Any opinions welcome...

Travel discussion for St. John
JJShaw

Any opinions welcome...

Post by JJShaw »

Like many of you we are starting to plan our trip for this yr. Therefore Im wanting any suggestions or ideas and if you would do anything different than what we have planned so far...We want to try 2 Islands this time...
We plan on staying the first night on STT (open to suggestions as to where to stay for one night)..Catching the AM ferry to Jost for 2 days (probably stay st Ivans). Does anyone know where or how the snorkeling is over on Jost? Will 2 days over there be enough? We have only been to the Soggy Dollar when we visited both times. Catch the Ferry on Friday AM and spend the rest of our time on STJ. I havent made reservations yet for anything..as we are trying to decide about this...any opinions welcome...:)
[/url]
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I would love to do this but we never seem to have enough days to fit it all in.

I think your plan sounds awesome! I recommend staying at Crystal Palace on STT. Ronnie Lockhart owns it and it is a great spot with history.

If your budget allows, I would stay at Soggy Dollar. I am not much of a camper, so that may cloud my opinion.

I think 2 days is good for Jost. It really is a beaching island, I have no idea about snorkeling, but I think that I would get bored after 2 days.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

We did this 3 years ago and it was great! We did 8 nights on STJ then took the ferry to Jost for 2 nights. Our next trip we would like to end with 3 nights on Jost, it was such a wonderful way to end our vacation :) :)

If I were doing it in reverse I'd only do 2 nights on Jost though. It can get boring and I'd be anxious to get home to STJ to start snorkeling! :lol:

Enjoy......
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

We are also planning on doing this this year for the first time. We arrive on Wed and we do not check into our Villa until Saturday so we want to stay on another island.

We were thinking Jost or Virgin Gorda
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Thanks everyone...we are definetly going over to Jost for 2 days..However, Im curious if we should try to get a ferry over there on the day we arrive..maybe catch one to Tortola and then on to Jost (since the Jost one will have already left by the time we arrive)...anyone done this? Is it possible...or should we wait and head over in the AM with a 1st night on STT ?
Thanks again !!!!
[/url]
54b

Post by 54b »

Hey there, Shaws,

The Mrs. and I did an overnight on Jost two summers ago via the ferry and had a blast...funny how people always seem to say their time on Jost wasn't long enough regardless of the duration of their stay. I guess it's just one of those rare places.

That said, I know you to be the explorer types like Maura and I - more so than the limin kind...so I'd actually suggest you arrive on the morning ferry, stay the one night and then take the 3pm ferry over to STJ the next day. That way you get a day and a half on Jost and arrive on STJ at around 4pm, perfect time to pick up a rental car, meet a villa host or get to a campground.

Reason I think a day and a half would be enough is because I think it's plenty of time for you to see and do what Jost has to offer (or at least what you'd be most interested in)...for the most part, it's a boozin and t-shirt shoppin kind of island. I'll defer to others who may have a different opinion, but I've yet to hear anyone rave about any snorkel spots or mention anything in the way of hikes, ruins, tours, etc.

Wether you're in White Bay, Great Harbour or Little Harbour, the name of the game seems to be cocktails and hammocks...nothing wrong with that, few places do it better. And if the surf is up, I've heard the bubble pool is pretty cool, but otherwise, it's bars, hammocs, and T-Shirt shoppin.

Lodging - You are camping vets, so I think you'll enjoy Ivans...it stays pretty quiet on his side, except for maybe during the afternoon in the main hut where you'll find the honor bar.

Soggy's is just like a five minute walk over a small hill and you can go back and forth as you please. If you're up early, you can also go over to Soggy's and eat breakfast...I think it's normally reserved for the folks that stay there, but as long as there's an open table, it's all good.

I'd also rec going to Jost on a Saturday so you can do Foxy's BBQ buffet...it's a little pricey, but it's worth it. Just make sure you call over earlier in the day to make a reservation.

The one thing we haven't tried on Jost that people seem to love is a trip over to Little Harbour. I think Foxy's daughter has a little restaurant there where you get fresh rock lobster caught that day and I'd imagine it's just a quick cab ride over.

Speaking of...when you arrive, I'd make friends with the first cab driver you meet and keep his phone number handy...Jost isn't big, but you'll want to take a cab when going from White Bay to Great Harbour.

Last thing I'll say is make sure you get to the ferry early...it seems to be the one thing in the VI that isn't on Island Time and when they say 3pm, they mean 3pm. And since there's only one afternoon ferry, if you miss it, you're in for another night on Jost...then again, that's not a bad thing.

Hope that all helps.

We're heading back to STJ in late June this time with some friends...and our young KIDS!!! Should be interesting to say the least.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Thank 54B...I think we have decided to do just the one night..or just possibly do the ferry for the day...Im afraid we will get bored and I'll be kicking myself for not staying on STJ...as we are not much for limin very long...Im thinking we will do the trip toward the end of our stay on STJ...who knows by then we maybe ready for some limin..
Im sure your younger kids will love it and you will be glad they are there...having said that...and having taken mine(older and younger)...we are sansa kids this time.. :wink: We arrive the 5th...not sure how long we will stay..all depends on what we plan....but Im thinking we will leave around the 14th heading back home...sorry to know we will miss you guys by a few days...Hubby said to tell you his "purchase" from last yr is still in..lol
Take care and tell Ms Maura hello for us...:)
[/url]
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Sounds like some fun trip reports on the distant horizon :)
Yay!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Does anyone snorkel on Jost???
augie

Post by augie »

Steve S wrote:Does anyone snorkel on Jost???
I would - but the cups they serve painkillers in are too small for me to fit my head into.
Come see us!
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

augie wrote:
Steve S wrote:Does anyone snorkel on Jost???
I would - but the cups they serve painkillers in are too small for me to fit my head into.
*LOL* :lol:
~Brenda~