My experience with Caribbean Villas!

Travel discussion for St. John
loria

Post by loria »

BRY1105 wrote:Lets get a little more specific. Which company are we talking about here?

www.caribbeanvillas.com

OR

www.caribbeanvilla.com
Lulu, thanks for clarification, NC mom, you might want to change up the name of your post to remove the S--would be horrible to detract from a company you did not intend to.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Pia

Post by Pia »

I've never heard of the "local accommodation council" but don't worry you can alway come stay with us as long as crazy (but friendly) puppies aren't an issue :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

There is a STJ accomodarions council, I used to be a member but we NEVER discussed guests by name to blackball them. I realize that this was 10 years ago, but I would not worry about never being able to rent.

I am sorry that they treated you poorly, I would be angry, too!
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Well, I feel bad about your experience, but I have to tell you we've used CV 10 times and have never had an issue. In fact, whenever we've had problems at our villa, they've been extremely responsive.

I had a discussion a few years ago about the 5% charge by CV with the owner of the villa we often use. He seemed to indicate to me that this was not something that affects the renter.....for instance, total price on a villa by CV compares favorably in the market with houses marketed by other rental agencies. He said the starting rental price is lower by CV, so after the 5% its a wash. Now I can't remember why he told me he'd stay with CV, because seemingly the owner gets less cash. Maybe someone on island can clarify this for us. But, we're repeat renters, we pay our bills, we treat the villa like our own, and we've actually negotiated better rates because of this. Agents love repeat renters, who wouldn't?

I'm not criticizing you here, but I feel really uncomfortable dumping on the local businesses on these forums. I think I've mentioned it before, but things happen, sometimes there are mistakes, sometimes misunderstandings....and the critical reviews can go out to thousands of people very quickly. I consider myself a guest on their island. We show up one week per year, they have to live it every day. I'd hate to screw their business because of it though, life is too short.

Hey, maybe I'm the minority, sorry 'bout that.....or maybe I'm just a wimp! :?
lprof

Post by lprof »

Information on the Accommodations Council...

http://www.stjohnaccommodationscouncil.com/

NCSue, I hope all your troubles with this villa experience are soon resolved so the memories of the happy times on St John can be enjoyed.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I'm so sorry to hear about the flooding and gardener 'visits', then the ridiculous charge. The gardener thing is a bit scary to me - having someone in the house unexpectedly like that. I hope you had a nice visit, in spite of these issues.

I have to chime in to say we also have rented from CV 3 times on STJ and had great experiences in the villa we rented twice and an ok experience in the other. CV was always responsive on the few occasions we've had issues.

Wow, trips to STJ 6 times. I am envious.
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

Are they really two companies with similar names? Seems so as they have different web sites. You guys aee bashing the original one of Caribbean Villas and Sue is talking of Caribbean Villa, no 's'. Not fair to the first one. JMHO. I wonder how they were allowed to have such a similar trade name, that should not be allowed.
No one can ban you no matter what the organization. Just idle talk. It's obvious they are underhanded as they even are hiding under the cloak of the first company!
RL 8)
Pia

Post by Pia »

Well, well, well you learn something new every day :)

Thanks

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

It certainly seemas that NCSue has a legitimate gripe.
But I think there is value in what surfnh says about dumping on local businesses.

Before posting, perhaps we should allow for a cooling-off period, giving both parties time to reach a settlement (as seems to be developing in this case). Then, if one party feels there's no recourse, he/she can turn to the forum.

TM
1hornbfish

Post by 1hornbfish »

Have used them many times with no issues. I like using their website because it very user friendly, and has great descriptions of the villas, and can check availbilty on the site.... Who has a website that is similar to use? A lot of sites you have to email for availibilty..I find that a pain.
Cid

Post by Cid »

I disagree. If you have a bad experience that you feel was more than just an honest mistake I think you should post it. While we are only weekly visitors, we are also the economic engine for the region. We live in the internet age. Businesses have to be at the top of their game if they want those tourist dollars. Word of mouth used to be your family, friends and co-workers. Now it's being spread to the masses when companies make mistakes or outright screw people. That's the way things are now and if you own a business you should very aware of it. If you choose to charge $400 for twin bedding I think you get what you deserve. I do feel bad for the other company if they are in no way affiliated, but yet again, one of those businesses chose the similar name or chose not to challenge the others useage.
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Just my opinion...
NCSue is not a huge contributor but has been on the board for years. This is not a one hit wonder post that many boards see,they come to trash a company and never come back. That is suspect. This is a forum member sharing her experience. She paid money for a villa, had some very unfortunate situations, and, based on what I have read, was treated very poorly.
I think that she has every right to post her experience.

I have used them 2 times and not had a problem, but that should not lessen the fact that she did not have the same experience.

Again, just my opinion.
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

Thanks for the support Island girl! I respect the fact that other people have had positive experiences with this company. I too have rented from them twice before with very pleasurable experiences. My experience with them this time was really overall fine - until the ridiculous charge for the sheets.....which again - were in no way shape or form our fault! The handling of this situation really turned me off to this company. As stated earlier - if you've had a good experience with them then by all means - continue that relationship! I am just stating my experience. There are sooo many villa owners / rental agencies that I think would have handled this situation a lot differently. Anywho........its Friday and I'm on to chillin for the weekend!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Like Lulu, I am the type of list any problems.

That leaking would have put me over the edge! Maintenance issues set me off.

I realize stuff happens but as a renter, one has the right to expect basic comfort and a roof that keeeps water off one's head (and floor).

I am glad that bedding charged was removed. Quality bedding would not have bled that way so the amount was completely unreasonable.
RidgeRunner

Post by RidgeRunner »

I would be one to push it back the other direction.

Take a look at your lease agreement, it was probably for a house with X number of bedrooms, regardless as to how many occupants you actually had. A pod that leaks is hardly habitable so the CaribbeanVilla company did not deliver what they agreed to. Therefore, I would demand a refund of z % where

z = (1 - (No. of bedrooms habitable / No. of bedrooms promised)) x 100

You will probably be met with laughter but you are welcome to come on this forum and remind everyone of your experiences as often as you wish...