What to do - Battery Hill or Gallows

Travel discussion for St. John
Steve S

What to do - Battery Hill or Gallows

Post by Steve S »

Getting away for a few days at the end of the month. Our original intent was to go the cheap and only rent a jeep part of the time. Well, that was KO'd when we did the numbers and a Renting from STT the full time was not much more than the total taxi fares and rental fees for a vehicle part time on STJ.

I digress... We want to stay in town and got a very good rate at Battery Hill (we are familiar with the walk)then we were offered an ocean view at Gallows for $500 more. We're already spending more than planned for the car, but what a deal!

Can anyone offer any gems of wisdom?
melmd

Post by melmd »

For me it would depend on how much I'm really in the condo. If you enjoy condo/ villa time maybe Gallows is the right choice, but if you are only there to sleep, well then Battery Hill.

I would go with Battery Hill and the money I save I would spend on rum... LOL
loria

Post by loria »

battery hill. save the money
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
bchbum82

Post by bchbum82 »

I second Battery Hill and MORE Alcohol
Kevino

Post by Kevino »

Have you considered Lavender Hill across from Gallows? lavenderhill.net. Awesome views and priced well.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Thanks for the feedback. What if I threw in that this has turned into a 30th anniversary trip?
Ali

Post by Ali »

Gallows.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Steve S wrote:Thanks for the feedback. What if I threw in that this has turned into a 30th anniversary trip?
I'd choose Gallows and would book myself a nice table at Zozo's for dinner!
Ali

Post by Ali »

Ok, go Harbor view lower classic @ Gallows-save $$. Coffee in the gazebo in the am, nightcaps on the lower deck in the pm. You are always a few steps from oceanfront. Nice walk to town. Overlap to Oct. so you can get that Zozo's dinner in. Hey its your 30th - celebrate!
cmw5682

Post by cmw5682 »

Gallows, hands down! I stayed there last year and LOVED everything about it! I rented unit 10B off VRBO. Have fun!
Sadly, I am tickerless :(
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I have a different take after you mentioned your 30 year anniversary- btw Congrats! After 30 years, it probably really doesn't matter where you stay- it matters that you are together!! Saying that I would go with the less expensive, Battery Hill,and go have a wonderful anniversary dinner at a special place! Enjoy no matter what you decide! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Thanks All! We went with drumroll... Lavender Hill. The part I didn't mention was that both options required staying in a different spot the first night. We were all set to go with Battery Hill and first night it in Cruz Bay Boutique, but it was full. Gallows was going to put us up in another unit for the first night, but the price difference loomed large.

Revisiting Lavender Hill, the price was only a hundred or so more than Battery Hill, and we wouldn't have to change rooms. What a sigh of relief we let out since it's wheels up in just 5 days.
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

Have a great anniversary trip, Steve!