What don't you like?

Travel discussion for St. John
54b

Post by 54b »

I'd just like to put a good word in to say that I've been to STJ three times and have yet to experience one truly rude run in with the locals. Sure, they don't stoop to kiss my butt and I've met a few on the road that were not exactly impressed with my ability to drive like a pig on roller skates, but that seems no different than any other place this side of Pleasantville.

Certainly doesn't make me an expert on STJ hospitality am I'm not saying the experiences related above are embellished, I'm just finding it hard to believe the same tiny island can feature such disparate experiences.

Not that this would probably help, but I'm curious if anyone on this forum who's experienced such blatant rudeness on STJ has ever just stopped and said, "excuse me, but why are you being so unpleasant to me?" Just to hear some of the replies would be really interesting.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I have to disagree here. Parisians truly are the rudest people in the world. Hands down. French people hate tourists more than anyone I have ever encountered. Worldwide. (Although I do think that part of that is that all Europeans -- from London to Istanbul are more direct and truthful than Americans who will blow sunshine up your skirt to be polite and keep the peace.)

That being said, I am trying to think of my rude run-ins with locals. I am finding it hard to think of any. The ferry workers are a little gruff, so I just don't tip them. And I tell them that's why I'm not tipping them. But taxi drivers, National Park workers and even the dreaded Starfish cashier have all been pretty nice to me. There was one shop in Cruz Bay where the lady was rude, but we just don't shop there anymore. And she wasn't even nasty, she just ignored us, even when we asked her how much things cost. We said "Good morning" and all that jazz.

But for the most part, I find people to be lovely. I have met some great locals. Slimman and his lady friend are super-nice and we always spend time chatting with them when we park our car there.

There are jerks everywhere. Maybe I just tolerate them more when I'm soaked in rum and sunshine.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

See, I think it all comes down to individual experiences and expectations. When we were in Paris everyone was incredibly kind to us. The only rude people we met were other tourists who were trying to cut in line at the museums, boat tours, etc.

I ony remember one truly rude local person from all of our times on St. John. Maybe there have been others, but my memories are of people interacting in a perfectly polite way. I don't expect people to act like they are my best friend. Polite and reserved is just fine.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I am glad that you had a good experience in Paris. I loved the city, but seriously I cannot think of one person I encountered there who was not downright nasty. Oh wait, there was one lady who helped me find the bathroom at the Musee D'Orsay who was sweet. But hotel staff, tour guides, metro workers, waiters, shopkeepers -- they all acted like they wanted us to disappear. And I am not a rude person. Not in the slightest. I think they just had a problem with les Americains.

But that does raise a good point. Everyone's experience is different. And sometimes, whether wrong or right, no matter how polite you are, the person waiting on you might be having a bad day. Sometimes we pay for other people's mistakes, I think.

I just hate when people say they had a bad experience in a place that I love. It makes me sad.
RidgeRunner

Post by RidgeRunner »

I don't like having to drive from Coral Bay to Cruz Bay just to get gas. Those jeeps don't get the best mileage to start with!
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

I too come from an area that is supposedly known for it's "rudeness" - NYC so don't expect or want alot of kow-towing when go places. Just plain niceness is all we ask.

The only other island we have found to be less than friendly was Grenada,that island is one can truly say will never go back to. Found STT people to be alot friendlier & politer than STJ, which is a little surprising considering the volume of people there and all the cruise ship people they have to deal with. Am not talking about the jewelry store etc owners either. Just the plain STT folks on the streets, helping us w/our map to find places,giving up seats on benches to sit down,holding doors and the few shopkeepers that we dealt with who were very helpful even when didn't buy anything. All returned our greeting w/smiles & small talk. Not so on STJ, sorry STJ lovers.

Must have gotten the wrong impression from here about always greeting people w/ the right words & a smile & it would be returned. Not going to name stores or restaurants etc. not here to do so.
But we visited the Lutheran church in Cruz Bay and the Pastor & two other ladies were there, none of whom greeted or even acknowledged us when we said good morning. I am a Deacon in our Lutheran church and anyone comes into our church and they will be greeted warmly & welcomed to sit & pray or ask any questions etc. We sat for a little bit, said a prayer and read the Bible, then left. Still w/o being greeted, found this to be very sad & said a prayer for them.

Maybe everyone was having a bad week or something? But it was disappointing. Always look forward to talking to locals about their hometown & their lives there, am a talker(ask berlingirl who met me !ha)& interested in all people everywhere.

Oh well, maybe when we try again in a few yrs, will be diff.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

In my experience, many native Virgin Islanders are extremely reserved. This comes off as aloof or rude to many people.

When I joined the choir at the Catholic church on STJ it took 3 practices to get some women to even give me more than a nod. They were not rude or snobbish, they were very reserved and private and someone new needed to be "checked out" before they let me "in".

I know that my experience as a tourist is different, after living there, I still know people and always feel like people are friendly, but that is because we have a connection.

I am not directing this at anyone, since I don't know most of you, and I am only speaking for myself, but.... While living on island I encountered tourists that were fake polite. Just pretended to be polite because someone told them to. A fake smile or strainded voice can really put someone off. Just because you say the words, doesn't mean that you mean them and it comes across loud and clear to the person that you are speaking to.
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

Xislandgirl wrote:In my experience, many native Virgin Islanders are extremely reserved. This comes off as aloof or rude to many people.

When I joined the choir at the Catholic church on STJ it took 3 practices to get some women to even give me more than a nod. They were not rude or snobbish, they were very reserved and private and someone new needed to be "checked out" before they let me "in".

I know that my experience as a tourist is different, after living there, I still know people and always feel like people are friendly, but that is because we have a connection.
I am not directing this at anyone, since I don't know most of you, and I am only speaking for myself, but.... While living on island I encountered tourists that were fake polite. Just pretended to be polite because someone told them to. A fake smile or strainded voice can really put someone off. Just because you say the words, doesn't mean that you mean them and it comes across loud and clear to the person that you are speaking to.
I hear you 100%, it's patronizing & insulting to the person it's directed to. But I for one, am genuinely interested & care about everyone as a person,not as a "tourist oddity". I pray that is not how we came across, but think not since Ms vie & her daughter sat with us for a bit talking & so did a gentleman who lives on the east end part of the yr. Think they would have spotted "phony" in a NY min. if we were.
Think we just hit a bad time that week. Just took us by surprise after all the postings on the friendliness of STJ people here. so expected more.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
BeAsUR

Post by BeAsUR »

For days now I have been trying to think of what I don't like about STJ. I finally have something: I do not like it when someone fails to "get it".

We just got back and the beautiful experience of STJ is still in me. We did not encounter anyone that was rude. The people on STJ are hard workers and very proud. I especially enjoy talking to them and listening to their "story".
Here's a toast to you on the coast....

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
loria

Post by loria »

I guess that i hate thtat the kids school schedules and camp stuff pretty much means we are stuck going in high season and that usually means christmas---it's not so much the crowds (which i am not crazy about, but whatever) it's the expense! the airfares right now are about 800+per person--I am thinking we have to stay home this year......
oh for the days when i could yank them out of school at will and just take off.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

The only time I hated being on STJ was watching a couple in Cruz Bay. I hated the fact that the wife had to put up with the husband's bullshit in front of a lot of people. He had a small boy on his shoulders, following behind his wife and yelling about what a bad mother she was. She was trying to ignore him and had probably heard it all before, but she gave me this look that I'll never forget, hurt, embarrassed but proud. They were both in their 20's and I felt so sad for the child and the wife.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Well...Tipsy I will have to say you are one of the nicest people I've ever met on island!! You are a wonderfully softspoken kind lady!!! I also agree that there are a lot of people who can't be bothered to say hey or even acknowledge your existence. We've got perhaps 10 or so trips under our belts in the last decade. Yes, agree also STT locals can be nicer than lots of STJ locals. Ladies at the grocery there at the one Big store can be openly rude at times. Lots of nice people too though we've encountered in our travels. No secret that the locals and I don't mean the US locals don't care about giving tourist the warm and fuzzies. We are visitors and lots of people don't care if they ever see us again. After a number of trips I realized I need to speak up to be recognized and treated well. I am now a lot more forward and outspoken then I am here at home. They seem to respect that and I noticed a change in attitude also. I Love Slim and his lady too.

Speaking of the French. Personally love Paris. I love the French people. I've been a couple of times in the last few years. Only two instances of rudeness in both trips. Both cab drivers. One from the Mid East, the other from Africa. Both horribly rude. Almost got out and walked once. I send clients to Paris all the time. They come back amazed at the great experience they end up having. I tell them, be nice to people and the people will be nice to you. Same as the USVI...greeting the minute you enter a store or business. Boujour or Good day goes a long way. Same as STJ, but islanders are a tougher crowd it seems. In Paris...first I try to speak bad French,then English and finally sometimes we communicate in German. Yes, they even like Germans in Paris.

Anyway, it's obvious lots of us have different experiences everywhere.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

We were stopped/paused at the stop sign by Cap's Place. Some fine gentleman took that opportunity to pelt our jeep with a peach pit.

I suppose I could have taken that opportunity to exit the jeep and ask said gentleman why he did so, but I think I know the answer.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote:Cat is out of the bag. I have to agree. I do not appreciate some of the rudeness we experience, despite our efforts to be nice.
I agree. I am not sure if I would classify it as rude it was mostly indifferent. At times I felt like I wasn't really welcome.

In puerto Rico I felt the locals were
very very rude. Others love going there. I am not sure what causes the differences in experiences.

xoxo
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

So this is why the chicken crossed the road. To crap on Ruth's steps. Ah yes, a very old question has just been answered. :wink:
JT wrote:
Boston Mike wrote:I just can't stand the snow. The roads are so tight down there that it is hard to get by the plows. You would think they would do a better job shoveling the steps of St. John Spice, like someone is going to get hurt wicked bad......

Seriously?

The only thing I can think of is the people that cannot adjust to island time and really don't know how to just chillax.
Mike, that's not snow on Ruth's steps. It's chicken crap.
Life begins where the land ends!