Painting help?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Lulu76

Painting help?

Post by Lulu76 »

You guys seem to have good advice on everything else, so I thought I would see if anyone here had suggestions for me.

I need to paint the guest room in my house for my friend, who is going to be coming to live with me.

The room currently still has the original drywall primer from when the house was built four years ago. However, the primer is looking a little rough from the previous person who lived in the room. Most specifically, there is a dirt ring in the corner where his bed rubbed up against the wall (I bought this house from my friend -- not the dirty person -- who is blind and never did anything with the walls becuase she couldn't see them)

My mom swears I need to use a dirt/odor blocker primer like Kilz first because of the dirt ring.

A friend of mine says the new paint color is dark enough (a dark teal) and the walls are already primed, so just paint it.

Another friend says her friend told her just to sand the walls down and paint them, no priming.

I am wondering if I should just scrub the dirt stain down as best I can and paint over the existing primer.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

P.S. A third friend just texted me and told me to get the paint with primer built in. So confused...
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I just painted one of our bedrooms, and I'm no expert, but I can tell you I certainly wouldn't sand! That's a lot of work and a huge mess!

I'd wash the stain as best as possible, then prime the room with KILZ, and then paint. If you do that, you'll be happy with the job for a long time. I'd prefer to go to the extra work and do something right the first time, rather than have to do it twice! :roll: :lol: I've seen the ads for the new paint with the primer built-in, but I don't know how well it works...it might save you a step.
Last edited by California Girl on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Just how dirty are we talking. Paint works best on an clean and well primed surface. In the end you will be glad you took the time to prime it again before adding a new coat of paint. You have to do most of the prep any way, masking, etc... Bite the bullet.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

One of my friends at work suggested I call Sherwin Williams because the people are smart about paint. This is what he told me.

1. Don't scrub the walls because it's just flat drywall primer and you can't scrub it without damaging the drywall.

2. But I can just get spray kilz and spray the parts that look rough. (He said kilz pretty much "kills" the dirt -- I guess that is how it got its name!)

My other friend is just repainting her house after the flood and she is loving the paint with the primer built in. She says one coat and it looks great.

I guess I will investigate my options when I get to Lowe's but I am leaning toward a coat of Kilz and a coat of paint...
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

If your paint color is quite dark, you might want to have your primer tinted, Lulu. In my experience, you'll get better coverage and depth of color, that way.
Enjoy your project!
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

Definitely don't sand. It will change the texture of that spot compared to the other parts of the room and you'll risk damaging the drywall.

Those unprimed walls will suck up a lot of paint so if you're not going to Kilz the whole room (which I would so you have a consistent base to paint on) buy more paint than you think you'll need.

Ditto on the comment about tinting your primer if you have a dark shade. The tint should be a little lighter than your final color but it will cut down on the number of paint coats you put on. Have done this several times and it works great.

Good luck and have fun!
Jennifer

Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

So, I went to Lowe's, showed the guy my paint chip and explained the situation. He hooked me up with some fancy new Valspar paint that I thought was reasonably priced. It is the paint with the primer built in, and he said I shouldn't need the special primer.

We are painting tonight, so I will report back tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Looking forward to hearing how the new paint works out. Our motto is prime, prime, prime...so this new paint saves a step. Have fun! :D
Coden
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Sorry wish I would have seen this sooner - in my in-between years and through college (roughly 19 to 29) I was pretty much a professional painter. KILZ or another type of stain blocker would be good on the dirt spots - but - 4 year old drywall that has never been painted should also be completely primed, or it is just soaking up expensive paint. Ideally you could stain block the bad area, then prime the whole room. Light sand it (not sanding where you remove the wall, just a dusting with a fine sandpaper to get rid of debris and roll cover dust, etc.) and then at least two top coats. If you are going dark, the primer can be tinted first. Ideally the primer is oil based. And light sand between the two finish coats, again just to smooth the finish. This is what a pro would do. Sadly, I think traditional house painting is a lost art... it is really a trade but is one of the only un-licensed ones that I know of.

