Trip Insurance.

Travel discussion for St. John
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

what did you pay out $1200 for that wasn't covered?
awardb wrote:I would love to hear from Connie to see if she ever receives reimbursement from CSA. I know in our case, we were out $1200 last year from Hurricane Earl. Insured thru CSA. Not covered! Basically, deep in the fine print of the policy, under Trip Interruption, due to weather, the policy says that if you've enjoyed over 50% of your vacation OR if there are 4 days or less left on your trip (ours was 4 days exactly), then you are NOT covered. Cost us over $1200.

Having said that, we're here again this year. Insured by CSA (it looks like ALL the policies contain that poison pill). Just wiser knowing if it happens again, we're not covered.

Let us know, Connie, when things are finalized.
awardb

Post by awardb »

We were forced to leave our villa because of Hurricane Earl. Had to move over to Gallows Point, only room they had avail. was their most expensive rooms. Approx. cost over $1200, lodging cost NOT covered by CSA. It WOULD have been covered if it had happened earlier in the vacation, but not at the end of the vacation, as I stated in my earlier post. Kinda sucked, to say the least.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

wow, agreed. did not know that.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I'm still waiting to hear from CSA. The last time we spoke, I had to fill out a form from the hospital and fax it to them to review. Because it was my Mother that was ill, there is more paperwork to fill out.

I also had an email from the condo owner stating we had left 4 nights early. That wasn't good enough. They wanted the original copy of the check that we had sent to the owner. They also wanted their phone numbers to personally call them.

Also, my Mom's primary doctor put the wrong date on the physician form. At that point we had to start the process all over. The person at CSA who was on the phone with me almost made me feel like I was faking this whole thing. I'm thinking....why would I ever want to go through this if it didn't really happen.

It's just frustrating because everything you try to do today that has to do with customer service is a pain in the a**.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I have tried to collect on trip insurance twice.

Claim #1 was for a theft and it was denied. Long story but in the end, the amount was so small, I just gave up.

Claim #2 was for a missed connection due to a problem (not weather) at the St. Martin airport. We were required to spend the night in Charlotte. This was in February and I still haven't been paid on the claim. The insurance company wanted proof that we were rebooked the following day. To date, I have provided three different letters from USAir explaining the whole situation and how we were, in fact, on flight XYZ. Nope, denied! The insurance company wants our boardng passes, which I don't have. They are intentionally being VERY difficult in order to avoid paying the claim. I am very close to looking into reporting them to whatever state agency handles these types of problems.

Close friends of ours had to put a ton of work into collecting on a claim when a family member died. They did get paid but it took multiple letters from doctors.
awardb

Post by awardb »

And I don't think it matters the company that you choose....

As I told Sylvia when I initially got off the phone after inquiring about making a claim, only to be told there was no coverage in that exact instance, " Gee....I forgot that all trip insurance is written and sold by.... WEASELS!

It's a racket for sure.

CSA actually has slightly higher positives on Trip Insurance review sites than others, but NONE of the companies are really well-reviewed. It's just "which one is less evil" kind of a thing.

UGH :(
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
jmq

Post by jmq »

PA Girl wrote:They are intentionally being VERY difficult in order to avoid paying the claim. I am very close to looking into reporting them to whatever state agency handles these types of problems.
The state insurance and banking commission. Use words like "good faith". Also consider small claims court (?)
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
GregsMom

trip insurance

Post by GregsMom »

Connie,

I hope you eventually are reimbursed by CSA. My only experience was positive.
My son and his girlfriend took a spring break trip to Cancun several years ago, and I made him take out trip insurance. The day before they were to fly home, there was a terrible blizzard in the northeast, with all the airports shut down. The first flight that they could re-book was four days later; CSA reimbursed him for 4 days of hotel and meal expenses. We just sent a letter explaining the circumstances and copies of the receipts. I hope they eventually come through for you!

PS; I never factor in the cost of car rental when calculating a total trip cost... I don't think any rental companies on St. John would charge if you canceled.. we rent from PENN'S; they don't even take a cc # to hold a reservation.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I can't remember if I factored in the cost of the care rental. It was 10 days, so it wasn't cheap, so may be I did.

Actually, we took the car back 4 days early and they didn't charge us, which was realy nice, I thought.

I called CSA last Thursday and I have been appointed a certain agent?? The person I taled to couldn't tell me anything about my claim. They also said to leave a message, and I did, and I still haven't heard back.

In face, going to call them right now :D
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"