Pre-trip jitters

Travel discussion for St. John
Heather-in-MA

Pre-trip jitters

Post by Heather-in-MA »

Now that I can count the number of days till vacation on my fingers and my toes...panic is settling in! We have had this trip booked since last August! I can hardly believe that it's right around the corner!

I still have lots to gather, important stuff like medications to fill at the pharmacy. My girls still have the dance recital and the last day of school. Can't truly pack yet because we are wearing the same season clothing....ahhhhh!!! Stress!

I have begun obsessively checking our flight, watching it be delayed for one reason or another 6/7 days this week....yikes!

May need a tranquilizer rather than a painkiller, but pretty sure a painkiller will be easier to get-once we get there...
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Relax- enjoy the recital, and the end of school! don't worry about the things you can't control and keep check on the things you are watching so if they change unexpectedly you can act!! it will be here so quickly!! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Heather - Take a deep breath and relax as that is what I am going to try to do too! Our vacation is coming up soon and as it gets closer am super excited but also get a bit nervous. This usually comes from not liking to fly. I take Xanax for the plane ride and also have a drink on the plane to relax. We also have the end of the school year this week and many things still left to do along with baseball and basketball games almost every night with the kids. I have found that making a list and checking things off really helps. Our sons game was just cancelled about 10 minutes due to rain but may be rescheduled for later so am going to try to work on that list now. I hope you have a great trip. This will be our first trip to STJ. Good luck and relax and have a drink.
rImage
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

The same kind of panic hit me in advance of our last trip to St. John. I was pretty cool and collected up until the last few days before we left.

What worked for me was to make lists and check them twice. Something about checking off items on a list calmed me down and helped me convince myself that I had everything covered.

But I didn't completely relax until we were in the cab on the way to the airport. "There. It's done, no use worrying anymore."

So just relax. And have a bon voyage.

TM
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Lists always help me. Try not to leave everything until the last minute. Maybe get the meds this weekend.

Enjoy the recital and help the girls celebrate the end of the year.

Your trip will be great!
janet
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I am almost wrote a post about the same thing a few days before my trip in April, but erased it because I thought people wouldn't understand. I think for my it's the thought of the flight that complicates it for me (I am petrified of flying) and bring my young kids on a trip for the first time.
But, everything went well for us, and I suspect it will for you too. Try to relax and once your flight takes off safely try to mentally get on island time so when you arrive to can start to feel like you're on vacation from the instant the wheels touch down.

Have a great time.
Tickerless :(
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I totally FREAK the few days before travel day. I know I'm doing it, and I still freak! Ugh! The only thing that helps me is, like the others said, making lists. I open my suitcase a week or two in advance and put it on the guest bed, then I just start tossing things in it as I think about them. It really helps with getting the "little stuff" together.
GracesMom

Post by GracesMom »

I completely understand what you are saying. Our first trip is only 3 weeks away and the anxiety is building! I think a big part of it is the amount of money invested in the trip ( especially since we're going for 2 weeks), and worrying that everything needs to be perfect to be worth the expense. I also worry about letting my family down since I do all the vacation planning. Also adding to the stress are the details of our vow renewal ( I still don't have my husband's ring ordered!), and the flight. I have only flown 1 time several years ago and my kids have never flown. However, I keep making my lists, marking stuff off, and telling myself, " it will all be worth it when I'm relaxing on the beach, looking at the beautiful blue water!"
Heather-in-MA

Post by Heather-in-MA »

:shock: :cry: :evil: Soooo...have been ordering my script refills as they come due and making a specific request from my doc (cuz that's what she recommended) for a med. Only to run into a couple issues. First isn't a big deal-doc out of town till Wednesday -good that gives me/her a week, glad I called early enough. Second is much more of a problem & has a unknown solution, complicated by doc being away. One of my meds is on MANUFACTURER BACKORDER and the pharmacy does not know when they can get more! They are giving me the last they have of this med (in smaller dosage pills) but it will only thake me until halfway thru vacation. This backorder business has been happening since January and is NATIONWIDE, but this is the first time I have been effected by it. Right before vacation and in the midst of Dance Week-figures. :roll:

Really, I could do without this extra stress. Hopefully this is the largest challenge of vacationing and everything else is minor from here on out.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

I think we've all been there...I get nervous getting to the airport...worried about long lines, plane delays...once I get in the air I feel much better...I figure if I forget to pack something I can buy it there...deep breaths... :wink:
California Girl

Heather, can your doctor prescribe a similar med? Something generic, for instance? I know sometimes you absolutely have to have a particular pill, but there are so many "similars" out there that it's worth asking. :)
Heather-in-MA

Post by Heather-in-MA »

Nope CG...this is the generic. Pharmacy tried to fill with the brand but insurance denied it. So now it looks like I get to spend some time on the phone to the insurance company today. Oh joy.
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Heather - I am always totally stressed before a trip. In fact, I posted almost this exact post right before our trip! Ahhh, but once you step off the ferry.........:)
California Girl

Heather-in-MA wrote:Nope CG...this is the generic. Pharmacy tried to fill with the brand but insurance denied it. So now it looks like I get to spend some time on the phone to the insurance company today. Oh joy.
Grrr! Good luck! :roll:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:19 am.