Best deep water camera

Travel discussion for St. John
Capn Dan and Ruby

Best deep water camera

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

We have lost our deep water camera. Can't find it anywere! I spent our last vacay with out a good underwater camera. :( The disposables just arn't great! :x We had a Sea Life, and liked it, but did not love it. (they are not cheep but would go deep) Any one have great experiences whith other cameras? Remember we need a camera that will go deep, because we dive. Somehting rated to well over 100 feet. (over kill, but you know how these things work, it may say 100 feet, but that is max depth and it may fail at that depth.)I don't mind using a housing if it means that I can get better pictures, or get the camera alot cheeper. I would appreciate all the input I can get!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

I don't know if you mean a camera that you can use for diving, without an underwater case? In that case, I only know of the Sea Life cameras. Never heard someone being completely happy with them though.

I have a Canon Powershot G11 with uw housing Canon WP-DC34 and love it. I use it for both snorkeling and diving (good for down to 130 ft). New model is called G12 btw.
augie

Post by augie »

I agree with Maggy - get a good camera and a housing made for it to go that deep.

I have an Olympus C5050 with the PT-015 housing. Good for a point and shoot digital, but it's nearing "retro" status!
Come see us!
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Cool. I now need to know which camera to get that has a good housing. I have not been super pleased with my sea life. I will def check out the Cannon. We do have a little olympus now that we like, so I might check out the idea of a housing for it.
steve

Post by steve »

I 2nd the G11, great underwater in its housing and out of the water out of the housing. Over the years it (and its predecessors G10, G9 etc) have had great reviews on this blog. I have had the Pentax and Olympus UW cameras without housings, great for snorkeling but after a year or 2 of frequent dives they eventually leak. Have fun
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I had the G12 with me this trip. I am very pleased with the photos. On a plane right now but will be sharing some pictures in the next few days.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.