Looking for a villa rental for a full month

Travel discussion for St. John
17th Hole

Looking for a villa rental for a full month

Post by 17th Hole »

We're considering doing a full month next year on island (probably June) and from what I can tell most villas list only weekly rates. In general, do some villas offer any breaks for someone who would like to rent for a whole month? Or should I just take the weekly rate x4? I'm thinking I'll probably need to narrow my villa choices and then start asking if I can get a "long-term" discount. Is there a standard practice regarding longer-term villa rentals?

My wife and I both work from home and could (in theory) work from anywhere with an internet connection. (I realize "work" is going take on a new definition for us while on island - "Soon come, boss. soon come.")

Any info, experiences, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(btw- loving my ticker! Soon come!)
Last edited by 17th Hole on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

waterguy

Post by waterguy »

You can ask. Alot would depend if you want maid service every week if you would cut down on there fixed costs they might cut you a deal. Summer time rates are just about break even for them from what I've been told.
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

Thanks Waterguy! We could pass on the weekly maid service so that would help. Hadn't thought of that.

ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

Hey, 17th Hole --

My wife and I spent last January on STJ. Like you, our jobs allow us to telecommute. In fact, we referred to our stay as a "workation," reminding ourselves of this every day, as we headed to "the office." (We did go to the beach several times, did the Reef Bay Trail Hike, etc., but wound up spending most of our sun time at the pool.)

I think your chances are good of getting a discount on lodgings for a longer stay, as we did. The owners should realize a savings in time and costs in having their space rented by one client (rather than four) for the month. Not to mention just having it rented every day of the month.

To stay within our budget, we only rented a car one day during our stay -- when the kiddos came to visit. So being within walking distance of Cruz Bay was essential.

We realize that such a plan might not be right for everyone, but it worked for us, and we'll be following it again in 2012.

Let me know if you have questions.

TM
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

ToonMann,
Thanks! I hadn't even given thought to how much renting a car for a month is going to cost! Yikes! I wonder if car rental agencies would offer a month-long discount as well!

Our plan right now is to have our two kids with us for the whole month. Would love to give them an amazing month to remember! They'll be 7 and 10 next year when we are planning on going. A pool will be essential for those times when Mom & Dad have to "work". I'm thinking a car would probably be needed as well for the beach trips, but maybe not...

jenxogirl

Post by jenxogirl »

We priced a car for a four week stay from Budget on STT and the 28 day rental price was amazing...maybe just a couple hundred more than a one week price! This was for July so I imagine that June wouldn't be too bad....high season rates would be much higher I imagine.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

17th Hole wrote: Our plan right now is to have our two kids with us for the whole month. Would love to give them an amazing month to remember! They'll be 7 and 10 next year when we are planning on going. A pool will be essential for those times when Mom & Dad have to "work". I'm thinking a car would probably be needed as well for the beach trips, but maybe not...
This sounds like an amazing idea! Good luck with the planning.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Sounds absolutely delightful....do you need a nanny?
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

ski2play wrote:Sounds absolutely delightful....do you need a nanny?
Haha! If you want to do my work for me while I go play with the kids we might be able to work something out!

stjchica

Post by stjchica »

17th Hole wrote:ToonMann,
Thanks! I hadn't even given thought to how much renting a car for a month is going to cost! Yikes! I wonder if car rental agencies would offer a month-long discount as well!

Our plan right now is to have our two kids with us for the whole month. Would love to give them an amazing month to remember! They'll be 7 and 10 next year when we are planning on going. A pool will be essential for those times when Mom & Dad have to "work". I'm thinking a car would probably be needed as well for the beach trips, but maybe not...
Hey..I'm off summers, and am a pedi nurse. Need a nanny in STJ so you and the wife can have some private time and work time??? :D
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

stjchica wrote:Hey..I'm off summers, and am a pedi nurse. Need a nanny in STJ so you and the wife can have some private time and work time??? :D
Can I keep you on emergency stand-by? LOL!