Condition of rental Jeeps

Travel discussion for St. John
gores95

Condition of rental Jeeps

Post by gores95 »

Hi all. Leaving Wednesday morning...getting close! We had rented on STT with Dependable in '08 for our STT trip and have a reservation with them this year too for a 4 door Jeep Wrangler. I recall our last Jeep with them was very old...is this typical with Dependable's Jeeps?

I called Amalie Rental Car and while their prices are a little higher the guy told me they just got in a shipment of BRAND NEW Jeep Wranglers! I am now debating the switch. What do you guys think? I want to be sure the AC works real well and our problems are minimized while on STJ!! Thanks.
Marc

toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

I cannot comment on the equipment that Dependable issues but I will say that L&L has always given me a "new" jeep. New meaning less than 15k miles.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
dtenel
Location: My feet are in Michigan....My heart is in St. Thomas

Post by dtenel »

We rent from Amalie every year and have never had a problem. All of their Jeeps are in amazing condition, and the owners are gems to work with! Last year we had a Jeep that was not even a year old. I am excited to see what they have for us next month. I say....make the switch :D The little extra $$ is so worth it IMO. Have a great trip 8)
kklay

Post by kklay »

Hello,

In March we rented from Dependable and received Suzuki's - not brand new but not old - no problem with the AC - worked great! We are renting from them again in November and have requested the 4 door Jeep Wranglers - just wanted more room in the rear to haul items to the beach. 8)
gores95

Post by gores95 »

I just called Dependable who told me their 4DR Jeep Wranglers are all 2007's which I guess isn't too bad. They also told me I am in the nonrefundable cancellation period now so I guess I will be staying with them. Otherwise I would have switched to Amalie with their 2010/11 Jeeps! Thanks.
Marc

sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

No worries, as long as it runs good, its proabaly better if it already has a few dings!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

As long as the AC works, I am happier with an older rental. That way if it gets a small scratch or bump, I don't feel terrible.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Agree with recent posters about older jeeps. If tires are good we prefer the older ones and don't have to freak out as much over wet seats or sand. With two kids, that is a big deal.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
jmq

Post by jmq »

Cannot overemphasize checking the tires. And, I would probably put making sure the CD player works or has an aux jack for the iPod ahead of AC.
Gotta have your tunes/island mixes - you can always roll with the windows down!
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
RickG

Post by RickG »

I've rented those 2007 4-door wranglers from Dependable at least 6 times with no real problems. There's a blue one that has a hard top that rattles, but two beer coasters wedged under the latch solves that problem. As people say, check all 5 tires.

As for a/c and full-time 4wd, know that will kill your gas mileage on those hills. We leave both off unless we really need it.

Cheers, Rick
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI