ISV - Trip Report - Day 1

Travel discussion for St. John
SusanNJ

ISV - Trip Report - Day 1

Post by SusanNJ »

My husband and I have been traveling to the Virgin Islands since '03 but we have never stayed at a villa on St. John. Being it was our 7th time staying on St. John, we figured we would finally give it a try. After going back and forth (since the beginnig of the year) we decided to go with Island Stones Villa in Catherinberg.

Our flight from EWR to SJU was uneventful. We only had about 38 min. to spare before heading to Cape Air, but they never leave on time so we were able to make the connection without any worry. Unfortunately one of our bags didn’t fit since the flight was full so we had to wait for our luggage until the next flight from SJU.

My friend who lives on STT picked us up from the airport and drove us to Red Hook to catch the ferry. It was nice to see a familiar face and also have a few drinks along the way.

We were able to catch the 3pm ferry. Before we knew it we arrived in Cruz Bay and the weather was just perfect. I immediately ran to shore to "scribe" my name. I had my sister and a coworker on stand by and they were able to capture it for me:

We were greeted by our villa managers and took us to High Tide for a refreshment. From there, we headed to Courtesy Car Rental to get our 4-door bright taxi cab yellow jeep wrangler.

By the time we were on our way to the villa I was feeling quite happy and ignored the fact our one missing piece of luggage contained ALL of our toiletries. No worries, it was time to see this villa once and for all.

I don’t think there are any words that can describe the villa and the views besides “jaw-dropping”. We were blown away by it. It was a challenge to get to, but it was worth it once we were there. Unfortunately our cell service was out of service when we got up to the villa. After the tour we were left with this entire villa to ourselves. Our friends would not be coming in until the following day so we were able to pick the bedroom we wanted. The main house contained all the bedrooms besides the master bedroom, which was located steps away in another unit which was actually part of the original house. We also had the villa provisioned with St. John Catering and had everything there waiting for us. I also order a few grill packs so that we had a few things ready to grill.

Since we had no cell service and were waiting on our luggage, we decided to shower (with small bars of soap that were already in the villa) and head back into town. We first stopped at the Beach Bar, but it was hard to find a spot so we went back to High Tide. After ordering a round of drinks, I called Cape Air to ask them the status of our luggage and they said it should make the next ferry, which by now it was around 6:30pm. So we wound up ordering a few appetizers while we waiting until the next ferry. I ran over to the ferry dock when the 7pm ferry arrived and still no luggage. I called back Cape Air and they said that if its not on the 8pm ferry, they will not bring it over until the following day. After the 8pm ferry and still no luggage we headed over to the convenience shop right outside of Rhumb Lines to grab a couple of toothbrushes, toothpaste and mouthwash.

Then we headed back to our villa in the dark. I quite impressed that my husband was able to remember they way back without really any signs. Once
we got back, we saw the pool glowing at night and just listened to the frogs at night. It was just beautiful (except for the mosquitoes and no see sums). We were exhausted and headed to bed.

Mary L

Post by Mary L »

Great start, I love reading your trip reports. The villa looks awesome.
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

Yay! A trip report on a new villa. What are the round things in the pool?
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Nice first day! Even without toiletries! The villa pictures are stunning so it must be 1,000 times better in person~ 8)
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
gores95

Post by gores95 »

Jo Ann - VA wrote:Yay! A trip report on a new villa. What are the round things in the pool?
I am guessing these are round stools and tables in the pool. Nice!
Marc

XOXO

Post by XOXO »

What a beautiful villa-especially at night! I am looking forward to the rest of your reports.