Ipad on St. John

Travel discussion for St. John
mindehankins

Ipad on St. John

Post by mindehankins »

We only have used our Ipad at home, so haven't signed up for any internet access (we use the home wireless). It's the AT&T version, I believe...whichever the option that wasn't Verizon.

If we sign up for the internet access (is that what it's called? Duh!) will we be able to access from St. John?

Thanks in advance. Starting to try to think through what to bring, now that the ticker's getting shorter!
Heather-in-MA

Post by Heather-in-MA »

Inquiring minds want to know this too... Bringing it anyway for movies on the plane and net access in the airports

Keep in mind many have used iPhones on STJ some with issues, some without...
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

edited to start a new topic. My bad.
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

We brought our ipad and had excellent access. We had wi-fi at the villa and we were able to use ATT as well without any problems. Loved having it..definitely a plus for our vacation :D
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

Our iPad experience on St. John wasn't the best:

- We subscribed to NetFlix shortly before our trip with the idea that we'd watch some movies in the evening. We discovered, much to our surprise, that NetFlix won't let you stream a movie while you're in the Virgin Islands.

- Since we also brought our laptops -- hey, we were working -- and we felt that not all of our email made it to the iPad. Hadn't noticed this discrepancy at home. We felt the WiFi connection in STJ was slow; this might have affected the iPad more than the laptops.

The iPad was great for playing Scrabble, though!

TM
toni

Post by toni »

Hey Minde
Took the iPad down last summer, it's the AT&T version, you sign up for a data plan/ month. It automatically renews but if you only want it for the month I believe you can just cancel before it renews. Used it all the time, had great AT&T reception on the south shore where we were staying by reef bay. Couldn't get verizon cell to work but AT&T no problem.

FYI, keep your data roaming set to off.

Used it for local weather reports, the nook app, used the channel 2 storm team 2weather app to see what was happening back home (you know what station I mean :) )
Played games on the airplane (doodle hangman), kept up on the news etc.

You must be getting excited!

:)
James S

Post by James S »

I'm posting this on my IPad now at a villa in Coral Bay where the Wifi works great. I also brought my Apple TV so that I can view my pictures and videos on the TV. You can see a sunrise video and my trip report at this link. http://stjohnusvi.posterous.com
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

James S Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:46 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm posting this on my IPad now at a villa in Coral Bay where the Wifi works great. I also brought my Apple TV so that I can view my pictures and videos on the TV. You can see a sunrise video and my trip report at this link. http://stjohnusvi.posterous.com

James S......now that is sweet...I had been holding out on the purchase of the IPad but being a techno geek, I just may not be able to resist....Hey, it could be a mother's day present to me! Again, thanks for posting!
DrToons

Post by DrToons »

Just spoke with Netflix and Amazon and neither are allowed to stream movies to US territories. I was going to bring my Roku box with me in June, so checking this thread at least saved me that aggravation.
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

Several folks on St. John successfully circumvent the Netflix restriction by using a proxy site to mask their IP addresses.
tjwgrr

Re: Ipad on St. John

Post by tjwgrr »

mindehankins wrote:We only have used our Ipad at home, so haven't signed up for any internet access (we use the home wireless). It's the AT&T version, I believe...whichever the option that wasn't Verizon.

If we sign up for the internet access (is that what it's called? Duh!) will we be able to access from St. John?

Thanks in advance. Starting to try to think through what to bring, now that the ticker's getting shorter!
If your villa does not have WiFi, your iPad will need to have the 3G wireless feature. 3G on the iPad is internet access through either Verizon or AT&T. All iPads have WiFi, but not all have the 3G feature.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Yes, I guess it was the 3G that I was asking about. We use WIFI at home but are pretty sure we won't have it on St. John. Our 3G internet plan is through AT&T. If we sign up, can we expect it to work, since there's supposedly good AT&T coverage on STJ?
lablover

Post by lablover »

Last year my husband and I bought ipads in anticipation of our trip to STJ. We didn't have any problems with connections however my iphone, my son's itouch, and my ipad all died on the island. We believe that it was because we took them from the very cool A/C bedroom to the hot living room and moisture built up in them. We put them in a bag with rice and it would occasionally bring them back to life. Fortunately they were all covered under warranty and all were replaced. The Apple employee said that there was evidence of a little bit of moisture. This year we are going to bring some silica gel pacs and will store our istuff in a ziplock with the silica.
James S

Up 108 to the villa

Post by James S »

I've posted a video where I used my IPhone 4 to take the video and then used IMovie on the IPad to edit it.http://stjohnusvi.posterous.com