First Windmill on St. John Rises on Bordeaux Mountain

Travel discussion for St. John
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

hugo wrote:Thanks CG...
As a bona fide local, I would be very pleased to have a community wind project on St. John.Given the density our population has reached, there may not be a place where large turbines could be sited on land without noise issues for those within a .50 mile-to 1 mile radius. This is the only issue I consider worth discussing.
Appearance? What makes these uglier than the cruise ships, mega-yatches or big fiberglass boats that spoil my views of surrounding islands? Or, indeed Sirenusa, Grande Bay, Wharfside, Pond Bay, the 200- ft. Bordeaux communications tower, ad nauseum?
Would any of you understand why I find it so offensive every time the tourism economy is brought up as something desirable? Do you have any idea of what has been lost here? I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm just pointing out that people were happy, very happy, on St. John in the past, without any economy to speak of. The bigger the tourism, the more people move here, from both the States and other Caribbean Islands. The more our almost non-existent infrastructure is strained and our fragile environment is damaged. How is this good if it keeps growing?
As always Hugo, you put things so eloquently and so matter of fact. I totally agree with your comment

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

hugo wrote: What makes these uglier than the cruise ships, mega-yatches or big fiberglass boats that spoil my views of surrounding islands? Or, indeed Sirenusa, Grande Bay, Wharfside, Pond Bay, the 200- ft. Bordeaux communications tower, ad nauseum?
If you could, you'd stop any increase of all of those things you cited as being offensive. That being the case, why on earth would you welcome something that you may not think is uglier, but many would consider at least as bad.
RidgeRunner

Post by RidgeRunner »

DaveS007 wrote:Anyone who opposes coal, oil, and/or natural gas, should not take hot showers, heat their house, or drive a vehicle. Wind farms ain't gonna cut it. Hypocritical otherwise.
Just to think, it was only a few short years ago that the science community thought that humans did NOT interbreed with neanderthals.
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Bad form, RR
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

RidgeRunner wrote:
DaveS007 wrote:Anyone who opposes coal, oil, and/or natural gas, should not take hot showers, heat their house, or drive a vehicle. Wind farms ain't gonna cut it. Hypocritical otherwise.
Just to think, it was only a few short years ago that the science community thought that humans did NOT interbreed with neanderthals.
Thanks. I'll spare you the french kiss. My statement stands. At least it's factual and not a lame, juvenile attempt at being insulting.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

It is obvious that people don't agree on this issue, and it is no secret that DaveS and I disagree on a million things but...
Ridgerunner, that was nothing short of rude and childish.
augie

Post by augie »

DaveS007 wrote:My statement stands. At least it's factual and not a lame, juvenile attempt at being insulting.
It's not the latter, but it's certainly not a fact either - it's a strong opinion at best.

I don't think that just because someone is forward thinking enough to want to explore and implement alternative forms of energy to what we've traditionally used, that they are being hypocritical for still using what's currently available.
Come see us!
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

As I said elsewhere, this isn't NIMBY. This is NWIV (Not Where I Vacation).

If it's truly that horrible, people will find other places to go. But, I get the feeling wind farms may become more prevalent everywhere and unless you go camp at Sandals, you'll be hard-pressed to find anywhere not "spoiled".
golfdesign

Post by golfdesign »

Hugo is so right in his/her post.
Also, I just returned and you don't really notice the windmill unless you look hard because of the color. What you can't help but notice is how busy STJ is becoming and how fast the uniqueness and local vibe is being altered. Every so called improvement and development is having a diminishing affect on the fragil personality of STJ.
Ater over thirty years of visiting STJ at least once a year I somehow didn't anticipate this would occur at the current pace and I believe I understand Hugo"s and others sincere concerns.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

hugo wrote:
Thanks CG...
As a bona fide local, I would be very pleased to have a community wind project on St. John.Given the density our population has reached, there may not be a place where large turbines could be sited on land without noise issues for those within a .50 mile-to 1 mile radius. This is the only issue I consider worth discussing.

the above I understand and completely agree with. Noise issues from wind projects that successfully generate enough electricity to make a significant impact on local economy are well documented. Wind noise that is natural is well...just wind. Wind from turbines is not.