And you can't go wrong with good paint like Benjamin Moore or Pratt & Lambert - the cheaper paint is cheaper for a reason -it simply has a higher water content, and less pigment. It doesn't cover as well, makes more of a mess, and will not last as long. When you are talking about a couple of gallons for a room, $50 bucks instead of $25 is really worth it in my opinion.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
SS in NC

Post by SS in NC »

I agree with Anthony on the paint quality...you truly get what you pay for...do go with a tinted primer for dark top coat applications - check with a "paint store" or the paint manufacturer for the correct primer tint.

I've done my fair share of painting. The substrate should be clean and dry...not necesarily "hard sanded" as too much sanding will create a different texture of substrate and show the difference after paint application. I'd do my best to clean up the "dirty areas" and prime them (kilz) ..allow time for the primer dry and apply a second coat of primer, then hit it with a top coat or 2...the manufacturer should have a "hot line" to call with questions about substrate preperation...it is what they do...

Good luck with your venture!

Scott
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

I too did a stint as a professional painter. I would prime the entire room since it has been awhile since it was primed.

Second, buy GOOD brushes and rollers. They make a difference. I suggest Wooster or Purdy brushes, not the cheapos either. After you are done using them, make sure you clean them very well (use a wire brush if you need to) and lay them flat, with all of the bristles together, soaking wet, to dry on their own. This will make them last a very very long time.

Third, make sure you buy a LOT of paint if you are using a dark color. You will likely have to do three coats to make it look right. Most people do not put enough paint on dark colored, or vivid colors, and it ends up looking very sloppy and unprofessional. When you apply it to the wall, make sure that your roller is loaded, don't try to spread it too thin or push the roller against the wall to make the paint go further.

Make sure you post some pictures when you are done!
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Lulu, I think you made a good decision. The new paint plus primer is a good product. Please report back. By the way, it is really kind of you to open up your house to your friend.

xoxo
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I probably bought way too much house, and I was getting lonely all by myself. It will be nice for both of us to be in a more social environment, I think.

A friend of mine whose house was in the floods in May has become a bit of a painting expert with all the rehabbing she's been doing at her home. She came over and helped me. Really, she did 3/4 of the work.

It is looking great. The color is amazing. It is Valspar signature color Hotel St Francis Blue (http://www.valspar.com/explore-colors/h ... olors.html), and it is a gorgeous color. Not something I would've chosen for myself, but nice.

The paint plus primer is good, but when I do the rest of the rooms, I am going to prime them with Kilz first, and then just buy paint. The walls really needed to be reprimed and totally soaked up the paint. The room was only 120 square feet (with two doors and a window) and I have to go get another quart to finish up the last wall. It said on the can that it would paint 350 square feet with 8 foot ceilings, so a gallon should've done it.

If I were painting over existing paint, I would use the paint + primer again. It is a good product. The walls look amazing. They just absorbed the paint. I did use the brand of brushes that was recommended here. The guys at Lowe's were very helpful (as was the guy I called at Sherwin Williams. I love their paints; my friend just happened to pick this Valspar signature color, so I got it at Lowe's because they sell Valspar).

I have picked another of the Valspar signature colors for my bathroom (Grand Hotel Mackinac blue), but I am wondering if I should go to Sherwin Williams. I painted my dining room chairs nine years ago with one coat of custom paint from Sherwin Williams (they created colors to match my napkins) and they still look beautiful. They are expensive, but definitely made to last.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

That Hotel St. Francis blue is an amazing color! I bet the room looks wonderful! Pictures please! The website doesn't display the Hotel Mackinac blue, but since their palette is beautiful, I know it must be also be a great color! Good for you for doing your homework (pun intended!) :D
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Here is a link to the Grand Hotel Mackinac Blue:
http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Match-of- ... 100073.htm

What I was trying to capture, after looking at no less than three dozen shades of blue-green, was the color of the water near the beach at Maho. I was thinking about my picture with the palm trees reflecting on the water.

I also wanted it to match my shower curtain :)