Caneel Bay Resort...

Travel discussion for St. John
StlBeachBum

Caneel Bay Resort...

Post by StlBeachBum »

I am new here and didn't find anything strictly covering Caneel Bay Resort...I probably missed it, sorry.
My wife and I are planning a week there in Feb. and before we book, I was just looking for any pros and/or cons all of you experienced St. John travelers could give. Still trying to make the final decision.
Thanks
My only worry in the world...
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

We love Caneel. What questions do you have?
StlBeachBum

Post by StlBeachBum »

Diana2 wrote:We love Caneel. What questions do you have?
Too Stuffy? Jacket for dinner?
Rooms nice enough?
Which rooms would you recommend? We are leaning toward beachside. Is it worth the extra $$?
Is there a better beach to try to book a room on than another?
Other places to go have dinner? Cruz Bay?
I am sure my wife will have more.
Thanks
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We are Caneel fans, our most recent trip was in July.

Too stuffy? I don't think so.

Jacket for dinner? Maybe at Turtle Beach Estate House, definately not necessary at the Terrace or Equator.

Rooms nice enough? I think so but keep in mind, there is a mid-century, miminalist vibe going on - simple teak furniture, all tile floors (no carpet) no tvs, no phones.

For our first several trips, we stayed on Scott Beach and yes, I think it was worth the cost. This last trip, we stayed on Hawksnest, second floor and we liked the location as well as the room. The Hawksnest rooms have front and back balconies.

Different beach locations have pros and cons. We like the quiet areas and actually enjoy walking to and from meals so we liked staying far away from the main area. Other people may like being close to the restaurants and water sports.

Lots and lots of dining options in Cruz Bay. Always taxis available at the taxi stand and never a problem catching a cab home.

Caneel is a very different type of resort. I think people see the price and assume it is going to be a Four Seasons type of experience and it is far from that. It is all about the beaches and peace and quiet.
stampede chuck

Post by stampede chuck »

Glad to see you made it over here StlBeachBum (I'm chuck wagon from Buffett News). You should get lots of opinions on places for dinner, but we really enjoyed Zozo's at Gallows Point and the Lime Inn, and you have to try to get to Skinny Legs in Coral Bay for burgers. Happy planning ... I'm still trying to iron out a few more details for our trip in March.
Collin
"Packin' up the bathing suits, gettin' out the cowboy boots. That's a sign we must be going home"
StlBeachBum

Post by StlBeachBum »

stampede chuck wrote:Glad to see you made it over here StlBeachBum (I'm chuck wagon from Buffett News). You should get lots of opinions on places for dinner, but we really enjoyed Zozo's at Gallows Point and the Lime Inn, and you have to try to get to Skinny Legs in Coral Bay for burgers. Happy planning ... I'm still trying to iron out a few more details for our trip in March.
Thanks for the tip about this site! Already getting great ideas for out trip in Feb!
Good luck with your planning also!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I love, love Caneel Bay, and am happy to help you out.

In February, you will need to wear closed toe shoes and a jacket to dine at the Turtle Bay Estate House. The Equator requires a collared shirt (polo is OK), but no jacket.

I do not think Caneel is stuffy. It is very relaxing and quiet. The rooms are fine--not Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons style, but comfortable and with nice linens and bath supplies. Remember there is no TV or radio in the rooms. There is free wireless, and it's pretty fast.

If the price of the beachfront rooms is OK with you, it is very nice to be able to stroll right out onto the sand. Keep in mind that the ocean view rooms are less than a five minute walk to the beaches and are cheaper. I have never stayed courtside so can't really comment on that.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Too Stuffy?

Surprisingly (to me), not at all. All of the staff and guests are exceptionally well-mannered. But not at all stuffy.

Jacket for dinner?

I was there this past Feb and did not wear a jacket, even for the Turtle Bay Estate House. Slacks and a collared shirt were fine. If you did wear a jacket there, you would not be overdressed though.

Rooms nice enough?

Yes, they are "nice enough". As mentioned though, they are NOT fancy resort style. Comfortable, for sure. But not what I would call elegant.

Which rooms would you recommend? We are leaning toward beachside. Is it worth the extra $$?

I love spending someone else's money. So yes it is worth it. We had a first floor room on Hawksnest Bay that was perfect for us. Hammock on the beach about 10 steps from the patio, and the water was just another 10 steps away. Wonderful.

Is there a better beach to try to book a room on than another?

Scott Beach has a bar, if that is important to you. I would stay there or Hawksnest. The privacy at the far end of the resort is very nice.

Other places to go have dinner? Cruz Bay?

Some people rave about the meals at Caneel, but for the money I would prefer to eat at one of the many restaurants in town. All the meals we had were great, just a little pricey compared to off-resort. There's a lot to be said for the convenience of eating right there though.

I am sure my wife will have more.
Thanks

The Caneel experience is different from staying at other places on the island. It is the only place you can stay and have access to all those fantastic beaches right at your doorstep. If paying for that convenience you definitely will want to take advantage of it. But I do feel that you will miss a little of the St. John experience if you restrict yourself to the resort.

My ideal St. John vacation might include a week at a villa, 3 nights at Grande Bay, and 4 nights at Caneel. But we all have different preferences, so you gotta make your decisions on stuff like that.

You really can't go wrong whatever you decide, and you definitely can't go wrong at Caneel. It's a wonderful place.
StlBeachBum

Post by StlBeachBum »

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. I look forward to more!
ihochman

Post by ihochman »

We love Caneel. Actually we'll be there for 3 days in February. We're rental a villa from 2/17/10 -2/26/10 and then go to Caneel for 3 days. It's great!! We play tennis, hang at the beaches and just relax. I highly recommend it.
StlBeachBum

Post by StlBeachBum »

ihochman wrote:We love Caneel. Actually we'll be there for 3 days in February. We're rental a villa from 2/17/10 -2/26/10 and then go to Caneel for 3 days. It's great!! We play tennis, hang at the beaches and just relax. I highly recommend it.
That sounds perfect. I really enjoy renting houses on the beach, especially Cape Cod, but this will be our first time in St. John and we want something easy. But, I bet, we will be looking around the island at rental homes for the next trip down there!!
StlBeachBum

Post by StlBeachBum »

I was also wondering about the kayaks offered at Caneel Bay. Do they allow you to take them out for extended times of 2 hours +? I enjoy kayak saltwater flyfishing and was hoping to do some while at Caneel.
jmq

Post by jmq »

You can ask. I know they don't let kayak newbies leave the Caneel Beach "bay" i.e. within sight of the dock. Not sure if they'll make exceptions for experienced kayakers.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
StlBeachBum

Post by StlBeachBum »

jmq wrote:You can ask. I know they don't let kayak newbies leave the Caneel Beach "bay" i.e. within sight of the dock. Not sure if they'll make exceptions for experienced kayakers.
Thanks for the info...
I'd bring my own kayak if I clould check it w/ American!!
StlBeachBum

Post by StlBeachBum »

WOW...My trip is finally almost here!!! Feb. 5th can't get here soon enough!! Any more or updated ideas for bars/restaurants?? I read somewhere else here that you can request a fridge for your room...didn't know that,but like the idea for beer white wine and snacks!!
GOing crazy waiting in the snow for this trip!!! :shock: