St John: I "get" it now - A quick trip report *With pics*

Travel discussion for St. John
News of St. John

St John: I "get" it now - A quick trip report *With pics*

Post by News of St. John »

Edited on Nov. 3, 2012: I just learned how to embed pictures, so please check them out.

Today, sadly, is my last day here on the lovely island of St. John. I thought I would write a quick trip report before we pack up and leave. Sniff, sniff.

My husband and I arrived last Friday. Granted this is a lovely island but for the first day or two, we really didn't get the obsession people had with it. It seemed like everyone we talked to had been here multiple times. Well after being here for a week, I can say that I totally get it.

We stayed at a small villa on Ajax Peak, which had a great view of Coral Bay. The best part is that it is about a 5-7 minute drive from my new favorite place - Maho Bay.

The view from Creolla on Ajax Peak:

One of my new friends at Maho:

I fell in love with Maho Bay the moment I got there. And the funny things is that it poured the first day we went there. But it didn't matter - Maho was created with me in mind.

Other things I fell in love with:

1. Donkey Diner: Best breakfast ever.

2. Cafe Roma: The food is great and so are the employees. Luke is the best bartender and Marilyn, the cook, even came out and gave us massages the first night we were there.

3. Captain John: The best day on the island was spent with Palm Tree Charters.

Captain John: "You can't drink all day if you never start!"
Taken at 8:30 a.m. - Hey, we were in the islands!

The Caves:

Bushwacker, mmmmm.....

Loving life at the Willy T!

4. Donkeys: I loved spending a little quite time with them outside of the villa each morning while my husband slept.

5. The tree frog that lived in my shower: Super cute and kept his distance. :)

Things I didn't like:

1. Reef Bay hike: It just wasn't my thing but my husband really enjoyed it.

2. The Tripadvisor message board: I posted an honest opinion regarding the weather down here (it has been raining a lot here so far this year) and I had a regular poster jump down my throat and essentially say it wasn't true. If we can't express opinions there, why even call it a forum???

That's about it. I promise to post a detailed trip report when I get home. But for now, I will leave you with this video that I took yesterday at my beloved Maho Bay.

http://youtu.be/0-_7vFUhQ0Y
Last edited by News of St. John on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jenn, News of St. John
Chris @ Work

Post by Chris @ Work »

Welcome to the addiction that is STJ

Glad you had a great time despite the rain (and comments to the contrary) and looking forward to your trip report. I think your 'limin' moment came at Maho or maybe in the early morning visits with the donkeys but your acceptance of the frog in your shower really indicates you got it. 8)

Here's to hoping Maho will remain the same given the recent land for sale posting. I'm really praying for a lotto winner now.
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

Jenn -- I'm so glad that you love STJ as much as we do. After reading your trip report, it is clear to me that you do "get it". I will agree with you that it has rained a lot this trip. We got chased off of Maho early on in our trip, but yesterday and by the looks of today, the weather looks just beautiful. We don't leave till tomorrow, so we have one more day to enjoy the magic that is St. John. I hear your sniff's over here in Fish Bay... Safe Travels, and it was really nice to meet you and your husband.
Tami
Image[/url]
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Glad you get it!
You have had some funky weather and that TA poster is a cranky old tart at times, don't worry about her! :lol:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We look forward to trying the Donkey Diner. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your trip and happy anniversary!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I agree with the others. Now that you "get" it (STJ), you've got it (the STJ addiction).

Happy aniversary.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Very nice trip report... I can't stand long ones (sorry to you verbose folks) and this one was just right!! Glad you enjoyed & "get it." :)
Peace,

Lisa
rpplano

Post by rpplano »

We both need new tickers. :(
nascarfan59

Post by nascarfan59 »

I'm not addicted but my ticker says otherwise.

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Oh, the walk of woe day.... sorry you had to leave. it's hard!

Welcome to the addiction- it's a good one. Fantastic video.

And yes, Donkey Diner is the best breakfast EVER.

I think the combo of Maho and the donkeys (plus a little diner) just threw you over ;-)

Hope you get to go back soon!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Loved your TR...made me miss it all so much more than ever...
I loved your short videos & pix, thanks so much for taking the time out to share!
Hope to meet up with yous guys down there some day-
Thanks again-
Smiles-
MJ
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Jim, that should be on a tshirt!!!
News of St. John

Re: St John: I "get" it now - A quick trip report *With pics

Post by News of St. John »

Hi everyone-

I just added some pictures to my last trip report, so I thought I would bump it to the top. Enjoy!
Jenn, News of St. John
kirk

Post by kirk »

I live here so, I get it too. Sadly many don't. One of the best trip reports I've read on this forum.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks for adding pics!!! Love the one of you in the cave - that's a neat perspective we don't see often.