Is this weather normal?

Travel discussion for St. John
NOLA Saint

Is this weather normal?

Post by NOLA Saint »

Hello folks,

The wife and I are coming down for 10 days starting June 28th. This will be our first trip. Very excited, needless to say.

We are getting a little concerned about the weather, though. I was led to believe it was usually pretty dry on the islands save for the occasional tropical disturbance. Tracking your weather the last month, it seems to be raining every day with average rainfall being between 40 to 70%. Is this normal? Part of my concern stems from where we're staying. Being budget minded we booked accommodations at Cinnamon Bay in one of their "cabins." A luxury villa in Cruz Bay this isn't. So if it's raining most every day, we're kind of hosed given where we are.

Any thoughts?
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

We leave next week, and I agree about the recent weather on the island, but there is not one dam thing we can do about it. Go enjoy your vacation and everything will work out.
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

we've stayed at the cabins at cinnamon bay 2x (with small kids no less)...you'll be fine. You can't beat the view. If you are at all camp savvy (which, we aren't)..you'll be even better. Bring bug spray...flashlights...and even a dvd player for rainy days/nights. You will have electricity...a fridge...and some cabins had a micro! It is camping but at a luxurious setting. Even if it storms and rains...it most certainly (knock on wood) won't be for a whole day. You can bring stuff to do inside the cabin or take the taxi/car into town and share your woes with others at the beach bar. There are worse places to be in a rainstorm!
cmw5682

Post by cmw5682 »

We leave in a few days too! :D It depends what website you're looking at on how bad the forecast looks. It always says rain so that's no big deal, I just get worried when the percentages creep up for every day! I'm honestly not to worried about it since next week looks fine on most of the websites and even if it rains, it probably won't rain all day, all week!
Sadly, I am tickerless :(
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

I agree, just enjoy your trip. I has been raining a good bit, but usually only part of the day. Bring lots of bug spray though. One man here on the island uses a mixture of coconut oil and teak oil. He sais it works. Also I am posting some helpful hints that have really worked for me this trip.
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

Our recent trip in May was the first time we experienced rain, rain, rain in 5 years. We go every year at the same time. Had a couple of days of sunshine. All you can do is go with the flow and make the best of it. We still had a blast and as usual memories were made.

You can't worry. Rain or not, remember you are away from the hustle and bustle of your everyday life. It just so happens that you will also be in one of the most laid back places in the world. There are others that would love to be in your shoes. Be no worries.
Life begins where the land ends!
turqsea

No worries

Post by turqsea »

Bring insect repellent and a good attitude! We live here and yes we had a low pressure trough hanging around us for weeks but we did not get too much rain. It is a little humid and it is summer weather, yeehaw! The water is at its perfect temperature and at Cinnamon you can enjoy the water without driving anywhere! Enjoy. Life is great here no matter the weather!