Villa necessities!!!

Travel discussion for St. John
DonnaM

Villa necessities!!!

Post by DonnaM »

Hi everyone! I am curious to know what items you have encountered during your STJ visits that you would deem a "must-have". My husband and I bought a villa this summer and are in the process of furnishing it. It's not finished so we actually have some construction to get through first and we are in the "waiting for drawings" stage. Soooooo bummed that we own a house and can't go there yet! I am torturing myself reading trip reports and blogs but they are very informative. Anyway, if you can think of anything that made a villa stay more comfortable and enjoyable, please let me know. I have a garage full of furniture and a spare bedroom full of sheets, towels, dishes etc. that I can't wait to put into a container! Also, if anyone has tips on finishes/items that are suitable for the climate down there, I would love to know. I am in the research stage for appliances, electronics and pool decking.
I must add that I am not much of a poster but I read through a lot of posts. Thanks everyone for your very detailed reports. I gain a lot of useful information and also it helps keep me from feeling blue when things are moving more slowly than I would like!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

large and small cooler. Beach chairs that are easy to carry. Kitchen with lots of dishes and pots and pans, glasses, plastic cups, coffee pot. Instructions on how to work the TV/Remote and air conditioner units. It is also very nice to arrive and have some soda, beer, water and snacks and maybe something for the first breakfast, bagels and coffee. I love it when there are some beverages and a snack when you get there. Congrats! I hope you get to STJ soon!
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

If you have a downstairs bedroom, a coffee pot somewhere would be amazing. So many trips, not wanting to disturb those upstairs, dying for a cup of coffee before everyone else wakes up! Congrats on your purchase! :)
P-600

Post by P-600 »

This question was posted before and I happened to write all the suggestions down so when I hit the lottery I can furnish my villa :lol:

Steamer
Set of Pot/Pans
Colander
Cookie sheets (non stick)
Spoons
Whisk
Pancake Turner
Good Knives
Can Opener
Vegetable Peeler
Tongs
Measuring Cups Wet/Dry
Toaster
Coffee Pot
Blender
Roasting Pan
Mixing Bowls
Grater
Muffin Pan
Sharpening Stone
Coffee Grinder
Waffle Iron
Griddle
Tea Pot
Extra Wine Openers/Stoppers
Pitchers
Storage Containers
Hand Mixer
Omelet Pan
Cutting Boards
Grilling Utensils
Beer Openers
Long Lighter
Bug Splatter
Cake Pans
Salad Spinner
Brita Filter
Large Plastic Trays
Pool Plasticware
Tons of coasters
Blow Dryers
Ipod dock/Stereo System
Beach Chairs
Coolers/Umbrella

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Lighted clocks in the bedrooms. We don't focus on time too much when we're on St. John, but it's always nice to know how much time you have before the sun comes up. :)
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Must Haves:
More than one cooler, all having handles
Decent beach chairs, easy to carry
Coffee Maker
More than 1 beach towel per guest
Gas Grill with grilling utensils
Wine opener
WELL stocked kitchen including tupperware type containers and at least one non stick pan

Nice to haves:
Blow dryer
Ipod speakers
Citronella candles for outside areas with Candle Lighter or Matches
Cooler ice packs
Welcome basket
First aid kid
Playing cards

Bonus Extras:
Swim Noodles to take to the beach
Board games
Wifi
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

Things that we have really appreciated!
Rolling cooler
Soft pack cooler
Back pack style chairs
Neat Sheet or parasheet
Bottle and can coozies
Laundry supplies
Toiletries - shampoo & soap
Ipod docking station
WIFI
Lots and lots of beach towels
Welcome basket
DVD library
Binoculars
Board games
Plastic cups for the beach
Small tupperware containers to take food to beach
indianaizzy

Post by indianaizzy »

I always appreciate it when owners label all the light switches. It really helps when trying to figure out inside lights, outside lights, fans, etc. Maybe I'm just light switch challenged!
lark22

Post by lark22 »

^^ Amen to the above! Lights can be SO confusing, and I always get the hang of them right at the end of the week :)

Also, clear directions for using multimedia (TV/cable/dvd) would also be really helpful.
toni

Post by toni »

Great ideas, I like having jigsaw puzzles for rainy days with people.

Have a good rental agent, make sure they have written down what gardeners or pool people will come by , names and when, surprises aren't a good thing!

Really clear "instructions for dummies" on the remotes- show them to somebody who's not familiar with your system to see if they make sense. it never fails but I can't figure out peoples systems.

A good blender

Good sheets and towels, ugh on threadbare ones. Realize this might not be an initial concern but eventually it will be.

I agree too on info on light switches, especially if bulbs are blown, can't tell if it's the right switch or a bad bulb.

One place had an honor bar with bottles, we liked that and replaced what we used. Might concern some people I suppose on hygiene.

One place didn't supply pt or tp, thought that was REALLY strange, had to buy your own. :shock:
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

We've traveled with fairly large groups (7-9 people) for a couple years and it was really nice to have more than one coffee maker so that you can make one pot of regular and one of decaf. Or even if everyone drinks the same it's just nice for all to be able to get a cup without waiting for the coffee to brew. And I agree that extra towels are great in case you you need to launder them after a day at the beach. Some beaches just have dirtier sand than others and if you have a villa with a pool you hate to reuse really grungy towels.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

MUST HAVES

"Quality" Blender (and a back up)
Shot glasses
basic hand press Lime juicer
Hand grater
1 gallon (minimum)- tupperware jug for haulin' drinks to the beach
Extra batteries for remotes

Ok... I can live without the batteries :roll:
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

A telescope for star gazing. That impressed me at one villa.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Noodles for Noodeling :lol:
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
patr

Post by patr »

Wow, you must be so excited, CONGRATS!

All good suggestions so far. A couple of missing things from previous rentals that made me absolutely bonkers - kitchen scissors, throw rugs on the sides of the bed. I just hate getting into bed and not beng able to wipe my feet. When they're missing, I throw towels down. A couple of nice box fans are always appreciated too.
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~