Easiest snorkeling spot for newbies?

Travel discussion for St. John
JudyK

Easiest snorkeling spot for newbies?

Post by JudyK »

I'm thinking Hawksnest? I've been to Francis-is Maho just around on the left from it? What about there?
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

Maho is a great spot for first time snorkelers... Keep going down the North Shore Rd, past Cinnamon, Trunk, and you'll hit Maho.
Tami
Image[/url]
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

My suggestion to virgin snorkelers, those who have NEVER snorkeled previously, is Trunk Bay. The reason being that Trunk is the only beach with lifeguards on StJ, there is a snorkel trail to educate the snorkeler in what to look for, the bay is wind protected and usually calm and it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the caribbean. It provides a very comfortable environment to snorkel the very first time.

Hawksnest is a great snorkel spot except for two things to watch for, the wind can pick up on Hawksnest under the right conditions. The coral is close in near the beach in shallow water. While being so close in makes access easy you can easily find yourself directly on top of the coral with little water to float in. This can be dangerous for the snorkeler and the coral. A snorkeler at Hawksnest should be either with an experienced snorkeler or have a bit of experience to recognize the possible hazzard.

Yes, Maho is to the left of Francis as you look out from the beach.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
JudyK

Post by JudyK »

Can you walk from Francis to Maho or can you drive right up to Maho?
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Maho sits right next to the road probaly the shortest walk to a beach on STJ
Tom
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

I would recommend Francis. Both Maho and Francis are similar in that they are very easy entry, but Francis has a lot to see when you swim off to the right (when facing the water), all of it close to shore. You can swim all the way to the end of the point and still be in shallow water and close proximity to the shoreline.
burgec

Post by burgec »

I'm a fan of Maho with lots of shallow water but good chance to see turtles, rays, tarpon etc. Would agree with comment about Trunk with lifeguards and amenities plus good coral and at least when we were there a big group tarpon.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Hawksnest or Maho but if you feel you need a lifeguard, then Trunk. They are all great!
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Can anybody describe where off Maho you go? Thanks!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We like to start off in the center of Maho where the turtles, sea stars and rays like to hang out. Then we head for the rocks on the right side and go around the point. We've never had a lot of luck on the left side.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

JudyK

Post by JudyK »

Thanks everyone for your advice! I honestly have never snorkeled Maho - not sure why after reading the great report about it! But am definitely going to do it next week!! Happy New Year!
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Maho is so calm I've seen people snorkeling on noodles. I've seen tons of fish - up to 4+ ft. tarpon, turtles, barracuda, octopus, conch,and even a tiny baby turtle last year, maybe the size of my palm, who kept hiding in the shallow water in the sand. I really enjoy Maho, to the right and around the point. It's very calm there. Last summer it was probably my 2nd favorite after Waterlemon. The trip before, though I enjoyed Trunk more, so it all depends! There are no lifeguards at Maho, though. Wherever you go, enjoy! I'm addicted and it wears my poor hubby out. Perfect vacation HAS to include snorkeling now! :D
Littlecheeze

Post by Littlecheeze »

Don't do Hawksnest, it can get pretty rough out there, I would have to say Honeymoon or Francis. :D
"Changes in latitude changes in attitude"

toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

I don't want to disuade anyone from snorkeling Hawksnest. I just think that it is best to be prepared and do Hawksnest on a calm day. I have had some of my best/laziest snorkels at Hawksnest but I have found it rough and shallow other times. No one wants to damage the coral or come away with their chest, arms or legs cut up from being pushed into the coral by a wave.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
hotrns

Post by hotrns »

I would definately not do hawksnest right now. We were there yesterday and the Christmas winds were generating VERY rough water. Breaking waves up to 5 feet and in many instances there was no water over the coral. Very dangerous in my opinion. :(