Why is the deal with June travel?

Travel discussion for St. John
Gigi

Why is the deal with June travel?

Post by Gigi »

I have been looking for a flight for June but the airfare is outrageous! It is $200 - $300 per person higher than the already high prices for July or August. Is it that popular of a month to travel??
Kealani

Post by Kealani »

Flights in general to all destinations are high with rising gas prices. If you can fly in and out mid week you should be able to save some $.
sasky

Post by sasky »

They're going up every day. We just booked for May and had been keeping an eye on flights for a couple weeks. They just kept going up so we finally had to bite the bullet. It's ~$200 more than we spent 2 years ago for around the same time.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Don't forget you are probably flying to a hub. Domestic travel is up for that time of year.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

I think it may be the timing, I booked a flight for the end of June about a month ago, I checked it yesterday and it had doubled... probably due to the unrest in the middle east and current situation in Japan
cathys

Post by cathys »

We will be on St. John from June 11 - 18, flying nonstop from Philadelphia. When we booked a few months ago, we paid $418, before tax, round trip.

This morning the exact same flights are $862, before tax, round trip. When's it going to stop?
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Same thing here. We purchased our tickets to St John in mid February for $476 pp (taxes and fees included) for our early June 2011 trip. The ticket prices for the same flights are now double. Flying with one stop Rochester, NY to STT. Unbelievable! 8) :lol:
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Ugh. I feel the pain as I am trying to find a decent flight out of Chicago for late June for 9 people (5 newbies) without breaking the bank. In January we paid $238 on Spirit. No such luck yet, but I am still hopeful that I'll find something less than $600 per person!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

rng with using my frequent flier miles and takling with USAirways, the price of the flight I was booking for my daughter went up $100 in an hour :shock: . The booking lady said that the uncertainty with the oil rices is creating problems with them setting airline fares so they are very changeable. Also, she saidto go on at 1 or 2 am on a Wed. morning since that is when they tend to drop prices for a few hours. I paid $581 for my 3 year old for Aug 29 to Sept. 7th. Was alot more then I paid in the past but I was locked into having to buy her a seat on that flight since mommy & daddy already had two free tix on that flight. We had just been down in jan and the tix were only $389.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'm going in June also. I booked the villa and jeep rental, but decided to wait (gamble) on the air. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore...too nervous. I ended up switching my departure date to Thursday instead of Friday. I was able to get a US Airways flight from St Louis to St Thomas via Charlotte for $589 RT. It was running $800-$950 depending on when I checked for the same flight departing on Friday or Saturday. Immediately, after I booked it went to $770! If you see a reasonable fare, you better jump on it. The fares change by the minute.
cmw5682

Post by cmw5682 »

Tracy in WI wrote:Ugh. I feel the pain as I am trying to find a decent flight out of Chicago for late June for 9 people (5 newbies) without breaking the bank. In January we paid $238 on Spirit. No such luck yet, but I am still hopeful that I'll find something less than $600 per person!
We fly out of Chicago too and the other airlines were so expensive this year we had to book with Spirit even though we HATE them. In December we bought 2 tickets for $545.40 for June 15-21. I just checked that exact flight and now it's a whopping $1,194.20! I can't believe the price doubled in less than 3 months!
Sadly, I am tickerless :(
sparis

Post by sparis »

We ran into the same problem. Booked airfare in late may into June and the prices for a one-stop trip kept fluctuating but never went below $700 (the problem with flying out of Rochester and not wanting to stop over in three places). We ended up using miles (had just enough) for one flight and paying outright for the other. If you check out your latest gas prices, you'll see why. Almost up to $4/gallon here in NY.
It is better to live, than to exist! - Mark Twain paraphrased :)
nancyr84

June Travel

Post by nancyr84 »

We booked our air about 6 months ago for our trip in June. Flying out of Pittsburgh with one stop. We paid a little over $1000 for both of us , about 200 more than average.We are trying to find a decent fare now for family who are thinking about joining us and wow it has doubled!! It isnt getting any better, whats up?
July seems to be more reasonable. Nancy
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

We did get a decent fare for this trip, but next year we wanted to take our adult children. I am worried that air fare is going to make that trip out of our reach.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Well...I cheated...kinda sorta...we paid 20.00 rnd trip for 2 with air miles...Its with Spirit and I know most hate them..but..I would check prices on them..they are very reasonable..even if you pay to check a bag...and buy a seat..I just checked ours..they are at 432.00 USAir 662.00 and Delta is 780.00...I can think of worse things Id do to get to STJ than fly with them.. :D
[/url]