Summerwind questions

Travel discussion for St. John
wwbbd

Summerwind questions

Post by wwbbd »

Well, I thought I had narrowed our villa choices down to Bayview and Aria, but thanks to Diana2, I am now intrigued by Summerwind on Bordeaux Mountain. The upgrade in amenities and outdoor shower look very appealing.
The rental website shows excellent photos of the pool deck but not of the shaded deck off of the living area. I am wondering if anyone has more info (or photos) of this deck and also info on whether there is a deck off of the master bedroom?
Also, does anyone know if there is any kind of backup power for this villa. That was something that Aria had that I liked for the somewhat regular power outages. Not a huge deal, but nice to have.
Thanks for any info on this villa.
lavender

Post by lavender »

We stayed at Summerwind in May of 2010. The villa was great - very comfortable, spacious and well-equipped. The shaded deck off of the living room spans the whole front of the villa and was very comfortable with a nice size dining table and chairs as well as lounge chairs. The hottub too is pretty much in the shade as well. There really isn't much of a deck in front of the Master Bedroom - it is more of a walkway - yes there a couple chairs there but it isn't really a place you would sit and relax. There really isn't any view from there as it is down below so to speak. The Master Bedroom suite was lovely - beautiful HUGE bedroom with huge bathroom and indoor/outdoor showers.

The one thing I was surprised about was how windy it was there - we were there from late April until the 10th of May and there were many, many evenings when it was just too windy to comfortably sit outside. Not sure if that is how it always is there but it certainly was the case for us!

Let me know if you have any other questions!
wwbbd

Post by wwbbd »

Thanks so much lavender, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I do have a question about the pool and hot tub. Is the hot tub actually hot and were you able to enjoy the pool with all of the wind. Or is it too cold that time of year. We will be coming in late May.
Thanks
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I stayed there with Diana2. We never experienced high winds - we were there in June. The pool was nice and warm - beat on by the sun all day - and the hot tub was wonderful. The deck off the main area was the main living area for us. It's a very large covered deck with stunning views. The front deck off the master bedroom was more of a landing off the stairwell and we never sat out there. I highly recommend this villa and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

I've stayed on Bordeaux Mountain 5 times and never experienced wind issues. The worst wind we ever had was on top of Cinnamon Ridge in Catherineberg at 2 different houses. Never had problems in Catherineberg a little further down the mountain, though.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
wwbbd

Post by wwbbd »

Thanks for the additional info. Someone just posted a Youtube video of Summerwind that shows the deck as well as a walk through of the living area and master bedroom. It looks perfect. I can already picture heading out to Hawksnest Beach for a morning of snorkeling and sunning and then coming back to that shaded patio for a well deserved rum drink and/or nap. Or both!
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Hi wwbbd - LOL I posted the video and then never got time to get on here to tell you about it (until now). And don't worry about the centipede - lol - there were only two and just on the stairs.

We stayed at Summerwind in April 2011 and enjoyed it very much. It is really a lovely home and had everything we needed. The pool was too cool for me (I'm wimpy) but my husband was in it everyday. The hot tub was great, although it broke while we were there (not an uncommon occurrence at any villa in St John) but I'm sure it's fixed by now. The owner comped us a wonderful dinner for that, and he didn't have to. I can't say enough great things about the property manager Terry. She's wonderful.

The bed is super comfy, the bathroom is fabulous, the beach towels are huge, there are plenty of coolers, and the privacy is first rate. The wifi worked well, and there was plenty of water. Yes it was a little breezy up on the mountain when we were there.

If you want to know anything else let me know. I can't wait to go back.
wwbbd

Post by wwbbd »

Need2GetAway, that is so funny. I should have known the person who posted that video was a Forumite. You covered all of the important bases.

Good to know the wifi works also. We like being able to upload and post photos in the evenings while we are resting up after a long day at the beach.

Now we just have to get our exact travel dates worked out before someone else scoops this villa up.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I also made a video "tour" of the house when we stayed there in June 2009. I can send you a link to it if you like. Just PM me.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!