Getting to STJ on the 4th of July?

Travel discussion for St. John
Teresa_Rae

Getting to STJ on the 4th of July?

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Flights are crazy now, it's hard to find a good rate.

One of the decent rates I've found would get us into STT at a little before 2 pm on the 4th of July. We always rent a car at the airport.

What will it be like getting to STJ during Carnival?

Should we avoid it? Will it be hard to get on the car barge, or is it the people ferry that will likely be more crowded?
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

It really depends on what is happening when you actually arrive. Last year we arrived on the 3rd and even though it was during carnival, there wasn't much going on at the time so it was no problem. However, I think it goes without saying that it would be very difficult to arrive on island, say, during the parade. Check the carnival schedule whern it comes out to see what will be happening when you plan to arrive.
Bryan
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Anybody have any words of wisdom on this?
- Mark Twain
seagrape

July 4

Post by seagrape »

The parade is crazy crowded. They use the car barges to transport lots of the floats over from STT. They also use one to set off the fireworks that night. Why not splurge and come a day early? The parade is a must-do, at least once! Good luck with your decisions.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Coming a day early would mean an increase in the airfare by $352 per person...times 5 people...$1760 total. So needless to say doing that isn't even remotely an option :lol:

I'm only considering coming on the 4th b/c it is one of very few days where the flights are reasonable. If I was going to splurge we could spend $130 more per person on flights on other dates and have a lot more of a choice as to when we come. But even that seems out of control to me and I'm not sure if we're willing to pay that much.

Bummer about the parade floats. It would suck to get stuck on STT.

Any idea what time the parade usually starts?
- Mark Twain
Pia

Post by Pia »

Jouvert starts at 4am :) The main parade starts between 10am and11am and continues until around 3pm to 4pm. They close the road from the public ferry to the to of North Shore Road (just past Asolare) starting around 8am. Only (I'm guessing) 25% of car rentals are open and none of them that are directly in towm ie: Cool Breeze and you can't get the car in or out during parade. People ferries run frequently - I think continuously once full - have no experience with the car ferry that day (no way I would attempt to take it on the 4th) but I am sure there will be some sort of service - how often who knows.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Pia

Post by Pia »

Forgot - you need to book your jeep NOW - many will already be gone due to Carnival - very busy time on STJ

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
bill

getting to St. John on the 4th

Post by bill »

Every year we go to St. John and last year for the first time we arrived on July 4th. We loved it.
We arrived mid afternoon and saw the last of carnival. A bit wild and crazy in Cruz Bay, but so much fun. I would highly suggest seeing the Carnival at least once. Stick with your plans. We couldn't get our rental car that day - roads are blocked off anyway until late day. The car might be an issue, but i don't think it would be worth changing your flight.

You'll have a wonderful time - I promise!!!
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

What are the dates for Carnival?
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I called STJ Car Renatal after reading PIA's warning. They say they have lots of cars availble for June. I pointed out that I need it through the 4th of July and she insisted, "Penty of cars! Plenty of cars!"

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

luvstjohn

Post by luvstjohn »

Hey Pia, I have to say, you are a wealth of information. I personally appreciate all your first hand expertise. We will be there on the 4th and now that you mention the road closures, will we be able to get to the north shore beaches at all that day or will we be stuck in town? Not like thats such a BAD THING over Carnival. We specifically planned this year to bet there for Carnival. We just want to plan our day accordingly. I know, I know----who plans, we are on island time! Its my OCD, what can I say. Thanks again for all your help.

Bre
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Pia wrote:have no experience with the car ferry that day (no way I would attempt to take it on the 4th) but I am sure there will be some sort of service - how often who knows.
This is the last thing I wanted to hear :(
- Mark Twain
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

We are arriving on July 4th as well. We are getting our car from C&C and they said it shouldn't be a problem. The only issue is that we will have to walk to their office, since they can't drive to the dock to pick us up. No big deal for us, since we travel with carry-on bags only.

We were down last year over the 4th as well. The North Shore road is blocked at Asolare, and you cannot get into or out of town that way. We used Centerline to go up and around to the beaches.

We had so much fun last year that we made a specific plan to return over the 4th this summer. We'll go down to the carnival village that night, get a roti from the roti stand, and watch the fireworks and listen to the music. What an excellent way to start the trip.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

What about grabbing a late lunch on STT and doing your grocery shopping prior to getting on the ferry? Maybe the worst of the vehicle traffic going to STJ would be over?
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

We traveled by ferry from STT to St John on the 4th last year--showed up at Red Hook for the 9:00 am ferry and waited an hour or so, there were hundreds of people lined up in the morning. Had a great time at the parade. I would guess that if you are willing to miss the parade and come later you'd miss the parade ferry traffic--although you might run into everyone coming over for the fireworks. Good luck either way, it's a great time to be on island!
[/url]