Key West Help

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Gigi

Key West Help

Post by Gigi »

I need some help planning a long weekend trip to Key West. I have never been there and am not sure of what is the best location to stay, etc. Also, wondering how crazy March is with the various spring breaks hitting throughout the month. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :D
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria and really enjoyed it. It has great on-grounds amenities like the pool and the beach. Never ate inside, but the poolside bar/cafe was great. Excellent service, really pretty grounds.

While you CAN walk to Duvall, you're best to take a taxi.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

My husband and I have been going to Key West since 2004 and continue to go every year either in March or April. Based on reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided to try the Gardens Hotel.

www.gardenshotel.com

We have been staying there ever since. The hotel is located within walking distance to everything in Key West. If you want to PM me, I can send you more info if you'd like. We're actually headed back in April!
Kealani

Post by Kealani »

We have also stayed at the Gardens and loved the Inn and location.- Key West is fun but totally different then the islands
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

Hi--we travel to Key West 3-4 times a year so feel free to pm me with any questions! What type of place are you looking for? Do you like bigger hotels, or B & B/inn type of places? I highly recommend staying in one of the Key West inns, there are many excellent ones. The key is location, you want a place in Old Town so you can walk/bicycle anywhere you want. Some of the chain hotels...MArriott, Hyatt, etc. are very nice but out of town, you have to take their shuttle to get into town and that can be a pain.

There is no Waldorf Astoria in Key West, but the Casa Marina is part of their hotel group...very nice place. A bit of a hike into town but on the beach. but I also concur on the recommendation of the Gardens Hotel, fantastic place! They have jazz in the gardens every Sunday and we go whenever we are in town. Other centrally located inns that we recommend are the Douglas House, Eden House, Heron House and Heron House Court.

Let me know if I can anaswer any questions!
[/url]
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

I friend of mine has been at Southernmost the past week. She said it was awesome.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

What do you all prefer for travel? To fly to Miami area and drive down or to catch a commuter flight into KW?
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

Ideally, we love the drive down--we fly into MIA or FLL and stop at a few of our favorite places along the way. Then we fly back since the drive back seems twice as long as on the way down!
[/url]
AH

Post by AH »

paulandtracie wrote:Ideally, we love the drive down--we fly into MIA or FLL and stop at a few of our favorite places along the way. Then we fly back since the drive back seems twice as long as on the way down!
We drive down and were wondering if you care to share your favorite places to stop.
AH
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

Hi - here are some of our favorite places--
*Alabama Jack's on Card Sound Road - cool, funky place in the middle of nowhere on the inland waterways of the southernmost part of the Everglades
*Lorelei in Islamorada - beautiful setting on the gulfside
*Island Grill also in Islamorada, another beautiful setting and a beach!
*Sunset Grill in Marathon - gorgeous setting at the start of the 7 mile bridge. Huge outdoor patio with a big pool

There are so many good places, parks, beaches, etc. it is hard to decide where to stop, especially if you only have a few hours. Here is a link to a great mile-by-mile list of places you can choose from on your way down.

http://floridarambler.com/florida-desti ... ker-guide/
[/url]
AH

Post by AH »

paulandtracie wrote:Hi - here are some of our favorite places--
*Alabama Jack's on Card Sound Road - cool, funky place in the middle of nowhere on the inland waterways of the southernmost part of the Everglades
*Lorelei in Islamorada - beautiful setting on the gulfside
*Island Grill also in Islamorada, another beautiful setting and a beach!
*Sunset Grill in Marathon - gorgeous setting at the start of the 7 mile bridge. Huge outdoor patio with a big pool

There are so many good places, parks, beaches, etc. it is hard to decide where to stop, especially if you only have a few hours. Here is a link to a great mile-by-mile list of places you can choose from on your way down.

http://floridarambler.com/florida-desti ... ker-guide/
Thanks so much! Can't wait to get down there again.
AH