Coral Bay - Anyplace to get sandwiches made?

Travel discussion for St. John
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Chris @ Work wrote:I am all for saving money but the Pink Cadillac at the Grotto is fabulous and we always split one on the beach. Not in Coral Bay but worth the trip?
I'm planning on getting that sandwich, probably our first day and packing it to Solomon! :D
I want to try Sam and Jack's too. I don't think it was there last time I was.
Once the rest of our crew arrives, I'll be making sandwiches. I'm usually the first one up and I enjoy making the food and packing the coolers! I do like to occasionally pick them up as well, so hopefully there are some good options in Coral Bay this spring :D
Image[/url]
inuny

Post by inuny »

I think that Lily's Market (upstairs from Aqua Bistro) makes sandwiches now
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Xislamdgirl - You really want to know why I choose to rent a villa? Lol. It's not so I can make a sandwich (which I do every night before I have to go to work). It's so that I can lie naked on the deck.
inuny

Post by inuny »

Need2getaway--now people on the forum will want to rent the villa next to you!!

It's been so warm upstate-you can almost sunbathe now.
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

:-D cute :-D
Peace,

Lisa
loria

Post by loria »

i get the whole not wanting to make lunch thing... in all our trips as a family we have either stayed at maho, concordia or in a house. i generally get up and while making breakfast make tuna salad or egg salad or sandwiches with cold cuts ... plus pack several million drinks, snacks,
(which need to be repackaged, etc. etc..We ARE leaving the house for the day, so .... hungry kids? not a good thing, feeding teens? have you ever seen what a 13 yr old boy can actually eat in an afternoon after snorkeling? )

And,in general i make several lunches every single day of the bloody week the entire rest of the year....at home, for school, etc. it's work. no two ways about it.

it takes a bunch of time, effort, energy -- i know that seems inane,HOW COULD I NOT make a sandwich... but it does take effort, (This is in addition to me trying to get the car packed with snorkel gear and the family out of the house , which is like herding damn cats..) so .chopping celery, boiling eggs, peeling them, washing lettuce, cutting tomatoes, etc, . THEN I usually end up packing everything separately since the sandwiches (if they are NOT from cold cuts-- in which case spreads only are packed separately) -usually would be a soggy flipping mess by the time lunch rolled around (oh, that is if the was anything left after my son got in the car and said 'i am hungry what's there to eat?)"

BLEH! I am already cooking dinner most nights and i am here on Vacation-- i need a vacation from yet another kitchen sink.... so I would really welcome a store bought sandwich with stuff that i don't generally have on hand when we are there (say a nice basil mayo, or sun dried tomatoes...) Hell, i would actually love someone from a deli to come up and MAKE me a damn sandwich.....since when i do buy a deli sandwich (usually on a dinghy day since we have to be out so early) by the time we get around to eating them mine is usually a soggy mess.... probably bad ordering on my part.... but.....
ok, maybe we're weird....
anyway, i totally get buying a sandwich....rant over......

but it gets expensive....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Need2GetAway wrote:Xislamdgirl - You really want to know why I choose to rent a villa? Lol. It's not so I can make a sandwich (which I do every night before I have to go to work). It's so that I can lie naked on the deck.
That is an answer I was looking for. I really was curious. It certainly has no affect on me at all, I just assumed that most people that rent villas do so because it gives them the option to prepare meals.
It would never occur to me to rent a villa in order to lie naked on the deck so I learned something new today. :lol:
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We like to rent a villa so we have our own private space, including our own pool, and more space than a condo or hotel room would provide. So there are other reasons to stay in a villa. Having a kitchen so we can make our own meals, and have the snacks and drinks we want available is part of it too. Hubby definitely likes having a blender to make fruity smoothie type concoctions.

Sometimes we make & pack sandwiches, cut up veggies, fruit, nuts and cookies, so we can spend an entire day at the beach and not leave to go get lunch at a restaurant. We occasionally cook dinner, especially when we travel with friends. We love to get carry-out from Sogos, which is not far from our Gifft Hill villa, and eat it on our deck with the lovely view. We have also bought some pre-made food from the deli at Starfish and taken that on a picnic. One year we had a nice couscous and chicken salad from Starfish. It is pricey, but so is buying all the fixings from the grocery store, especially when its the two of us.

I don't like to plan meals, grocery shop, cook, or even deal with food prep, especially on vacation. I could somewhat relate to Loria's description of her chores, although no teen boys in our group. I would have someone grocery shop and make everything if I was a zillionaire. I admire people like Liamsaunt who can just whip together tasty, appealing looking meals with seemingly little effort, but that's not us.
loria

Post by loria »

Xislandgirl wrote:
Need2GetAway wrote:Xislamdgirl - You really want to know why I choose to rent a villa? Lol. It's not so I can make a sandwich (which I do every night before I have to go to work). It's so that I can lie naked on the deck.
That is an answer I was looking for. I really was curious. It certainly has no affect on me at all, I just assumed that most people that rent villas do so because it gives them the option to prepare meals.
It would never occur to me to rent a villa in order to lie naked on the deck so I learned something new today. :lol:
you can rest assured that i am NOT lying nekkid... (oh, it would be nice though, i think....maybe....) we rent because it gives us space and privacy--we don't bother anyone, we have a fridge etc... but there are times that just disengaging from the whole food prep thing is nice (and i really do like to cook. despite the current rant)
maybe i should just travel by myself.... then i would just have to make lunch for one.... the might work nicely......
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
barnbob

Post by barnbob »

You can get deli subs made on fresh buns at Lilly's after 10am ASSUMING someone makes the bread before then. The deli girl comes in at 10am. If not, you have to wait 45 minutes for her to make bread. I continuously voice my opinion to them that they should have the bread made earlier to accomodate people going to the beach.
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Oh wow, how did I miss this thread? Have to add one thing, if I was your husband "need2getaway", I'd most definitely be making those sandwiches and personally serving you on the deck! Just hate those tan lines!!!!

Regarding lunch, a couple points....

We would never make a breakfast or lunch for our kids while on vacation. We tell them the bus leaves the villa at 9am, be packed and on it if you want to come. Especially a 13 year old, put him to work. You didn't pay for a STJ vacation in order to serve everyone else.

Actually we never pack food while on island, that's why we like to rent near Ajax Peak, easy access to north and south side beaches. We do a morning snorkel and mini beach time each morning, head back to villa for lunch and during the hottest sun, then head back out for an afternoon beach by 2pm. Making and packing lunch for a large group would just slow us down.
tothectothec

Post by tothectothec »

Loria, Sounds like you need a vacation for "You" and leave the kids at home
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Loria, I absolutely loved your rant...laughing out loud reading it! So much "sandwich anger" in that reply! I really don't have any other opinions about sandwiches other than I could eat the Pink Cadillac every day for the whole vacation - that is an awesome sandwich! :D
loria

Post by loria »

tothectothec wrote:Loria, Sounds like you need a vacation for "You" and leave the kids at home
ha! guess i had a bit of pent up baloney (pun intended) . it's really not so bad..... I just got back from almost three weeks in India and i didn't make ONE meal.... Maybe that's my problem....
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Here's the final verdict on the Coral Bay sandwich problemo...lol:

Lily's won't make a sandwich before 10:00 (too late for us early birds). Donkey Diner very kindly made us an excellent ham and cheese sandwich for $6 (at 8:30 a.m.) and they don't even have sandwiches on the menu! So nice!!!