Suggestions needed for charter boat for a day of snorkeling

Travel discussion for St. John
northerngal

Suggestions needed for charter boat for a day of snorkeling

Post by northerngal »

we got the villa and the jeep now I just need a flight :( and we are thinking about doing a charter trip this time...have never done one. Any suggestions, and how do we get a hold of these guys? I have seen names pop up on other comments but I'm not seeing links anywhere? THANKS!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I LOVE Capt John with Palm Tree Charters. Really my favorite day on vacation!
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

We love Josh with Lion in da Sun. Here's their website.
http://www.lionindasun.com/
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

In July my wife & I had a great time with Capt. Han on Fly Girl. www.flygirlvi.com
Bryan
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I second the Palm Tree Charter recommend. Capt John Brandi is a fabulous host and will go wherever you wish or will put together a day for you, if you aren't sure what you want to do and see. His boat is comfortable and perfect for a full day out on the water.

http://www.palmtreecharters.com/
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Kealani

Post by Kealani »

Rick is the new owner of Lion in Da Sun- We went out with him the end of July. One of the best days of our vacation.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

They are all fabulous. 8) It depends on what you want. If you want a sail boat instead of a power boat, I think Wayward Sailor is your boat. :) Not only will you get a great day of snorkling, if you are not careful you might learn something too. :wink:

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

mahojim

Post by mahojim »

It depends on the size of your party, too.
My faves (for a larger party)-www.motoryachtcinnamonbay.com .
We had a party of 6 out with Capt. John with Palm Tree Charters this past April, and it was perfect! www.palmtreecharters.com .
Can't say enough about both of these charters. Wonderful people, and incredible times with both.
Smiles-
MJ
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

We have done at least two charters a trip over a 20 year span of visiting STJ, and I can honestly say that we've never had a bad day out. I think that most of the people who do the job are good personalities and good captains...

That being said, we really did enjoy John Brandi (twice!) our last trip, and loved his boat. It's comfortable and quiet.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

I can second John Brandi with Palm Tree Charters (power boat) and Han Winogrond with Fly Girl (sail boat) and Sail Safaris (Hobies)- have been out with both of them multiple times and they are awesome! I think both of their links have been posted. Both respond great to email. A power boat will get you more places faster, and a sail boat is all about the journey- just depends on what you want, as jimg said. But I really think you can't go wrong- all awesome people!

We never miss a day on the water when we go down there- either for snorkeling, sailing, or just beach hopping- always great!

Note- bring your passports if you want to go over to the BVI (I highly recommend it).
budman

Post by budman »

Not sure if you want to sail or powerboat?We have been going out with Truman on Flyaway Charters for the last several years. I think he is at Flyawaycharters.com. He has two powercats that are very comfortable for up to 6 people. You can go anywhere on these. In April four of us went to Foxy's, Sydney's, Bubbly Pool (Very COOL), White Bay for Soggy Dollar pain killers the Caves/Indians. He will go anywhere you want or just let him decide for you. One trip we went to several spots @ Jost and then to Norman and Willy-T's and the Indians. He meets you at Skinny's dock area, which is convenient if you are staying on the Coral Bay side, even if you are not at least you end up at Skinny's for happy hour!!. I think last trip he charged @$495 for the boat, fuel @$125, custom fees and then tip, I think we are usually @$800. This day is always the highlight of our trip!

Have fun,
Budman
leslieeliz

Post by leslieeliz »

Definitely John B. with Palm Tree!
allanw23

Post by allanw23 »

We have booked 3 trips with Palm Tree Charters. John is the best! He knows all the spots and the history of the islands. Each time was better than the last. Best part of our trips to St. John.
awardb

Post by awardb »

Have heard good things about most of the St. John charter boat operators, but I'd have to second budman's recommendation: Cap'n Truman Barbier of vi flyaway charters. We've used him two years in a row.
This year we had him take us to a bunch of great snorkel spots, all around St. John, that you can't access (easily anyway) from the beach.
It was the highlight of this year's trip to St. John. We spent the whole day on the water with him, and the snorkeling was the best we've ever experienced while on the island. I had one or two places we wanted to snorkel for sure, all of the rest of the spots were his recommendations, and they were superb.
I can't say enough great things about Cap'n Barbier and his operation in Coral Bay.
Highly Recommended!
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We've been on several day trips on STJ and our fav was Long Distance with Rick and Robin. It was a very special snorkeling trip.They were warm and friendly - great hosts. Our favorite was the snorkeling in the mangroves in Hurricane Hole. The trip we took was snorkeling oriented (which we wanted) and not as much party time (although I think they did serve rum drinks). I would highly recommend them.