underwater camara

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
LauraD

underwater camara

Post by LauraD »

I see some beautiful photos on the STJ travel forum and wonder what type camara are you using? I am starting to look for one myself and would like some reccomendations. I would like to try and keep the price around or under $300.00. Another thought would be to get an underwater camara housing thing for my kodak Easyshare(love my little camara). Thanks, Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
Chet

Post by Chet »

Cannon Powershot D10. It's next on our wish list.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

I've used a drybag type case (dikapac) that worked surprisingly well. It's certainly not ideal, but can get some good results. Might be something to consider. Camera is a Panasonic lumix.

http://flickr.com/gp/ross_mike/4TyR28
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

A friend of mine told me about her experiance with a DicaPac(all good). Are the pictures you posted taken with your camara in a DicaPac? If so, very nice. For my camara the pac would be under $40.00. Will definitly check it out. Thanks, Laura
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

The Canon D10 is great. That's what I have used on my past couple of trips and I have been pleased. It works well above grond also--I am in Disney now and am letting my nephew use my D10. Some of the pictures he has taken are better than the ones I am getting with my Rebel.

Edited to say that to end up with really good underwater shots, you have to take the time to do some post-processing to pull the blue out of the shots. That will be true for whatever camera you choose. I have photoshop, but Picasa is free and works great.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

Yes, all the photos were taken with the dicapac. Also used it in Hawaii as well. Like I said, it's not ideal, it's a little more work, best to practice shooting photos with it before you are in the water. I didn't want to invest in yet another camera specifically for underwater use, so it served it's purpose.

They make different sizes, so make sure you get the right one for your camera, before we bought one, I used a friends who has a bigger camera, was harder to use since it moved around inside a bit more.

Also comes in handy if you get caught on the beach in a Tropical shower.

Agree with liamsaunt, you will have to process some of the blue out of any underwater shots.
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

I love my Canon Powershot D10 and ended up using it for all of my photos when we were in St. John in November. Thanks again to the forum friends who pointed me to it!
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

the more I read and reviews I have seen on the web I think the Cannon is the way to go. I will probly get the DicaPac for my daughter. Thanks everyone, Laura