How important is a 4x4?

Travel discussion for St. John
News of St. John

How important is a 4x4?

Post by News of St. John »

Hi-

Can someone tell me how necessary it is to rent a 4x4 while staying on St. John? I have read all of this forum that it is a must but I am not certain why. Are all the roads not paved? I am staying on Ajax Peak, so I am sure that I will need one. I am just curious as to why...

Thanks everyone!
Jenn, News of St. John
strat62

Post by strat62 »

good question, i've wondered that myself...?
Bonny in CA

Post by Bonny in CA »

We arrived yesterday. We are staying at Into the Mystic, which is up on a big hill. The roads (most) are paved, but very steep. Even with the 4 wheel drive, we've lost traction a few times. There have been periodic showers since we arrived and without the 4 wheel drive, we wouldn't have been able to get back up the hill. Your villa may be in a lower area...
lark22

Post by lark22 »

It's crucial! I've seen some regular cars tootling up the steep switchback turns after Trunk Bay on the North Shore, but I wouldn't want to be in one of them. And that's just one of the many spots on the island that 4WD is very, very useful.

Basically, I think that 4WD is essential if you want to get the most of your visit.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We have used the 4WD a few times over the past 16+ years vacationing on STJ. Each time it was because of the steepness of the paved roads combined with heavy rain.

The higher clearance may be the most necessary feature. All the main roads are paved but many of the side roads and driveways back to the villas are not.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

This is the video I like people to watch when they ask about 4wd.

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2007/12/03/jee ... ad-part-4/
RD

Post by RD »

We were there with friends in June and stayed in the Reef Bay area and had all paved roads to get to the villa. Our friends got stuck with a car for a day because the rental company ran out of jeeps and even on all paved roads they had to drive very slowly because there were several places that the car would drag bottom. So, in addition to the steep roads and switch-backs you need something with some good ground clearance.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Told this story in a previous trip report. 4Wd can be handy after a rain event, just like in that video:

After the rain, head out from Trunk to Coral Bay and Shipwreck Landing for early lunch. On those switchbacks just past Trunk, watched as a Ford Taurus couldn’t make it up the first switchback, sliding backwards, gave up and turned around.

Next in line just ahead of us watching this was a Wrangler rental. Those jeeps are like mountain goats, right?

Watched in amazement as this guy also failed, watching the front AND rear wheels fail to gain traction.

Couple of locals coming down in the opposite direction in one of those old island 2 door bucket o’ bolts Vitaras were amused. We waved em down to confirm that the switchback wasnt blocked up ahead possibly causing these aborted attempts.

“Yeah Mon no problem”. Indeed, I gassed it BEFORE the apex of the switchback and zipped up no problem. My wife turned to me asked how did you do that and weren’t you worried?

Nah, same as going up a snow covered hill here in the Northeast – you need momentum before you hit the angle or slope – you cant be trying to accelerate on the steepest part, just maintaining the speed you already have. Besides, as I always tell my brother Raymond, I’m an excellent driver.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

YES, besides the NS road, some of the switchbacks on gifft hill can be dicey in heavy rain. Our villa driveway was steep enough that we would put it in 4wd and back down into the parking space, that way when we left for the day, it was in 4wd and we could just drive up and out.
toni

Post by toni »

I vote for 4WD! :)

Latest example:
We were on STJ 2weeks ago and were staying out by Fish Bay. Coming from Fish Bay Road where it intersects with Gifft Hill and South Shore road one morning. We turned to go towards Cruz Bay from the Fish Bay Rd when we realized traffic was stopped; several cars ahead of us and a pickup truck was backing towards us. Pickup truck made several attempts to back onto Fish Bay Rd then go up Gifft Hill. Barely made it, at a crawl.

Apparently a vehicle had lost a LOT of oil onto the switchback curves that occur right after this intersection as you head to Cruz Bay. End result is that the road was all oily and people had to back up to Fish Bay RD and then head up Gifft Hill-very very difficult.

To correct all the oil floor dry (like kitty litter) was dumped on the LONG area where the oil leaked. :shock: Next several days you had to put it into 4WD otherwise you'd not make it up the switchbacks right there.

There's been other instances where 4WD was a necessity, but that was the latest! :lol:
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Thanks for the great feedback - booked a Jeep earlier today!
Jenn, News of St. John
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Two years ago we had a mini van. No problems encountered. We never went out on wet pavement that I remember.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I always go for 4WD, but did not use it once last week while staying on East End. We went to Little Lameshur (very wet, definitely needed the clearance) and drove North Shore Road when it was wet and we were fine in 2WD the whole time.

The roads on Ajax Peak are pretty darn good.

Cheers, Rick
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
brenda

Post by brenda »

Rick, Jay and Deb told us the you said the road to Lameshure was no problem. We did easily make it, but it was really washed out and muddy. The higher clearance was definitely necssary. In spite of that, we still saw many people at that beach.
Going "home" again October 26th!