Anyone ever vacationed in Jamaica?

Travel discussion for St. John
ILoveTheIslands

Anyone ever vacationed in Jamaica?

Post by ILoveTheIslands »

Has anyone ever vacationed in Jamaica? I'd love to go back to St John to get away from it all, but I have been ruled out by the other 3 traveling with me. :cry:
Thanks in advance.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Please try to revive our <a href="http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/travel ... <b>Jamaica forum</b></a>!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

I attended a wedding once in Jamacia. It was an "all inclusive resort" in Ocho Rios. Its proabably not the best experience for a comparison. I think there are lovely older resorts, but also the ubiqutoius Sandels, Club Med and Hedonisim types. Not my style at all. The ride from the airport to Ocho is almost three hours. There are a number of resorts nearer the airport. I did enjoy Dun's Falls, but it was very crowded.
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

I had only been to Jamaica for one day while on a cruise - so I know I am not that informed about all the virtues of it - BUT - here's my take anyway... It is a BEAUTIFUL island- it is LUSH & MOUNTAINOUS - something I love. The snorkeling, however, is not great. More importantly, it is not the kind of island where many tourists seem to drive around willy-nilly -it is not known to be the safest island. From what I understand, most people go to a resort and pretty much stay on the compound - perhaps with a side trip or two. If you are the kind of person who wants to go to a beautiful island and stay put at a beautiful resort - then it might just be the ticket. :wink:
Peace,

Lisa
augie

Post by augie »

We stayed at an all-inclusive resort in Negril for our 10th anniversary. It was beautiful and relaxing. The only side trips we did was a catamaran booze cruise to the west end, and my wife did a shopping trip to a straw market.

I was busy diving every day. The diving and snorkeling isn't fantastic there, but it's pretty good (in Negril that is).
Come see us!
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

We rented a villa outside of Montego Bay with our extended family a number of years ago. I had a good time, but probably wouldn't go back. The extreme poverty just makes me a little uncomfortable and I have a hard time enjoying myself in the midst of this. In addition, the water is not nearly as pretty as in the Virgin Islands. Negril had a beautiful beach, but it is filled with beach vendors, offering both legal and illegal products. There were a couple of beautiful resorts that might tempt me to return---Round Hill and Half Moon Bay---but we just love the Virgin Islands so much I'm sure we won't make it back to Jamaica.
---Jim
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

We went to Jamaica a few times, but also felt uncomfortable with the contrast b/w the opulent resorts and the extreme poverty. I also don't like feeling like I have to stay within a barrier.

My sister, however, rents a villa on the beach at Negril every year and loves it.
Crazy Otto

Post by Crazy Otto »

I've been on vacations in Negril and Ocho Rios. I second some of the things already posted here: beautiful lush scenery, compared to the sometimes arid conditions in the Virgin Islands; nice beaches, but then of course the USVI has plenty there too. There is extreme poverty, and around some of the resorts they caution guests not to venture out on foot at night. We had a great time at both places. While we were in Ocho, we did a bicycle trek from the top of the Blue Mountains down through old banana plantations down to a waterfall. It was incredible.

I would have to say my recent trip to STT topped my trips to Jamaica, probably because we rented a villa in STT where in Jamaica we stayed at resorts. IMO you can't top the villa experience.
Reality is over-rated!
LandLockedBeachLover

Post by LandLockedBeachLover »

Too bad you got overruled! At any rate, my husband and I were married in Jamaica at Breezes Runaway Bay. We stayed there once before. It's really hard to compare the VI's with Jamaica as they are 2 completely different vacations. I agree with the rest of the poster's that it is difficult to stomach the extreme poverty (ave income there is $5K, yes per year!). Also once you're there, there are no other islands in which to travel. However, if you stay on the resort (and they are all immaculate and well-kept for the most part) it is fine. So just make sure you are at a resort where there is lots to do during the day. We are, I guess what you would call, "party and beach people" so we like to just sit on the beach (and they are beautiful) and drink all day :P , have dinner and crash (repeat for days 2-7)! Not sure where you live but www.worryfreevacations.com has great last minute deals with charter flights (direct) and the all inclusive packages. Have fun!
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

We were there 23 years ago, this week! We've never gone back. It doesn't sound like thingsw have changed too much however. On the resort property things were great, but if you stepped outside of the fence you were immediately hit on to buy everything from sea shells to ganja! On night were were walking on the beach inside the resort property and a guy came out of the water to try to sell us ganja. Resort security was all over him in about 30 seconds!

Again, the was 23 years ago so it really doesn't help you much. :roll:
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

23 years ago I might have taken him up on it :lol:
DonnaC

Post by DonnaC »

Spent a few days at the Half Moon Bay Resort..it was gorgeous..but there were ARMED guards posted outside the barbed wire fence around the property..Spent one day last year there on a cruise tubing thru the rainforest..It was beautiful and we had a BLAST..the cab driver heard we wanted to stop for jerk chicken and drove us to his favorite spot and went inside to speak with the owner to make sure we were treated well..lol The owner came over to our table a number of times to make sure we were enjoying the chicken..we walked back to the ship and were offered drugs if we were interested in buying but not aggressively..
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

John's aunt used to own a small hotel on Jamaica. She ended up selling it a some years ago because of the crime on the island and, just as importantly, her deteriorating relationship with her employees. We never went down to visit, but some of the other family members did. Everyone who visited commented on the beauty of the sunsets, the prettiness of the beach at the hotel, and the good food. On the other hand, John's aunt made my sister in law travel with a security guard when she went into town, and she was still harassed verbally. Not my idea of a fun time.

If you stayed at a gated all-inclusive you would not have these issues, but you'd have to decide if you would like that type of vacation.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Crazy Otto

Post by Crazy Otto »

For what it's worth, I remember getting off a cruise ship on some other islands (Grenada, St. Lucia) and leaving resorts on a couple of other islands, and getting besieged by locals selling all kinds of stuff legal and illegal. I've also travelled in South and Central America so I'm used to it, but my wife has limited experience dealing with desperately poor people trying so hard to earn a few dollars. She was intimidated.

I found the people in Jamaica (for the most part) very friendly and warm. But you do have to understand when you travel in many countries how poor many people are, and as a visiting tourist, you represent an opportunity for them to make some money. Treat them with respect and a firm "no thanks" and most of the time you avoid problems. But there are areas just like in any major U.S. city where you have to take some precautions.
Reality is over-rated!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I went to Jamaica with a bunch of friends during our senior year of college (5 years ago). The constant offers of every kind of drug under the sun were a huge turn-off, but the beaches are beautiful (as long as you look out toward the water...many of the buildings along the beach are eyesores, at least in Negril where we went). We stayed in a regular hotel on the beach, but I've heard that you don't get bothered if you stay in one on the all-inclusive resorts.