Will a 4 door Wrangler hold 4 adults and 4 suitcases?

Travel discussion for St. John
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Just rented a 4 door in July. It'll hold 4 adults and some luggage. Depends on how you guys pack. If youre not heavy packers, you could make it work. On the other hand, if you all overpack, you will be short on space.
Bryan
papabou

Post by papabou »

forget whom you are "planning" to rent from on stt, discount or dependable, we've used both several times and pleased with vehicles and service. had 2 couples 4 times, 2 grand vitaras from dependable and twice 4 dr liberty from discount and had plenty of room for luggae everytime. on 1 trip with 4 checked bags and 1 good sized soft carryon, that bag had to ride between back seat passengers. while liberty seemed to have a little more room than vitara, the liberty seemed a little underpowered, but old folks like slow.

on your thoughts about renting a 2 dr jeep on stj for 4, big mistake because you will have no room for beach chairs, bags and mainly a big cooler for all the needed adult beverages! even if you go light to beaches, (& why would you?) the ones whom ride in back seat will need to be little winkers with plenty of flexibility. when just me and bride, we rent a 2dr jeep. bride is 5ft 100 lbs, she did back seat behind driver one day to get out of "death seat" up front. on way back to villa she claimed the shotgun seat and explained she'd rather die in a crash with the concrete truck than get in back seat of jeep again. remember though she has been on medicare 2 years. if there's anything old folks like better than slow, it's roomy!

papabou
RidgeRunner

Post by RidgeRunner »

I own a 4D Wrangler and it has more than enough room for 4 adults plus 4 large suitcases. I would think to get any more room you would have to move up to a full size SUV.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

Thank you RidgeRunner! Hubby has conceded to the Wrangler (I love winning :)) if it's a little tight, we'll deal with it. It's only the initial ride to the villa and back that we have to worry about anyway.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Chances are the villa greeter might allow you to place some of your luggage in their vehicle (not a guarantee though) so that might help.

Worst case you could always tag team. Leave a person behind to do grocery shopping and they can come back for them later after dropping people and luggage off at the villa.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

kristen1206 wrote:Thank you RidgeRunner! Hubby has conceded to the Wrangler (I love winning :)) if it's a little tight, we'll deal with it. It's only the initial ride to the villa and back that we have to worry about anyway.
Heres a link with a picture of the four door jeeps cargo space...Just like RidgeRunner said...you will have plenty of room for four large suitcases...like I indicated in my earlier post, this is what we plan on renting for our July trip...there will be four adults and one child...plenty of space...although we are carry on only travelers...which helps... :wink:

http://www.jeep.com/en/2010/wrangler_un ... r/storage/
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Granted we pack a lot, but we rented a 4D Wrangelr and could not have been able to get four large suitcases in that vehicle unless the seats were down. Clearly others have though, so I guess you'll see.

No matter what you'll figure it out.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I always pack some parachute coed and bungie cord in the out side pocket of my suit case to put the luggage on top and to also put the beach chair up there. Just put it next to your machtte LOL
Tom
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Hey waterguy-- I HAVE to have my machete!! :lol: 8)
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

Good idea about the bungee cord! Piscesgirl...I had emailed a picture like that to my husband earlier and that's when he realized it had more room than he thought.
linda

Post by linda »

This summer we rented a 4 door Wrangler from Dependable and took the car barge to STJ. We were a group of 5 adults and were all able to fit with luggage and an extra suitcase that I had packed with food. We have also rented a Jeep Liberty and I really didn't see much difference with either car. The 3 adults in the back seat seemed fine for room and we spent a lot of time driving around the island.
RidgeRunner

Post by RidgeRunner »

I don't quite understand the replys about the back of a 4D Wrangler being small. It is larger than that of a Tahoe if the 3rd row is in.

And seats folding? Perhaps there was once a different version but beginning around 2008 a new model was introduced called the Wrangler Unlimited with 4 doors plus a rear area just a little smaller than what you find in a 4-Runner.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

I saw both a 4 door Wrangler and a Liberty on my way home from work and the back of the wrangler looked just as large if not larger than the liberty.
RVBama

Post by RVBama »

Absolutely it will be plenty big. We had four this summer. Held four medium to large suitcase plus carry ons fine. Beach days, it held four chairs, a cooler, beach bag, 4 noodles, 4 packs of snorkel gear with no problem whatsoever. We rented from Conrad and all was great. Enjoy