Would you compromise your lodging standards for more trips?

Travel discussion for St. John

Would you compromise your lodging standards for more frequent trips?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:44 am

Yes, the more trips the better!
70%
No, the villa experience is more important to me.
15%
I already travel to STJ on a no frills budget
15%

Total votes: 53

Xislandgirl

Would you compromise your lodging standards for more trips?

Post by Xislandgirl »

After our no frills trip, I thought I would get people's opinions.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

from our first trip to the one we have planned for next year we have paid less and less each time for lodging. that being said I have never considered any of the places we've stayed to be budget or no frills. I can honestly say I will never camp or stay in a tent. It is just not for me and if that's the only way I can afford it I will pass. If you like that and choose that that's another story but it is not me.

overall I find I'd rather pay less for a place with less bells and whistles and stay longer.
Kealani

Post by Kealani »

I would be happy with a clean room and indoor plumbing on STJ however my hubby is much more picky. I can camp here in NH but not sure how I would feel about it in the tropics those large spiders scare me more then the bears.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Don't get me wrong...I will not camp :lol:
djmom

Post by djmom »

I would if it was a "known entity", meaning I had seen it or it came highly recommended. I don't want to be in a place with nasty beds or horrible screens.

But we go a little nicer, just because we wouldn't be able to fit in another trip during the year.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
loria

Post by loria »

yes.....will camp ,whatever....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I can't really take any more time off from work, so that is the biggest limiting factor for me right now. Given that I can only get away for a couple of weeks a year, I want to make the time I do have off reasonably nice. If I had more vacation time, I would probably choose less expensive lodging in favor of more time/trips.
---Jim
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Ditto to djmom. If I knew the place was well maintained and decently furnished (I don't mean fancy, just clean and not all broke down and shabby) I would go for the longer vacation.

Not on STJ but on other islands, we have stayed in basic places that were just fine. We also have stayed in basic places that were gross -stained bedding, cig burns on the furniture, stained plastic cups and plates, dirty stoves, broken outside furniture - ICK!
petepie

Post by petepie »

It seems like it's getting harder to find low-frills lodging on St. John that is also clean and well-kept. I may not be looking in the right places, but it seems that the options are going to either end of the scale - lots of new villas and condos with high end appointments (granite counters, nice furnishings etc.) and high prices, but many of the lower priced properties are getting poor reviews for maintenance and upkeep. I'd just like somewhere basic with formica counters and basic furnishings, but that is clean and maintained, not that feels a little dumpy. Like I said, maybe I just haven't found the right sources for those types of accomodations.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I don't care that much about the interior of where we stay. I care the most about the view. Honestly, I don't think I would rent a place without a view, even if it was significantly cheaper and that meant staying longer. We spend a lot of time at the houses we rent, hanging out on the deck, reading, grilling, etc. I have discovered that I don't really need a pool, and we never use the hot tub if there is one.

All that said, John is pickier than me, and he is the one that makes the final decision on which house to rent.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

liamsaunt wrote:I don't care that much about the interior of where we stay. I care the most about the view. Honestly, I don't think I would rent a place without a view, even if it was significantly cheaper and that meant staying longer. We spend a lot of time at the houses we rent, hanging out on the deck, reading, grilling, etc. I have discovered that I don't really need a pool, and we never use the hot tub if there is one.

All that said, John is pickier than me, and he is the one that makes the final decision on which house to rent.
I'm in total agreement with Becky on this one. Clean and comfortable is what I'm all about then it comes to accomodations. I'd much rather have a fabulous view and comfortable furniture to relax and read in than a pool and hot tub which we rarely use unless the family is with us.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

The less money I spend on lodging, the more I can spend on boat trips and booze. So, pretty much as long as it has a place to rest my head and get a shower, I'm good. That being said, I am a sucker for a good view and I'd probably stay in a rat hole if I had a good view.

I'm really not picky. That's why I hate that my group always puts me in charge of picking the lodging. I am not joking when I say I have considered sleeping in a Jeep at Maho just to be there. And even when we've stayed at places that were not nice by St. John standards, and they were still nicer than most of the homes I've lived in. Now, bugs and dirtiness I can't deal with, but if it's clean and such I'm OK. I'd prefer not to have springs poking me in the mattress and such...

I would camp. Even at Cinnamon Bay. It's scary, but I could literally crawl to my favorite beach, which makes it cool. I think it'd be hot though. And I don't like to be uncomfortably hot.
KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

We are not "high end" travellers, especially to STJ. Our goal is to swim/snorkle/hike our brains out, and when not doing that, just relaxing. 20 years ago, I was lured to the island by an article about camping at Maho. In the end, we didn't camp. Now, 20 years later, I'm no longer interested in camping. But.... Don't need a pool-- spend as much time as possible at the beach. Definitely don't need a hot tub. Don't need AC. Love the fresh air. Don't need granite/fancy kitchen. However, I refuse to compromise on cleanliness and decent beds. We've been very lucky in finding a couple of more affordable places, and we just keep returning to the same ones. I'd much rather save the money and be able to go back more often. (monthly would be just about right.) :D
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Kathy or anyone else care to share clean, no frills places? The only way we will get back to STJ would be on the cheap. I don't need a to die for villa, but I do need clean and a view.
jmq

Post by jmq »

I thought the villa-meister vote tally here would be higher – maybe it will get more votes.

Over the years I read of the fabulous villas and see the photos in the trip reports and go “ohhh.., that IS nice” then punch up the villa and the rates and it says $XXXX for a week.
Wait…that’s over $500, or over $600 a night, or more. And with airfare, jeep, meals, etc. that makes the per diem expense for a family of Y...about then my brain freezes up and I say God Bless, as do the villa owners.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide