Weather

Travel discussion for St. John
wholealmonds

Weather

Post by wholealmonds »

Hi all,

I'm visiting St. John In the middle of February this year. I'm coming from Boston, but have read some posts that it's been a little colder than usual down there. It seems most days just make it to 80 there, and the water temps are around 79. Are other tourists swimming / snorkeling? Are the north shore bays too rough for snorkeling? I'm starting to get a little worried that it'll be a bit chilly when I visit.

There's really not much I can do, even if the water is a little on the chilly side, a wet suit would probably be way overboard!

Thanks for any reports from the island!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I don't own one, but I think some people buy rashguards to keep them warm.
I never felt cold in the water, until last May's visit, when I really did. I think a rashguard will be on my shopping list for this next visit. I tend to feel cold when others aren't... Could someone like me comment on whether your legs still feel cold, when wearing a rashguard? Does keeping just your core covered make enough of a difference?
Splasher54

rashguard

Post by Splasher54 »

A rashguard will protect you from the sun, but not really keep you warm. Get something that has neoprene, even 1mm will help. I teach swimming and I am in the water about 8 hours a day. I use a neoprene long sleeve top when I am cold. Also, I will wear a fleece workout top underneath to trap the warm air. We are here in St John now and I feel like it is a little cooler than previous trips we have made in January. Still almost 80, but more rain than before and the water seems a bit cooler. Swim Outlet is a good site for neoprene tops or try a dive shop.
(Message Boards code, FertilityFriend.com's boards, phpBB based Image
wholealmonds

Post by wholealmonds »

Thank you Splash and mindehankins.

Splash, you're on the island at the moment? In your opinion, do you think it's worth getting one of those neoprene shirts given how the water is feeling over there? Or would it be way too hot if the water is 79ish?

Thank you
Splasher54

Post by Splasher54 »

I debated bringing one of mine, but decided against it. I have a couple of rashguards with me for sun protection, but haven't needed one yet. I think the water has been a little cooler this trip, but I have only been staying in about an hour each time. Normally we are in for 4 + hours per day. If you tend to get cold, you might want to bring one if you plan to stay in the water a long time. 1-3mm should be sufficient. Hope this helps!
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Everybody's different so it's hard to make a recommendation for someone else. Frankly, I used to wonder about people who thought it was too cool. After visiting in January and February and having no problem I thought some folks must just be batty.

BUT, on our visit this past December I have to admit I got a little cool one day when the wind was blowing in from the north and I was neck deep in the water at Trunk. So, if you think you might need something to stay warm I would err on the safe side.
wholealmonds

Post by wholealmonds »

Thanks so muh for the info all. I'm going to pick up a wetsuit top just to be on the safe side (love swimming and snorkeling so want to maximize my time in the water!). If I don't need it, I can use it in the ever-cold waters around the Northeast.

I'll send a report up once I get down there in February.

Thanks
wholealmonds

Post by wholealmonds »

Oh and I'll probably go with one of these:

1.5mm
http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuits-H ... 59&sr=1-47

Thermo:
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-60/1107 ... Guard.html

0.5mm
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/30170.htm

(probably gonna end up with heat exhaustion :P !!)
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

I have never been cold on any of our adventures in the Caribbean during Jan, Feb or March. However, last May I thought the water felt a little cooler than normal when I got in intially.. BUT the ocean temp in Maine rarely gets above 65* in the summer, so 70+ feels great!! :wink:
Splasher54

Post by Splasher54 »

You may want to consider long sleeve. When I am cold in the water, if my arms are cold it is worse. Not to mention the tan line! haha
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Just got back from "chilly" St. John!! :lol:

During our trip, the Weather Channel kept talking about "record lows" at night, but the weather felt like heaven to me -- more than warm enough in the sun, pleasantly cool in the shade. A tad cooler than our previous Nov/Dec trips, but still glorious.

The water wasn't the warmest I've ever experienced on St. John, but I never got out of the water because I was chilly (and I tend to snorkel for up to an hour at a time).

I wear a regular old loose-fit t-shirt-style rash guard and I was fine, but the neoprene rash guard is probably a good bet just in case (my surfer husband thinks the 1.5mm would probably be overkill, but don't take his word for it!)

I just got back last night and I wanted to turn the plane right back around...jealous! Have a lovely trip!!
wholealmonds

Post by wholealmonds »

Thanks for the report lark, I'm going to pick one up and bring it just in case. I can always use it here in the northeast in the summertime!
Splasher54

Post by Splasher54 »

The owners of the place we are staying told us the water is the coolest it has been in a long time. We always come in Jan and have never been cold before and this trip we cut way back on the snorkeling b/c of the water temp and the cool wind. It's still wonderful compared to NE, but too cool to snorkel for hours like we have done in the past. Good luck!
Barney&barbara

Post by Barney&barbara »

Hello we are leaving for St. John in 2 days ....do i need a light sweater at night ?
wholealmonds

Post by wholealmonds »

Ah bummer, I was hoping it'd be really warm for 24/7 snorkeling, oh well! Guess I've been spoiled by all my summer visits to the island. Maybe there'll be a heatwave before I arrive!