Is May off-season or season?

Travel discussion for St. John
TraumaQueen

Is May off-season or season?

Post by TraumaQueen »

I've been reading about shops/restaurants closing early during off-season and would like to plan accordingly. We'll be there for 10 days in the middle of May. Should we plan for off-season hours or season hours?

Also, we'd like to go to Charlotte Amalie to tour the historic sites and shop. Am I correct in thinking we should go when a cruise ship is docked? I've been to STT several times on a cruise and always went straight to a beach or STJ right when we got off the ship. Now that we'll have the time, I'd like to see the stairs, emancipation square, etc.

Thank y'all for the tips!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

May is off-season but the restaurants and shops don't close until the off off-season which is September to October.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Thank you for clearing that up and not making me feel stupid.

Do you know if I'm correct in the thinking that the day to be in CA is when at least one cruise ship is in port?
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

Only if you want to shop in the kiosks set up around the docks. Otherwise, I would consider that to be a day NOT to be in CA :)
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We never go to STT, but having passed through a lot, it seems like many of the shops are closed when ships aren't in port. But someone else probably knows more about that than I do.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
toni

Post by toni »

I actually don't mind shopping in CA. I prefer when there's more people just because I don't get as "bothered" by the salespeople when I'm shopping for jewelry. The more people the better though some of the smaller stores can get crowded.

Have a great time; I'd think may would be a perfect month.
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Some villas and hotels start dropping their prices around May 15th. I would consider it more "shoulder Season". The shops are still open regular hours.

We enjoy shopping in CA, but plan our time there according to the ship schedules. It does seem accurate that many places close up if there are no ships in port. However, you also do not want to go if there are several in port. It can get REALLY crowded. We try to go on a day when there are 1 or 2 ships in. Still a bit crowded, but not as bad.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Thank y'all for you input! Have a great weekend! 96 more days!