Incredibly true tales of trying to rent a car on Jost

Travel discussion for St. John
Gromit

Incredibly true tales of trying to rent a car on Jost

Post by Gromit »

Well, after my first try a few months ago I decided to take a break.

But I'm getting itchy britches about our trip (soon come) and wanted to get this one last detail out of the way.

I've been kicking around whether or not to even rent a car, but If we take more than three cab trips a day back and forth to dinner etc. between Ivans and Great Harbor, we'd break even so we're just going to go for it. It's nice to have the option though we could get by without it.

So after the debate between hubby and myself over the car vs no car option, I figured I'd call Abe & Eunicey's to secure my wheels.

First call. Phone rang 10 times and clicked over to a message that said, "If you can here me this phones broken, please call (and she gave a number).

Since I didn't quite catch the cadence of the numbers I dialed back and listened more carefully this time. Got the number.

Called the NEW number. The phone rang and I greeted her warmly (this was reciprocated) and asked to speak to Miss Eunicy.

A cadence of west indian tumbled into the phone line followed along with some english and I was told I was going to be given another number to call, the battery was getting low on the other phone and that there was another phone upstairs they could use but it was unavilable. Then she gave me another phone number - a mobile -- followed by "Nicey, this nice lady gonna call you on your mobile!" shouted over the receiever.

We're getting there....

Finally dialed the last number and reached the woman herself.

Warm greetings were exchanged and I expressed my interest in renting a car in early December for a week. She gave me a good deal on the rate and a day free and I was happy. We exchanged mobile numbers and she took my name and CC # the old fashioned way.

She says their dock was hurt and some of the on island businesses had some damage but the government is coming and is going to help get people fixed up fast. She seemed pleased with the government response.

I told her that I pray she stays safe and healthy untl we get there. I could almost hear her smile.

So 6 months, 8 phone calls and four conversations later I have finally rented a Suzuki Jeep for a week on Jost van Dyke.

Vacay soon come!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Dear Gromit,

Come by anytime.
You get it.

One Love,
Jost
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Good for you! Hope you guys have a great time, maybe with the car you will get to do some exploring of places you haven't yet discovered. Enjoy!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

You are nothing if not persitent :-)
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

It's all about the journey..... And wasn't it a fun one! Love your wonderful attitude- it really is reciprocated there- love Jost! I relaxed just reading your story! Now if I could just find a hammock and a Painkiller!
lsugolfer

Post by lsugolfer »

Did you get a confirmation number?? :lol:
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Last time i rented there they didn't even take my CC number.
Tom
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Yeah, the whole thing makles me giggle.
:lol:
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

This is why I love the islands! Can't wait until your trip report!