What don't you like?

Travel discussion for St. John
54b

Post by 54b »

Hate that when I'm out snorkeling with my wife, I can't stop thinking about my wallet, keys, camera, etc, that we left on the beach.

Never had anything stolen from me while I was on STJ, but I just can't get comfortable leaving that kind of stuff unattended.

Wish I could just let it go.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

suzanna945 wrote:The way my hair gets so frizzy when I'm there. Other than that, I'm good!
Not me! I love island hair! It's the only time I have body!
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

The roads are pretty tough on my stomach and I have to be extra careful of what I eat in the morning before all the activities start (they start with driving!) - no eggs or any kind of meat for me. Even when I'm extra careful I often get nauseous anyway.

However, those winding roads are a part of the charm of St. John (I believe), so I actually adore them... while my stomach screams differently.
Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

I dont like when the trip has to end. what a beautifull place to come and relax and enjoy yourself
Timethief

Post by Timethief »

54b wrote:Hate that when I'm out snorkeling with my wife, I can't stop thinking about my wallet, keys, camera, etc, that we left on the beach.

Never had anything stolen from me while I was on STJ, but I just can't get comfortable leaving that kind of stuff unattended.

Wish I could just let it go.

I hate swimming at Cinnamon Bay, and seeing the Peter Bay villas - too many, too big! But I guess elitists have to go somewhere!

54b, get an underwater camera (mine is a cute little Olympus, but considering the Canon 10D for the next trip) - take it with you - put the kets to the car )and the cash) in the zipped pocket of the swim trunks (yeah, we had a key fob on the Jeep's keys, too, but it didn't work when we got it, so no harm - besides, someone else probably did the same thing!), and leave the wallet under the floor tray in the trunk of the Jeep! Nothing left to steal! Except the towels, I suppose! And if you get to the beach by 10am, there is almost no one there!

Keep Smiling!!! :D
-Peter

I would much rather die while I am living, than live while I am dead!
dctac

Post by dctac »

I can't imagine anyone hating anything other than mosquito's and leaving....and cruise ship folks setting up on the beach right in front of your view from your beach chair! Then my wife telling me not to kindly asking them not to block Da view :) (but they always relocate (:
Ps If folks look cool we invite them to come and sit next to us and enjoy.............
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I don't PREFER going in season, but that is mostly because of the people (in numbers and attitudes).

I don't like all those pesky chickens cause they bug my buddy, Ruth.

Otherwise, I've pretty much died and gone to heaven on every trip.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

I'm with you on the bug thing. We ran into a tarantula at one of the villas we rented. Now, I hate spiders...of any size...but this guy was not a spider...he was a mammal.

Marsh dropped a glass around the pool deck area. The sound must have roused the tarantula from his home in a planter that was around the pool. He darted right into the pool. So, here I am...spider hater...watching the tarantula struggling in the pool. Angel/devil on the shoulders time...do I help him or do I let him perish?

I ended up fishing him out with the pool skimmer net. As he sat poolside collecting himself, however, I did take a broom and Bobby Hull him into the ether. I heard the thump of him landing far away. I'm pretty sure the brute survived...how could he not, he was built like a fist.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

SJfromNJ wrote:I hate large bugs. When I used to rent houses, I saw some really oversized bugs. They freak me out. I've seen big bugs everywhere, restaurants, beach, woods, stores, bars, and cars.

Ditto on that one...we rented a house this last trip...scorpion, deadly creepers (long black things everywhere) and other critters. Oh and it was a nice house...However, we have never run into the large bugs at the Westin in the timeshares or the hotel rooms.

Dislike the mosquitos as they love us.
Dislike Skinny legs bathrooms too as DH won't go back due to that reason.
Dislike the cost which is fairly high also.
Dislike the time spent traveling as it is Usually an overnight on the trip down and way back home. Due to the last two reasons I'll add my last...

Truly Hate the fact that it looks like we won't be back in 2011...so I'll keep my old ticker up until I can plan one in for 2012.
Last edited by Berlingirl on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
rpplano

Post by rpplano »

Tess' Dad wrote:The high tech security gate at the dock and the smell of the skinny legs bathroom.
Which is tougher? Skinny's or Woody's?
JT

Post by JT »

I don't like the Red Hook trip to get to STJ. I prefer the CA ferry andI don't like trips to STJ that are for less then 2 weeks. Better then none at all, I guess, but one week is sort of like a premature climax.
BTW-Skinny's was amazingly clean and odorless last month.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

I wish the island was more handicap friendly.
54b

Post by 54b »

Woody's bathroom takes the (urinal) cake for sure...not only is it disgusting, even for a dude, it's got the added bonus of a door that can't exactly be locked - which makes it really easy to meet new people and break the ice - and the hole in the wall which passes for a window to the alley is great too.

I will also apologize to the ladies on behalf of all the STJ male travelers...co-ed bathrooms should probably be against the laws of nature. Without getting graphic I will simply sum it up this way...

On the island in the sun, we don't flush for #1.
On the island in the heat, guys forget to lift the toilet seat.
On the island by the sea, it's better to stand when you pee.
Too bad it doesn't help with accuracy.

Thank you very much, don't forget to tip Cheryl.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow