Leaving a gift behind for the Villa

Travel discussion for St. John
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

We stayed at a villa where they told us to date any condiments that we added to the fridge. I thought that was nice they they weren't going to throw stuff out that still might be good. Of course I hadn't thought about anyone licking the knife they used until someone here mentioned it.

We leave booze that's already opened so no one has to transport it back. That's a nice gift for the cleaning staff or next guests, whoever gets it. (In a side note, one time on a trip -- not to the Caribbean -- I accidentally spent all my money on booze and left all the leftovers behind with a note for the cleaning staff to enjoy it since I didn't have any cash to leave as a tip! I'm so classy.)

I also left a battery charger there last time. The only way to get rechargeable batteries was to buy the ones that came with a charger, and I already had one. I put it with all the electronics in the villa so hopefully someone got some use out of it.

I haven't left anything weird -- just pool floats, beach towels, neat sheets and the like.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

I really like the date the container thing. Sometimes I do that at home since I cook in spurts. (Right now I am making chili.) Okay, so Canada Ruth, you have to remind me to bring a magic marker. Oh! I could leave that! I found these really cool ones that have a different tip on each end.
_____
Things I have in common with a raccoon: dark circles under my eyes, stay up all night, eat junk.....you know the rest!
theshopper3

Post by theshopper3 »

This is not quite the same as leaving something at the villa, but we have had the priviledge to vacation in Cuba many times & have taken so many things for the locals it is incredibly gratifing to see the look on there face when you give them something they have trouble getting.

I am not sure which of these two items were the most gratifying, we had vacationed at a resort twice before & became friends with one of the bartenders ( actually that would be Mr. Shopper :lol: ) & the concierge. I emailed the resort prior to our 3rd visit & asked if there was anything special we could bring them. The concierge person was having her first child & wanted Bumper Pad for the baby's crib... So out I go to get them. That was a challenge to pack, but the look on her face melted my heart, for the bartender he & his wife were just finishing up building the little home they could afford, so I found some tropical curtain for there home, he was overjoyed. To give is so gratifying.
At this same resort we were approached by a gardner that we had given new socks & somes old t-shirts to the year before & he remember us & came over smiling & pointing at his shirt, it brought tears of joys to both of us.

The strangest, would have to be on our last trip, we ended up with a stow away, this was left on a neighbouring Island for the local guy's :shock:

The Shopper
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I accidentally left my USVI road atlas at Sea Forever. It is a good idea though. I have left food, booze, etc.
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

One year my husband gave me a gift of a hummingbird feeder to bring to the villa we stay at. A couple of theirs were getting a little worn out. I thought that was cute.
gardengal

Post by gardengal »

I haven't thought about leaving a gift for the villa but we always bring extra sunscreen and bug spray/wipes with us and never bring them home. We also bring flash lights and leave them too. That's just because we don't want to pack them back up.

Also any food item that wasn't open we leave in the pantry or leave for the cleaning staff. If there is frozen food we've purchased we leave a note when the food was purchased.

If we use any alcohol that was left in the villa we replace it before we leave. I'm a wine drinker so that often isn't a problem ;).

We've only stayed in one villa that had NOTHING- not even salt. That sucked and we ended up buy a lot for that short trip.