Places to visit similar to st john

Travel discussion for St. John
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Kauia

We loved it there and will be going back in 2011.

Great thread! Full of ideas.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Kauai...the Grand Hyatt.

Mackinac Island...hey it's an island and very different.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

There are very few places that I feel I NEED to retun to, but Kauai is one and obviously STJ is one.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We liked Virgin Gorda. Very similar beach access, easy to get around, even more laid back than STJ, more close-to-the-beach lodging options.

We have been to Provo, T & C for vacation as well as work. Depending on what type of vacation you are looking for, Provo has elements that compare to STJ - laid back, beautiful beaches and water, good restaurants. lots and lots of on-the-beach rentals. On the other hand, it is far more developed then STJ.
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

I think a similar thread was alive here about a year or two ago.

Anyway, I stayed in Elbow Cay in the Abacos (Bahamas) a couple of years ago. Very quiet & much less crowded, but not as tropical as STJ (i.e., relatively flat.)

Had to rent a boat to get around island to island. Ferrying was possible, but not nearly as much fun.

I recommend it,
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

Hmmm..
Kauai was beautiful..we splurged on the Princeville for a couple of days on our 10th anniversary. However, the water is downright COLD...especially if you like STJ! Summer water temps only in the 70's!!! yikes.

We really loved Maui, but can't compare it to STJ...just a nice island with lots to do.

I'm really interested in this thread, too, because we most likely won't be making what has started to become a traditional STJ trip (after only 2 straight June trips!) this coming summer due to a family trip to England with a large choir the entire family sings with. Hoping to take a short 4-5 day beach trip without the kiddos late in the summer if we can swing it.

Someplace I have started to research due to the proximity and short flights is Tulum, Mexico. Anyone wiht insight would be greatly welcome.
KT
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

KTinTX wrote: Someplace I have started to research due to the proximity and short flights is Tulum, Mexico. Anyone wiht insight would be greatly welcome.
We just returned from Xcaret, which is just north of Tulum. We visited Tulum as well as some beach stops between Tulum and Xcaret.

I will post a trip report on the OT forum. While we had a great trip, the area doesn't hold a candle to STJ.
KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

Highly recommended by friends who love laid-back atmosphere and great snorkeling are Culebra and Akumal. Haven't been to either one yet myself, but they're on my list. Almost booked Culebra for January, but the call of STJ won out!
Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

I agree, Kauai is definately a beautiful place.