Sapphire Beach Information Request

Travel discussion for St. John
vi lover

Sapphire Beach Information Request

Post by vi lover »

Hello!

We'll be on STT for 2 full days before moving to STJ. We'll definitely hit Megans Bay for one of those days and am interested in going to Sapphire for the other day. I have the webcam and check it out daily - looks great!

I really don't know much about Sapphire Beach. Would you please educate me?

1. Public access?
2. Beach Chairs available?
3. Restroom, concessions available?

Thanks so much!
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

Sapphire does have public access, chairs for rent and bathrooms--there is only one place to buy food and quality is not good, prices are ridiculous. Check out the cruise ship schedule as the beach can be mobbed on days when there are a couple of ships in STT.
[/url]
kellog24

Post by kellog24 »

We're staying at Sapphire Beach in June. Couldn't talk the rest of my family into swinging for STJ. I'd love to hear a trip report of Sapphire after you return. Have a great trip!
Connie

Post by Connie »

After staying at Sapphire many times and going back there in June, I can tell you that your best deal for food would be to go to Marina Market and get one of their hoagies if you want to spend the day on the beach. If not, head on into Red Hook for a number of places to eat.

There is one barbeque on the beach that serves hambergers/cheesburgers and fish sandwiches. I've head that they're great, but I think I remember that the sandwiches cost about 15.00 each. There is also a number of people who will come by and take your oder for pizza.

On cruise ship days it usually gets pretty crowded around the lobby and buildings A-C. You can get a nice shady spot under the trees a little bit down to your right when you walk on the beach if it's crowded.

I never felt overwhelmed by the cruise ship passengers except when some of them stand on the coral. Usually, someone will tell them to get off.

Sapphire is a great beach with good snorkeling and the proximity to Red Hook is perfect.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

I have to differ on the food offered at Sapphire.

Between buildings B & C there is a Food cart called the Banana Cabana. They have burgers, dogs, chicken sandwiches, salads, and the best Mahi sandwich around. Beer, soda, and frozen drinks available too.Very good, fresh and quality food.

They usually have a runner for the beach and will take your order and deliver it too you.

I agree with Connie too on Marina Markets sandwiches, they are delish!

Just my 2 cents!