea to buy a mask without trying it on. It's a lot like buying shoes. Even though you wear a 10, some 10s don't feel right. If you do that with shoes, you can get a blister. If you do that with masks, you get an unaccpetable snorlel experience.

Have a great trip

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

After buying multiple snorkel sets in the $50-60 range I have found that the best solution for a well-fitting mask is to go to a dive shop to try them on. You can get a good mask for around $70. Snorkeling with an ill-fitting mask is terrible...you can't see well and you're constantly emptying out the water. If you rent, other than it being costly compared to the price of buying, you might not get a mask that fits well.

I find that the sets (normally include a mask, snorkel, and fins) don't come with great masks, and the mask is by far the most important component.

It will cost about $50 per person for a weekly snorkel set rental, so if you're staying for a couple weeks or use the stuff more than once you've made up the cost of purchasing it.

You can buy fins and a snorkel separately or just buy snorkels and rent fins on STJ. We take fins with us but if I had to take 5 sets of fins I might decide to rent instead.

The first time we went to STJ we rented snorkel sets and it grossed me out to have my mouth clamped down on a snorkel that contained a bunch of other people's teeth marks.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

I'm in no way an expert but we bought new snorkel gear last year from Low Key watersports and what I learned there is that there is no best set for everyone. The set for my wife was ~100.00 and mine was ~$75.00. The woman at Low Key matched the mask to our face shape and we are both very pleased with the fit and the price. I really liked buying the equipment and going out the same day and trying it out.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
JohnThomas

Post by JohnThomas »

Thanks everyone! I have been to a dive shop near me but found that they were overpriced and had a limited selection. I will try to find a bigger/better shop to see what I find! Teeth marks on the snorkel? Wow..not sure if that would go over well with the relatives, lol! I forgot to mention I used to have a basic US Divers snorkel set I bought from Costco. It really wasn't too bad but I got it so long ago and want something a little better. It was about 50 for the set. I will continue my search! Thanks!!!!
strat62

Post by strat62 »

Teresa_Rae wrote:After buying multiple snorkel sets in the $50-60 range I have found that the best solution for a well-fitting mask is to go to a dive shop to try them on. You can get a good mask for around $70. Snorkeling with an ill-fitting mask is terrible...you can't see well and you're constantly emptying out the water. If you rent, other than it being costly compared to the price of buying, you might not get a mask that fits well.

I find that the sets (normally include a mask, snorkel, and fins) don't come with great masks, and the mask is by far the most important component.

It will cost about $50 per person for a weekly snorkel set rental, so if you're staying for a couple weeks or use the stuff more than once you've made up the cost of purchasing it.

You can buy fins and a snorkel separately or just buy snorkels and rent fins on STJ. We take fins with us but if I had to take 5 sets of fins I might decide to rent instead.

The first time we went to STJ we rented snorkel sets and it grossed me out to have my mouth clamped down on a snorkel that contained a bunch of other people's teeth marks.
^^^ Good advice ^^^
another thing to consider is if you wear glasses you can get a mask with your rx in the lens. i'm always fumbling with my camera trying to read the print/icons with poor light, wish i would have gone the rx route...
cmw5682

Post by cmw5682 »

I always rent bc I know if it leaks I can take it back and trade for one that fits better! They claim to sanitize everything so I try not to think about the ick factor.
Sadly, I am tickerless :(
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

While there is no doubt that the best method is to go to a shop and be fitted, the expense factor can come into play.

I bought two Deep Blue two-window masks and Ultra-Dry Snorkels along with AquaLung Sport short travel fins.
I picked this up in a package from Snorkle-Mart @ $53.00 I snorkeled for hours every day, all week long with zero issues.

Higher end equip with pro fitting certainly works well, but if you're looing to outfit 5 folks, other options would seem to be
adequate unless someone has a horribly misshapen face.

A bit of advice. I have a moustache and one-window masks always gave me problems with an adequate seal. I bought the
two-window with a solid nose cover and this totally eliminated any seal concerns. The seal extends at least 1 in on all sides.
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Well many great points have been made, so I only want to add one. You're spending probably over $2000 for flights for 5 people......if staying in a villa maybe another $4k. Add in another $1000 for food and car. You're up to $7k for the trip.....to a premier snorkel spot on our planet....then you want to save maybe $30/set by buying snorkel gear from Costco or Sports Authority?

Sorry, but there is nothing worse than being in the middle of your Waterlemon snorkel and your mask is leaking, or your flippers hurt your feet. Then you have to waste precious time on island getting decent gear. As others have said, don't skimp on your snorkel gear. Buy what fits best from a qualified dive shop. I've had my gear for maybe 13 years, take care of it and you'll use it on all your future STJ trips! It will pay back many times over.

Have fun!
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Everything all the others have said about fitting the mask (esp.) and fins! It is worth it!!! If you are dealing with adults, get them to purchace their own, or give them as birthday gifts etc. We like the travel fins by US divers. (Got a great deal through campmore) They fit in cary on luggage. What we did was to give fins and snorkels as gifts, and the mask is their deal. (rent or buy)
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

ClevelandDave wrote:I bought two Deep Blue two-window masks and Ultra-Dry Snorkels along with AquaLung Sport short travel fins.
I picked this up in a package from Snorkle-Mart @ $53.00 I snorkeled for hours every day, all week long with zero issues.
I am glad that this worked for you and it works for many others. There is no doubt that one can buy a mask in this way and make it work. If this method never worked, they couldn't stay in business. It is not, however, as sure a thing as fitting it to your face before you buy it.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

JohnThomas

Post by JohnThomas »

Thanks again everyone!

SurfNH-Hi! You are absolutely right! By the way, I live right near you in Dunstable! :)So, do you know of any good dive shops around here?

I can see both points..but my trip consists of my daughter, her boyfriend, mother-in-law, myself, my husband and our baby. Two of which have never snorkeled, so buying an expensive set for the two may not be worth it. My husband and myself on the other hand go to St. John every year so I will invest thanks to all your advice! :)
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

That baby's gonna be tough to fit! :lol: