Help with speakers

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Pia

Help with speakers

Post by Pia »

OK, as you all must by now know we are remodeling (OK if you don't here is the link to our blog www.onawhimstjohn.wordpress.com) and we are figuring out what to do for speakers.

As the walls are currently wide open we can wire for just about anything (or not) We had a great system - well at least Les said it was great (and expensive at the time of purchase) me - not so much. It was by Cambridge Soundworks and was too big and bulky imo.

We really don't listen to music when we are inside the house so I am looking to ditch the whole CD player and receiver and trade in for the best set of small speakers that we could use for an Ipod (need the whole system for the Ipod as well so any suggestions for that are welcome also) and then probably a fantastic set of wireless speakers that we could mount outside as we listen to music mainly when we sit on the deck

Soooooo my question is do you have a fantastic sound system you recommend for an ipod along with speakers for said Ipod - we could set them inside the walls inside the house, wall mount them or set them next to the flat screen on the TV console (maybe even use them for the TV as well? ) and a great set of wireless for outside.

Help I have noooooo idea.

Thanks guys

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

hmmmm...tricky question. We have a cambridge sound system...and had a great experiences with them....but they have towers and wall mounted speakers, right??? Atleast ours did "way back then:". I have heard that Bose makes some great Ipod speakers thing-ys.....

Holly!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes Les loves the Cambridge but they are big (well not huge but bigger than I want). I'm looking for sleek, tiny (think the size of an Iphone (ish) contemporary speakers with great sound.

Les is against Bose as he thinks they have a fantastic marketing plan and charge high prices for a substandard (maybe that's the wrong word) product - I need to know if he is correct (he always is :) )

California Girl

Post by California Girl »

How about a Bose Sound Dock? I don't have one, but Bose is the best in the business, so I hear! Their mp3 player is portable so you could move it in or out depending on where you want to listen to music. I think it would be perfect for the size of your deck and your rooms. :D

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho ... /index.jsp

Don't buy it from Bose, though. Amazon.com has it for $269. Maybe you can get a link through Anthony?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Almost all the music buffs I know prefer Cambridge over Bose for all the reasons Les says. You are paying for the name Bose not necessarily the product. Not saying it is a bad product but it is over priced. I own neither so I shouldn't comment :)
lprof

Post by lprof »

Our main stereo system speakers are B&W... they surpass all the wired/ceiling units we have by far... granted they are 14 years old. Niles outdoor speakers sound good, but have not met expectations in the humidity.
You may be familiar with this English company: :wink:
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

Pia your best bet would be the Bose system. Small, but the sound it puts out is top notch. No wiring or anything. Plug & play.
Life begins where the land ends!
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

We have Sharper Image wireless indoor/outdoor speakers. Don't know if ok to post links, but do google search, amazon has them.

It has the small transmitter that you can plug into anything. We use for sirius on our computer or can plug into ipod. we have 4 wireless speakers that are around the house.

As you will see by reviews, they are mixed. We have had for about 4 years now and have no major complaints. You can't pump music out of them, but they serve our needs.
I would give them a 7.5 out of 10 rating.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Thanks guy's I'll be checking them all out.

Iprof - I checked out your link and I am in love with the Zeppelin Mini and the Zeppelin Air and the Panorama from B&W - I thank you I'm not sure Les will when he prices them all out :)
jmq

Post by jmq »

Les is right about Bose – IMO a lot of smoke and mirrors and somebody has to pay for that advertising budget – you.

I would recommend you go to www.crutchfield.com have the site up on the computer, go to the speakers section, and then call them at 1-800-217-1059 for what they call “personalized, expert guidance” which is actually true – they are very helpful, have excellent customer service and good prices to boot. Explain what you want where, and I bet they will make some great suggestions.

Don’t just take my word for it - Crutchfield consistently comes out on top of many customer service reviews/polls. I sort of think of them as the LLBean of consumer electronics.

I happen to love the dynamic range of my Polk speakers inside and outside. They are midpriced and offer very good sound for the buck in speakers large and small and built-ins. My brother has Definitive Technology speakers – a little higher on the price scale but very good sound too. Crutchfield features both brands and may be able suggest sound solutions for the specific applications you are looking for. Remember that speakers will sound sweeter after they break in over a few weeks time.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide