ridiculously high airfares!

Travel discussion for St. John
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I guess I should be happy with our $520 round trip from Washington DC to STT in April/May 2012. We used to cash in AA miles, but their schedule is not good any more since it takes 3 hops instead of 2.
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

I just booked late March for %580 from Detroit rather than O'Hare. Chicago was $300 higher(!) per person and for 6 passengers, definitely worth the 4 hour drive and park/sleep/fly hotel.
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

Our tickets were $998 each. YIKES! We were able to get two of the tickets with frequent flyer miles but had to purchase two tickets. It takes us two days to get there so we overnight in Atlanta. Therefore two nights in a hotel when we go to St. John. We have been going every year for the past 5 years. With airfare so high we may not be going every year, which makes me very sad. :(
jmq

Post by jmq »

Always thought that Hawaii would be a budget buster, but suddenly $793 AF to Kauai next spring doesnt sound too bad when combined with plenty of nice beachfront/ocean view condos available for rent at X times times less than STJ and weekly car rental at half the price too.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

Right now American has $456.00 (including taxes and fees) round trip Boston - STT for April 2012.
Grandpa1

Airfares

Post by Grandpa1 »

We are coming down to St John for our 20th year. American is $473.00 ea RT from Ohare which is not too bad. I have had air fare for as little as $409.00 so I feel pretty good. Plus its in January which is prime time. Staying at Cruzviews #1 - again--2nd time after the new owners renovated it. Can't wait. One of the best places I have stayed so far plus it's close to town...w/o the noise..
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

We are also considering Kauai, as airfare to Hawaii is only $95 more than STT right now from Detroit for our dates--pretty crazy! Another spectacular, beautiful place though and a greater value for our travel times as the previous poster mentioned--beautiful condos and places to stay right on the beach for a fraction of the cost of STJ, rental cars for $12 per day... We went to Maui this summer instead of St. John because we got airfare from Detroit for $540 round trip. We would miss STJ but I can't justify paying the same airfare to St. Thomas as you would to Europe. What a crazy situation with the airlines. Tough decisions!
[/url]