Question for Historical Minds

Travel discussion for St. John
CariBert

Question for Historical Minds

Post by CariBert »

On an historical map of St. John, Oxholm 1800, it has Chocolate Hole named "Chocolade Hull".

Does anyone know the history of that name or where it came from, and how it got changed to "Chocolate Hole"?

Just curious.

Map:

http://www.stjohnhistoricalsociety.org/ ... -64.732218
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Gromit

Post by Gromit »

As you probably already know STJ was ruled by the Dutch for a lengthy period, resulting in a serious slave revolt during the 18th Century (I could have my dates wrong but I think we're talking 1700's). "Chocolade Hull," in my best estimations, is "Chocolate Hole" in Dutch.

As you know the Dutch have a long history of trade and Chocolate hole was used as a natural harbor on STJ (referenced in Night of the Silent Drums) for many years. Perhaps it has something to do with trade.

I have old Maps from Mapes Du Monde of STJ and STT at home with all of the original Dutch names on island.

Sorry, not much to offer but it's a start ;-)
*Another fine scatterbrained production
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Thanks Gromit, interesting stuff....well, to me anyway.

I thought it was Danish at first, but a quick check of the danish-English translater and it turns up nothing (Chocolade Hull, that is).

-Bert

CariBert

Post by CariBert »

By the way, Chocolate Hole in Dutch is "Het Gat van de chocolade"

I'll keep searching......thanks again, gromit.

-Bert

Gromit

Post by Gromit »

A google search substantiated the definition I provided at a .nl (netherlands) web site.

Oh well. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Keep in mind those web translators have varying degrees of accuracy.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Gromit I bet those old maps are fascinating -- I love stuff like that. I have a really cool big one that I bought in Paris years ago... seems like I notice something different everytime I look at it. I'm going to look up Mapes du Monde
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

That would be Danish. Not Dutch. The Dutch passed thru and did not give it a go, the Danes came next.
Over here in STT we have Hassel Island that is actually Estate Okanshullet. Translated, Hurricane Hole!
RL 8)
Elwyn

Post by Elwyn »

Using a free translation sight I found, "Chocolade Hull" in Dutch is "Chocolate Wrap". Raely doesn't help, does it.

Elwyn
Per pale Or and gules, three crosses patonce counterchanged
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Hi Ron, glad you rang in! I know you have a wealth of knowledge concerning the Virgin Islands, any thoughts on Chocolate Hole? I am interested mainly because we will be staying at Calypso del Sol, which over looks Chocolate Hole, and I am interested in any history of the places we stay.

Chocolate Hole is an unusual name (for a bay) and I was wondering if it has as interesting story as, say, Lovengo does. You know, the one about the brothel hence the name, Love and Go.......

Thanks,

-Bert

Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

I would recommend checking out www.stjohnhistoricalsociety.org. The web site has a wealth of information, and if it doesn't have anything in reference to what you are looking for, I'm sure you can contact them through the site. Some of the members possess a ridiculous amount of knowledge on historical St. John...it's quite interesting!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Another thing occurs to me that you seem to have referenced. That sometimes the english pronunciation/ translation of names often bastardizes the original. For some reason I can't think of an example right this minute, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

English speakers say the name differently as written in the foreign language and thus changing the meaning in the english language.

Sorry, it's been along week and I'm fried bt maybe someone else out there can elaborate...
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Actually, Gromit, I know exactly what you mean. I was thinking the same thing, changing the word Hull to Hole....we tend to do that a lot with our language. One of the reasons English is so gosh darn hard to learn!!

On a side note (sort of an Imus moment) that's why we will never have a Miss Ebonics USA... no one wants to be Miss I-Da-Ho......budda bing.....

-Bert

StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

I always thought it was called Chocolate Hole because the pond is so brown. In retrospect, this might have been a dumb assumption.
-Ruth
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

From my Danish/English dictionary. chokolade en: chocolate, hul et: hole and it would be my guess that the pond there is what they are refering to as being chocolate.
RL 8)
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Thanks for the good info Ron and Ruth. Any ideas what the pond is? Natural? Salt water, fresh? Man made? One of the reasons I am really interested in that pond is the location of the villa we are staying in is pretty close to it, and I know here in Texas, a pond equals skeeters.......soooooo,just curious about the area in which we chose to stay.

And, by the way, since there is a grill there at the villa, we will be stopping in the Spice Store for some rub and spices and coffee and such.....please don't run out, Ruth.....see you in June!

-Bert