Trip Insurance.

Travel discussion for St. John
P-600

Trip Insurance.

Post by P-600 »

This may be a super dumb question but I know I bought trip insurance when I purchased my airline tickets but just reserved the villa that I will be staying in today. Is the insurance the same for the entire trip or just the airfare? I'm so confused!

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
bevm

Post by bevm »

There are all different kinds of trip insurance. Maybe you purchased insurance to just cover the airfare through the airlines? I purchase insurance to cover both the airfare and the villa.
Connie

Post by Connie »

You really should check that out and make sure you have insurance for anything you could think of.

We are presently dealing with trip insurance from our trip in June. We lost 4 days at the condo and the extra cost of coming home sooner than expected came to 1200.00.

Good luck!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

As Bev said if you bought it through the airlines it isn't covering your villa. I can't swear to that to tell the truth but I don't think it covers the villa. You might want to look back at whatever you already purchased.
I bought mine through CSA and tallied up all the expenses for the entire trip.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I agree with you on that one. We bought our trip insurance through CSA also, but we had to leave because my Mother ended up in the hospital and was pretty sick.

This presents a big big problem for us. We had to present so much paperwork to prove that she was in the hospital, that her condition was serious, doctors papers, etc. It can get pretty involved.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Connie wrote:I agree with you on that one. We bought our trip insurance through CSA also, but we had to leave because my Mother ended up in the hospital and was pretty sick.

This presents a big big problem for us. We had to present so much paperwork to prove that she was in the hospital, that her condition was serious, doctors papers, etc. It can get pretty involved.
what presents a big problem? were you unable to get a refund?
P-600

Post by P-600 »

Our insurance was through Access America which we purchased through American Airlines. I am going to check the website because I am not near my paperwork and won't be for a few of more weeks.
When I booked the villa yesterday the management company said to make sure I had it which made me think...

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

P-600 wrote:Our insurance was through Access America which we purchased through American Airlines. I am going to check the website because I am not near my paperwork and won't be for a few of more weeks.
When I booked the villa yesterday the management company said to make sure I had it which made me think...
and I think you have to have it before a storm is named. not that I'm wishing that on anyone just sayin' :wink:
jmq

Post by jmq »

mbw1024 wrote:I bought mine through CSA and tallied up all the expenses for the entire trip.
Be mindful not to over-insure - only insure what you would be out of pocket from lost deposits, penalty/rebooking fees, etc., and NOT the entire cost of the trip (not sayin' you do that MB!). This will lower the premium paid.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Connie

Post by Connie »

P-600 wrote:Our insurance was through Access America which we purchased through American Airlines. I am going to check the website because I am not near my paperwork and won't be for a few of more weeks.
They want our copy of our original payment to our credit card company...PIA Also, that was 1 1/2 years ago.

They need us to fill our a form from the hospital and send it to them...PIA

They need a release from the hospital for her information and from ALL the doctors....PIA

I feel like they are trying to postpone payment as long as possible.

I know that we have to show proof, but everytime we send them something, they need something else.

I also know that they don't care....but there's no way that we would leave the Islands 4 das early just because we wanted to. That's a no brainer.

It will eventually work out. It's just alot of work on our end.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

jmq wrote:
mbw1024 wrote:I bought mine through CSA and tallied up all the expenses for the entire trip.
Be mindful not to over-insure - only insure what you would be out of pocket from lost deposits, penalty/rebooking fees, etc., and NOT the entire cost of the trip (not sayin' you do that MB!). This will lower the premium paid.
I never know how to handle that related to airfare. Let's just stay there was reason to cancel - a covered reason - like I tumbled down a hill and was in traction - going for the laugh there. Would the Ins. cover a refund on what I paid for Airfare?
P-600

Post by P-600 »

I just got off the phone with Access America and I need a separate policy for the villa and car rental. The other insurance just covers my frequent flier points :roll: Better to be safe than sorry though! Thanks for your help!

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
jmq

Post by jmq »

I never know how to handle that related to airfare. Let's just stay there was reason to cancel - a covered reason - like I tumbled down a hill and was in traction - going for the laugh there. Would the Ins. cover a refund on what I paid for Airfare?
I would think so, although who knows with the fine print. I think we usually figure in the full amount for AF, esp when its a big nut like to Europe. It makes sense to insure that full amount for a worse case tumble rather than just the amount of the re-booking fees.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

that's what I do as well.
awardb

Post by awardb »

I would love to hear from Connie to see if she ever receives reimbursement from CSA. I know in our case, we were out $1200 last year from Hurricane Earl. Insured thru CSA. Not covered! Basically, deep in the fine print of the policy, under Trip Interruption, due to weather, the policy says that if you've enjoyed over 50% of your vacation OR if there are 4 days or less left on your trip (ours was 4 days exactly), then you are NOT covered. Cost us over $1200.

Having said that, we're here again this year. Insured by CSA (it looks like ALL the policies contain that poison pill). Just wiser knowing if it happens again, we're not covered.

Let us know, Connie, when things are finalized.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll