Old Question

Travel discussion for St. John
ironman417

Old Question

Post by ironman417 »

Hello, What is the best way to call the States from St. John.
I have a Verizon cell phone but they want $1.99 a minute. Maybe there is a store where you can make cheap call to the States.
Thanks....Al
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

There have been quite a few suggestions in the past to purchase an inexpensive ATT Go phone with pay as you use minutes.. we are going to try it in March. Have a great trip!!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Are you sure your cell phone doesn't have coverage?

With our old plan (Sprint), we could call the states from STJ or even a STJ number from home or from the island and it was all the same, no special charges.

With our current plan (T-Mobile) we can call the states from STJ and there are no extra charges but if we call a STJ number from anywhere, home or on island, there is a charge.

One thing you do need to be mindful of is that on some parts of STJ you can pick up a tower from the BVIs, which will cost you big time.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

I have Verizon and stay in Cruz Bay. You get hit on the roaming charges. Take advice when travel throughout the island. You may bounce off the BVI towers and from there it is sky rocket fly.

My phone stays off 99% of the time. I usually turn it on in the morning and early evening to check for any messages.
Life begins where the land ends!
sadams

Post by sadams »

We stayed in Cruz Bay in early January and were charged roaming fees when I had to make a few calls back to the States on my Verizon cell. You might consider Skype if you want to stay in touch often and are bringing your laptop. Safe trip!!
CarolJLF

Post by CarolJLF »

We have AT&T and we've never had any problems or paid any roaming charges. It might be worth it to pick up an AT&T prepaid cell phone just for the trip.
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

I have roaming charges on my AT&T phone after every visit to STJ. I just call AT&T and explain to them that they have overlapping towers and they take off all of the charges. I have never had a problem. I have had locals on the island tell me that they have to do this every month.
-John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

I have Sprint and it works but you have to be careful where you are on-island. You can be charged roaming and/or international if in the Coral Bay area because it can pick up the signal from a tower in the BVI's. I learned to purchase a $10 calling card at a store(Peace Pine)in St. John thats for calling the US, it seems to work the best. The only time I use my cell now on-island is talk to some one else in my party in a different location. My cell does warn me so I know to drop the call if I'm roaming or considered an international call.
ironman417

Post by ironman417 »

I don't know much about calling cards.
Do they charge so much a minute to use and must they be use only with a land line and not a cell phone?
Thanks....Al
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I'm just going to leave messages in the sand on the Spice Cam. Ruth and Ron wouldn't charge us for that would they?
ironman417

Post by ironman417 »

Good news, I hope.
I called AT&T today and ordered a GO phone for only $9.00 including shipping. I also ordered a $25.00 refill card good for 90 days from them.
So for $2.00 a day I can make as many calls to the States as I want and unlimited minutes. If I don't use the phone one day, no charge that day.
The lady said the was great reception in the 00831 zip code.
Thanks for all you help....Al