mangos, genips and coconuts oh my!

Travel discussion for St. John
LauraD

mangos, genips and coconuts oh my!

Post by LauraD »

I am a frequent visitor to the Caribbean, but never in the month of July, which I will be on STJ in a few short weeks, Yippeee :D Do the locals sell mangos or genips around the island or is this something I just need to keep an eye out for and pick(not on private property of course)? Also I really love the localally grown yam, are they readilly available this time of year? Thanks, Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Last July I pulled genips from trees (I hope that wasn't a bad thing) and also bought them in the square.

I may or may not have brought some home and keep the seeds on my desk. I shake them from time to time.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I read somewhere that there is a new farmer's market, held bi-weekly right by Connections in Cruz Bay. I am sure you could find those fruits at the market. I am spacing on what day of the week the market is--maybe somebody could add that information.

There is also a small section in the produce area at Starfish for local produce. I definitely remember seeing the local yams, as well as plantains and/or bananas, avocadoes, and some other root-like stuff I didn't recognize. Yucca, maybe?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
loria

Post by loria »

Gerald Singer had it as every other Friday in his blog post of April 21st --
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

I remember some Donkey Diner plant seeds that fell into my pocket in 2008 as I bent over to feel the the plant (a succulent) then wiped my hand on my shirt. They made it back in a pocket, emptied out when I did laundry, planted and produced an amazing plant. I really didn't mean to bring them back but with seeds, saw what I could do. California Girl and I have traded these out and back for a few years. CG has had amazing plant,even blooms! Me, just a pretty plant...must live in CA to get it to thrive, I guess! :D
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

Thanks everyone. We will miss the the market on STJ, but the Sunday we are on island there will be a farmers market on STT, held everyother Sunday, may go over and check that out. My daughter also wants to go to Megans Bay as she got married there 5 years ago(boy time flies) One more month to go, Laura :D
You must be the change you want to see in the world