CPR works

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
djmom

CPR works

Post by djmom »

Without going into all the details, I was at a Girl Scout leader banquet and a leader went into cardiac arrest. There were over 40 CPR trained individuals there (leaders) and two extremely qualified ones in the group who took the lead.

Anyways, a life was saved. These ladies were able to keep the blood circulating until the EMTs arrived 10 minutes later. There is no way this lady would have survived otherwise.

Also, the lady who was ill had no risk factors and really had only minor symptoms before passing out. Good to know ladies not to ignore what your body is telling you. Symptoms for women are often not "textbook" symptoms like we see on TV.

Please consider getting certified. The CPR process is much simplified over the last several years and it is very easy to learn. It takes anywhere from 4-8 hours, depending on the course. Just sign up and do it. It will be over with quickly and you will have a new peace of mind.

Thanks to these leaders, there is a family that still has their mother today.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We have been teaching CPR for more than 30 years. It is very easy to to learn. When the need arises there are no substitutes.

Perhaps we should move to STJ and teach CPR to Forumites on their vacations! :wink:

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

ski2play

Post by ski2play »

What a wonderful thing! CPR does work.... as does Girl Scouts! Glad to see! 30 years Girl Scout Proud!
djmom

Post by djmom »

They told us in our class that the odds were that one day one of us would need to use CPR...I didn't really believe them. Until now.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

As a former medic with the fire department I can tell you the lady was very lucky to see another day. The majority of people who recieve CPR in the feild do not survive, especially if there is not a defiberlator around. Everyone should be trained in CPR and most local fire depts will train a group for free or a very minimal cost. Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
djmom

Post by djmom »

Laura,

Part 2 of the story (which was soooo long I didn't go into it) was that the defibrillator on site did not have a charge. Supposedly they get it checked frequently but I don't know.

So it didn't work, so the ladies just kept going with CPR. The EMTs did the defibrillator when they got there.

I had heard the same thing, that without a defibrillator that CPR is usually not successful. But I guess the key is try to keep the person "alive" until one arrives or one is found on site.

At least you know you did everything you could have done. If the person doesn't make it you still have provided a chance.

I agree, the lady was extremely lucky. There was also a very long chain of events that led to two especially qualified individuals (an RN and a Red Cross instructor) coming to the meeting that night. Neither one was planning on coming and they were convinced to come by two other leaders. The whole thing was amazing.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Yes, CPR works! It's that wonderful? Can I interject a thought, here?

One thing I've noticed is that people do not respond as quickly, if they find the victim in a position other than the "resusci-Anni" position (lying on their back on the floor).

Cardiac arrest doesn't always land a victim in the position that you find the resusci-Anni. It happens on toilets, in recliners, on benches in public. If you encounter someone sitting upright who isn't responding to you, you need to move the victim to the floor, and then follow your CPR steps. For some reason, non-professional rescuers don't respond the same, if they find the victim sitting upright or slouched.

I hope that you never have to encounter this situation, but if you do, maybe this will help someone down the line...
djmom

Post by djmom »

YES Minde-

I didn't see it happen but I am pretty sure she passed out at the table. I saw her after they got her on the floor. Even though I have taken this class 5 or more times, I am not sure if I would have suspected a heart attack if someone "fainted" at the table. Very good point. I might have thought she fainted or choked or a stroke even, but would I have acted quickly and suspected cardiac arrest had I been the closest person?

So glad a nurse was there. I was so amazed by her decisiveness and how quickly she determined that the lady needed CPR. I hope I never need to use it but it was great training on what to do in real life.