When you snorkel do you wear the fins or not?????

Travel discussion for St. John
Hawaii

When you snorkel do you wear the fins or not?????

Post by Hawaii »

Hi everyone - I am still up in the air with bringing the fins or not? I talked to one of my friends who goes to St. Marteen every summer with her kids and she told me they rarely use the fins. This will be our first time to STJ with our two kids 13 and 10 and would like to do carryon. So I guess I am asking how many of you do not wear the fins when snorkeling? I am thinking if we really need them we could just rent but would like to get all of your great expertise. Thanks.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I always wear them but I snorkle for hours
augie

Post by augie »

You can get by without them, but doing so limits how far you can go, and how well you can deal with currents.

In some shallow, calm areas we don't use ours, but we like to have them for those long swims, especially if we'll in or near open water.
Come see us!
sasky

Post by sasky »

I always wear them. I'd be nervous not to, like I wouldn't have as much control.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Just rent them on island :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

We wear them most of the time. This year we bought 17" fins at Low Key that fit fine in our carryons. They worked great for us but we don't free dive.
You can rent them from several places for $20/week.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

I'm with Augie, I wear them as I can be in the water for hours and have a tendcy to swim out far. The fins I bring to the islands were regular lenght, but I cut them to fit in my carryon, they work just fine. Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

Please wear fins. It's so much safer. You can swim faster, deal with currents and go for longer if you have them on. Unless you are Michael Phelps. In which case, knock yourself out. We rent ours on the island if we carry-on.
datwaymon

Post by datwaymon »

We always wear our fins regardless of conditions. They've gotten us out of some nasty currents on more than one occasion and they allow us to really relax and enjoy our time snorkeling.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

I hardly ever wear fins. My husband always does and we fit his in our carry on . I broke my ankle a few years back and have 3 screws in it and fins honestly end up making my ankle really sore.

The only place on island I definitely wear them is when snorkeling Waterlemon. I do snorkel for long periods of time and it does take me longer to get back to shore. Most of the time I also take a noodle under me in case I need a break.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

On island I always wear fins. But at home in my pool, I wear my snorkel and no fins. I'm sure I look like a big dork, but it's easier to swim laps if I can breathe through a snorkel. :D
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I always wear fins unless I am snorkeling somewhere that is so shallow that using fins would either hit the coral or stir up sediment. Princess Bay comes to mind.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I wear fins, but I don't know if I need them or if they just make me more courageous :wink:
My husband wears them so he can rescue me if I get into trouble! I never have, but you never know...
Coden

Post by Coden »

In January we went on a 14 day cruise, and for packing purposes, I left my fins at home. I only took my prescription mask and my snorkel. I missed my fins every single time I got into the water with my mask and snorkel. I will never leave home without my fins again. Ever! :D
Coden
Figgy

Post by Figgy »

Absolutely! Always wear 'em. Snorkeling around Waterlemon Cay is challenge enough. Can't imagine trying it without some "push power".