St. John in April

Travel discussion for St. John
Earlyriser

St. John in April

Post by Earlyriser »

Hi Everyone!

Posted this question on another site with no answer :( Would like to know what to expect on our next trip April 5-20, 2011. How crowded is the island? In the past I have visited in June and it was great! Just love to get away and enjoy the beaches and have a little space! Thanks!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I have only been to STJ in June, July, August, and November, but I've seen posts about it being really crowded around spring break time so you could run into big crowds.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
dctac

Post by dctac »

I was there 2nd week last april and the island crowded at all, aside from when the normal cruse ship days at Trunk.We were on the beach early at Trunk and after a while they came streaming in! After a couple hours they all left! The weather was great..........
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I've been in April twice. I did not find the island any more crowded than in the summer. It's not my favorite time to go because the water's not quite warm enough for my personal taste. But, there are always nice breezes and it is definitely not too hot, so those are pluses. The other plus for me is a non-stop flight out of Boston to STT in April (it stops 4-15) You'll have a great time. :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I think your proximity to Easter/Spring Break (late this year) may impact the crowdedness. I was on STJ last March near Easter and it was WAY more crowded than I had ever seen it.

We will be on island April 15-25th, so it wasn't so bad to scare us off but it may be a bit busier than usual, esp June!
KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

The first time we went to STJ was in April, and it was fabulous. Weather was perfect, and not crowded. Boy, are you lucky being able to go for 15 days... I'm so jealous.
We also were on island one year in March during Easter break, and that was more crowded than usual. Holy week this year will be April 17 - 24, so only your last 4 days should be too impacted. What we found out, was that many people from Puerto Rico come down in their big power boats to vacation, since they get 2 weeks off at Easter. The biggest problem we had was at Leinster, where there were 6 or 7 of these big yachts anchored. The music was blaring, and they were constantly yelling at each other, and zipping back and forth on their zodiaks to the shore (still yelling). It was the first time we were actually driven off of any beach. So..... I'd suggest that you plan your Leinster visit before the 16th. I don't know about the other beaches that have anchorage... this was the only one we had trouble with. Anyone else experience this? Oh yes, on that same year we did the day trip to VG to the Baths during Easter week. That was incredibly crowded. In our experience, spring break was about as crowded as Christmas week. But, crowded on STJ is still better than anyplace else!
Have a fabulous trip!
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

We visited in April once and even though it was after Easter break, it was really crowded on the island. We found out later that it was Patriot's week in New England. We had never heard of it but it was observed when the Boston Marathon was run (sheduled for 4/18/11 this year). I have never seen so many people on the beaches and the line for the ferry to STT was around the block and the airport was insane!
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Spring Break may not be that much of a threat. Ours ends on April 3.

We were down in April '09 and it was great except for an algae bloom that screwed with the snorkeling. But so what, still saw lots of great stuff, just had to get a little closer. The weather was fine.
Earlyriser

Post by Earlyriser »

Thank you all! I would rather know what I am up against! :) I have always loved St. John for the very reason that it is a nice quiet island that is not overcrowded..

Thanks for all the input! Fingers crossed that since it is the week before April Vacation it may be on the quieter side...if not, I will still love it! :)
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Earlyriser, We have traveled the week of Patriots day almost every year for 10 years which is also the week of April school vaca...we have found that it has gotten busier every year in the last decade. Very busy. We have also run into the Puerto Rican "navy" invasions mentioned above a few times.

Sadly, this year we will not be visiting STJ April school vaca week as it coincides with Easter and we can't be away that week due to work obligations. However, the island being busy didn/wouldn't stop us from visiting.

We've been in July and October also and found those times to be quite a bit quieter.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

Berlingirl,
Your reference to the Puerto Rican "navy" invasion nails it. I've been trying to think of a way to describe it. Thanks.
Earlyriser

Post by Earlyriser »

Hi..have more time to respond!

Teresa_Rae- I was kind of hoping spring break was over by April 5????? :( I too have been in June..so nice & quiet!

dctac- Thank you...there's hope! :) We actually get up early, around 5am, and are on the beach by 7am..so maybe we will be off the beach by the time it gets busy!

liamsaunt-Coming from Boston as well! The weather might be better for us being on the cool side. When we went in June it was a little to hot for us to hike! I think school vacation starts the week after we leave..at least here in MA it does..glad to here that you didn't find much of a difference with crowds. When in April did you visit? Couldn't get a non-stop flight... :(

flip-flop-I completely agree with you...although I would like it to be not crowded..I will still love STJ! I will just be at the beach early and leave early. Maybe hike into a few of the harder to reach beaches! Any suggestions?

KathyMN- Glad to hear that you had a great time in April! I am lucky enough to go for 15 days only because I cut out the luxuries...lol!
Earlyriser

Post by Earlyriser »

KathyMN-Continued- We were able to get each flight for 175. (please don't ask the airline, lol, I have read many reviews about this particular airline and this could evoke an outburst from the general public, we can save that for another topic, :)) This was just one of the ways I was able to take two week vacation. My first visit to St. John was when I took an excursion from St. Thomas..I took one look at the island and knew I would be back! 2nd trip-rented a house (Glenmar) 3rd trip- Maho Bay (site A-11) Loved every minute of it! This trip- Baresite on Cinnamon Bay! Still Jealous? I may have lost a few of you here...lol! But I love to camp! Tent, sleeping mat, pillows, solar shower...etc, perfect!!!! (for me) but to be honest, I think I could sleep on a rock on STJ and be happy! I am just thankful I am able to go! I hope to miss the big invasions that you speak about lol, maybe if I go early these folks on the boats will be snug in there boatbeds! :)
Earlyriser

Post by Earlyriser »

Gigi-Eeeek! Getting many mixed reviews for April! April vacation starts the week after we leave..or around that time..it seems to be a gamble at this point! :) Thanks for the info on the ferry. Good to know!

ClevelandDave- At last...a little hope! Although for some reason I picture most of the kids wanting to be on St. Thomas. Right/wrong? Don't get me wrong..I have a teenage daughter..I like kids..but the whole spring break partying is for them... not me! :) First time I heard of the algae bloom..any suggested snorkle spots? I really want to try Mary's Creek this time..we loved Haulover...it was amazing. At first I was a little nervous to get in the water. The was was very choppy and I don't consider myself a great swimmer. But once in it wasn't bad at all. Was also nervous about swimming out to Waterlemon, but found that easy as well. Would love to see a Seahorse!:)
Earlyriser

Post by Earlyriser »

Berlingirl- Wow! Every year for the past 10yrs! Now I'm jealous! Would love to hear some of your favorite places! :)As for these 'invasions'...sounds interesting to say the least! Trying to invision it..kind of like the series 'V'? :)And yes..crowds will not stop me for now..but I suppose if STJ turned into a 'Cancun'..It would lose the reason I love it so much..quiet, peaceful, & beautiful..fingers crossed it will never! :)