I had no idea it would be so tough to pick a villa

Travel discussion for St. John
GraysonDave

I had no idea it would be so tough to pick a villa

Post by GraysonDave »

I've seen you people struggle with this decision my entire time on this message board but couldn't really empathize.

We have stayed at the Westin, Grande Bay, and Caneel so I didn't understand. Picking a villa is not easy with so many great, but not perfect, choices.

I can't even get my head around the ones I've looked at so far. Rejected some for one reason or another but now I can't remember the reasons. Favorite seems to change each day. I'll have to set up a spreadsheet to keep track.

I'll probably do like others and ask for comments when we have our list of finalists.

Our main requirement is 3 equal or near-equal bedrooms and a pool. Oh, and a view. And maybe AC. And maybe a hot tub. I've searched the forum enough to get ideas on past favorites. Anything in Peter Bay looks to be out, but most others seem to be within budget since we are going early December (off-season).

Not looking for suggestions at this point - I can use the websites and google and the search feature to do that. Just thought I'd express my angst to some folks who could relate!

It's all part of the fun, though.

:D
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

LOL, I remember the many sheets of paper with messy notes and scribbles when I tried to track down one for us. Good luck!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Enjoy the pursuit! :)
Do let us know when you narrow it down to a handful or two ;)
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

I so feel your pain....I was like you and even anal enough to set up a spreadsheet, showing name, cost, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, pool, hottub, other amenities, sunset or sunrise view, balcony/deck, wifi/dsl, outdoor shower, website of house, etc.....
I must admit I became overwelmed with the choices. The dealbreaker ended up being that we really, really wanted to be in Cruz Bay area this time, with just two of us we opt for Gallows Point. Not the privacy of a villa, but ocean view, snorkeling, and walk to town (now crutch/cane to town) access.....Enjoy the planning and searching....anticipation is half the fun!
toni

Re: I had no idea it would be so tough to pick a villa

Post by toni »

GraysonDave wrote: Rejected some for one reason or another but now I can't remember the reasons. Favorite seems to change each day.
This is the part I wholeheartedly agree with-I'll look and look and look and keep lists, and then I'll go to a different site, see one that I had crossed out and can't for the life of me remember why I crossed it out! :shock:

But eventually it all gets narrowed down to 2 or 3 good ones and a decision gets made. Then I keep the short lists for future visits :D
burgec

Good news

Post by burgec »

Is it's like ice cream or pizzas, really no bad choices. The only bit of advice might be to check on the age and upkeep of villas.
itstheair

Post by itstheair »

Just to make it a little tougher...you can look at villas with more than 3 bedrooms too as usually you only pay for the number of guests(# of bedrooms used) Now your spreadsheet can be even bigger!!
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Staying in a villa is definately the only way for us to vacation on STJ...but we are pretty basic people...definately need AC in the bedrooms and a pool...MOST importantly is the view...for us its all about location location location. Flat screen tvs, granite counters and stainless appliances are absolutely NOT necessary. We want VERY basic comforts and a great view... :wink:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We just started kicking into search gear for our winter 12 trip. We have a different group size this year and are thinking about a different area of the island. I both love and hate the search. I would stay in the same house every trip if we could.
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

GraysonDave wrote: we are going early December (off-season).
If I'm not mistaken, December is IN season, not OFF season...
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

GidgetPicklebrain wrote:
GraysonDave wrote: we are going early December (off-season).
If I'm not mistaken, December is IN season, not OFF season...
In Season starts December 15th in most cases
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

I stand corrected. appaerntly this is villa/management specific. I have just begun my villa search, the two that I have bookmarked as my frontrunners so far from VRBO.com increase price in November.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

I have found a few for which the season starts Dec 1. Will toss those immediately. Most seem to start around the 15th.

But thanks for the heads up, because it is NOT universal.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Yes, it is excruciating. Actually, this time with just the 2 of us it was a heck of a lot harder to pick our perfect place than our first trip with 4 was.

Good luck and enjoy!! 8)
Coden
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Our 3 favorite companies to deal with:

www.greatcaribbeangetaways.com
www.windspree.com (I think all of theirs are Coral Bay area)
www.vivacations.com

and don't be afraid to ask for a discount if it is still low season!!! Especially if it is an extra long stay for instance!

We usually go the first 2 weeks of December because it's right before high season, weather's great, island is green and rates are still low!! I booked for December this past March and still didn't get the villa I wanted!!! Maybe next time!!!

Enjoy the hunt!! :D