Interesting read below.
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea ... bine-noise
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

categolf wrote:Hugo is so right in his/her post.
Also, I just returned and you don't really notice the windmill unless you look hard because of the color. What you can't help but notice is how busy STJ is becoming and how fast the uniqueness and local vibe is being altered. Every so called improvement and development is having a diminishing affect on the fragil personality of STJ.
Ater over thirty years of visiting STJ at least once a year I somehow didn't anticipate this would occur at the current pace and I believe I understand Hugo"s and others sincere concerns.
Look at other examples...look at how "good" life used to be in Southern California...

I live in Maine...Lots of same problems the USVI have. Many cruise ships, monster homes that line our ocean coastlines and lakeshores that don't belong to us the "locals" and no industry to speak of other than tourism. We also have a national park that was a gift from the Rockefellers. Acadia National Park. They knew a good thing when they saw it here and they knew a good thing when they sawe it in St john. Hence, the influx of tourism. Money isn't the only thing they bring.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I will preface my following statements by saying this is only my opinion, you don't have to agree with me or assume I'm trying to start an argument.

Its been mentioned many times on this forum that it's tourism keeps St. John going, and inferred that without our tourist dollars the island would be unable to function.

Personally, I find those statements pretty egotistical coming from people who don't live there. As Hugo said, St. John existed as a private paradise for many, many... in fact hundreds, of years before tourists started bringing their money in. How many of us have said that we wish we could have seen St. John in "the old days."

I really don't think tourists have any stake in saying how St. John should be run or what sort of power alternatives they decide to explore. If you don't like your views being "spoiled" by a couple of windmills, then find another place to take your tourist dollars. I doubt the people who stop going to St. John because of such things will really be missed.
Chet

Post by Chet »

More reading...
http://www.ceoe.udel.edu/lewesturbine/
http://www.brighterenergy.org/12392/new ... d-turbine/
http://www.bluewaterwind.com/delaware.htm

Don't critize and complain. Seek a solution. What is the most effective and efficient alternative energy source for a specific area? How can that energy be delivered? Who benefits? Many questions...
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

[quote="California Girl] If you don't like your views being "spoiled" by a couple of windmills, then find another place to take your tourist dollars. I doubt the people who stop going to St. John because of such things will really be missed.[/quote]

That is a rather shortsighted statement. All I've heard for the last two years is how precarious the STJ economy is and and how they are hurting because of the lack of visitors. If this were not true, why have villa owners regularly offered special discounts off their published rates to visitors who were willing to negotiate? This forum was full of posts made by members who said they asked for and got a lower rate. We've heard from various businesses who were no longer able to keep their doors open. We probably all know island residents that we met there and have since left because they can't make a living.

This was due to a downturn in our economy, world-wide in fact, that is only temporary. What would happen to the island if a permanent change were made - one that cannot be reversed - that affected the attractiveness of STJ to tourists? Would villa owners not be able to sustain their businesses because their loans and othere fixed costs stay at today's levels but their marketability drops? Would restaurants not be able to buy food and other supplies at today's rates because they have to lower their prices?

It is and interdependent global market. None of us can afford to take a smug attitude and say, "if you don't like it take your business somewhere else." Yes we are visitors. No, we don't get a vote in the strictest sense about what happens there. We are, however, the source of STJ's biggest import - US dollars. Without careful management of the entire island, that could stop.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

Wow,this thread has really become contentious. No surprise as these kind of discussions typically result in shouting matches at local city planning meetings everywhere.

I'm going to refrain from getting overly worked up in either direction until I see it for myself. 15 days, Woot!